| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Winnie Winston, a great crusader of steel
Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2005 4:30 pm    

I would like everyone that knows Winnie Winston to let him know how much his efforts have been appreciated in the world of steel guitar. His great book, written in the seventies has been a Bible to young aspiring players for thirty years. His unselfish contributions to the "Steel Guitar Hall of Fame" have been one of his more recent contributions to us players. It seems as though Winnie has spent much of his precious life helping others and giving of himself, just because of his unselfish love for steel and its players the world over.
As many of you now know, Winnie is not doing well in the health department. Somehow, I'd like for everyone to let him know how we feel now, and pray for him to shake the cancers that are giving him the run of his life.
Folks, believe me, this is one truly great steel guitar guy, and will never be forgotten.
His book is the first publication to explain steel guitar from the inside out, very well written and very factual. All this was done before the internet, before there was any way to promote it, and before anyone had ever thought to do anything like it. And yes, he built a very wonderful steel guitar that he played for many years, called: "The Steel", and I'm sure it was.
Winnie is in New Zealand now, from Philadelphia PA., I seem to remember.
Please let this great guy know that his efforts have been appreciated.
We love you Winnie!

[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 25 April 2005 at 05:31 PM.]

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2005 4:57 pm    

Hear here, it's true! Winnie's famous book (co-written with Bill Keith) is still an oft-used reference on my bookshelf. I copied his tuning when I switched to E9th in 1978. He has always been one of my idols, and I was delighted to meet him in person for the first time in St. Louis last year.

Winnie, you've been an inspiration to me for 30 years now. Thank you!

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs, Open Hearts
Sierra SD-12 (Ext E9), Williams D-12 Crossover, Sierra S-12 (F Diatonic)
Sierra Laptop 8 (E6add9), Fender Stringmaster (E13, C6, A6)
Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2005 5:27 pm    

I confess, I didn't know about Winnie's book when I was learning steel, I lived in a very small town and there wasn't much of a bookstore.

I learned about Winnie from the Forum, and from there I found Winnie's website http://www.julianwinston.com .

From Winnie's posts on so many important aspects of the steel guitar, I've learned many things that I didn't know even after playing steel for many years, and Winnie's website also has great info on the mechanics and design of the pedal steel, background on the writing of his book, lots of useful and interesting info.

From reading Winnie's bio on his website and his posts here, I feel like I've come to know him a bit, even though we've never met.

I have utmost respect and admiration for Winnie Winston and his accomplishments. Most of us will not scratch the surface of what he's done for the pedal steel guitar.

Winnie, I wish you the very best, you're a real hero to all of us here.

[This message was edited by Jim Phelps on 25 April 2005 at 07:09 PM.]

John Drury

Gallatin, Tn USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2005 5:33 pm    

Bobbe,

Amen to that! Winnie has done about as much as anyone to promote steel guitar. I wore that book out reading it. Any questions one could ask about steel guitar is pretty well covered by his book.

Thank you Winnie, and get well soon.

------------------
John Drury
NTSGA #3

Eli Hall

Lousville, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2005 5:40 pm    

I was one of the ones who must have bought the first copies of the Oak Publications book and this may sound cliche, but it changed my life.

The simple and clear explanantion of musich theory would have been enough but then to add on to that the excellent history of the pedal steel guitar, illustrated examples, encouraging expalnations of pick blocking AND some actual songs (on an acetate sheet nonetheless!) was just more than a fellow could ask for at that time (the dark ages of the pre-internet era as Bobbe mentioned)!

It makes me sad to hear of Winnie's struggles with cancer and I wish him well. Most of all, I just want him to know I appreciate his work.

I would also like to thank Jim Phelps for pointing out Winnie's excellent web site!

------------------
Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 25 Apr 2005 5:45 pm    

Yes Eli, everyone needs to see this web-site, It says a lot about Winnie.
Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2005 5:55 pm    

I consider Winnie a good friend and my heart goes out to him. We have the same medical problem which we discuss from time to time.

He has been strong during his ordeal and has given me the strength and belief that I will lick the issue and I feel so bad that I have and he still fights for his life.

I pray that somehow Winnie will beat this problem. Book or no book, he's a man in my eyes.
Larry Lorows

Zephyrhills,Florida, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2005 6:18 pm    

I never met Winnie but I saw him play along with Jimmy Day down in NYC back in the 70's I think. I bought his book as soon as I learned about it. I remember studying all of the copedents in the back of the book trying to figure out,"Well, what does he do with that" ha ha I still haven't figured it out. Winnie's book and Jeff Newmans's Universal course are the two most helpful courses I have. Thank you Winnie.

------------------
U12 Williams keyless 400
Evans SE 150, Nashville 112, Line 6 pod xt
Lyle Clary

Decatur, Illinois, KC9VCB
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2005 6:19 pm    

Winnie, I send my regards. I recently was given your book by a new friend steeler in Texas. I wish I had had it 35 years ago when I started playing. It was the school of hard knocks, playing along with records, and saying how did he do that. If I had had your book I might have been able to figure it out.

------------------
Lyle Clary

Decatur, Illinois, KC9VCB
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2005 6:20 pm    

Winnie, I send my regards. I recently was given your book by a new friend steeler in Texas. I wish I had had it 35 years ago when I started playing. It was the school of hard knocks, playing along with records, and saying how did he do that. If I had had your book I might have been able to figure it out.

------------------
Mark Krutke

Tomahawk, WI USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2005 6:50 pm    

When I was in my teens, that "Pedal Steel Guitar" book was the only thing I had to go on for a long time before I started one on one lessons. I love that book, from the tab of "A Mighty Fortress" right down to the little question marks in the pedal arrangement that never revealed Curly Chalker's complete copedant. Wish you the best, Winnie.

------------------

www.authenticrecording.com
Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2005 6:55 pm    

I sincerely hope that Winnie will be able to beat this and get well again.

Although I had been playing my 1942 Gibson Electra-Harp for about 20 years before Winnie came out with that book, I did get one and still have it.

I thought it was an amazing in depth publication for new steel players. I don't believe there was anything like it at the time.

I hope you can continue contributing your writings in the PSGA Newsletter.

Get well Winnie so you can attend Scotty's in St. Louis again this year as you did in 1977 when I first met you....al.

------------------
My Website..... www.cmedic.net/~almarcus/

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2005 7:07 pm    

Winnie was the very first person I looked up when I moved to Philadelphia in 1984, and I had the pleasure of taking some lessons from him, observing him closely, and getting to play alongside him from time to time. Those were good years here in Philly. I had the honor of playing steel at his going away party when he moved to New Zealand. Winnie, you've been an important part of my life and my development as a musician and steel guitarist, and I thank you deeply for all of that and I wish you all the best of health as you deal with this.
Your bud,
JC

[This message was edited by Jim Cohen on 25 April 2005 at 08:08 PM.]

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2005 7:49 pm    

Winnie and I ave been close friends ever since we met over 20 years ago. The last 2 times he was in America, he spent his last hours and ate his last meals here with me.

He told me about the cancer when he was first diagnosed and asked that I not tell anybody. because he didn't want people feeling sorry for him.

I remember in 1988 we were having lunch together at the convention. At the time he was in the process of divorcing his first wife. He was pretty upset about it, and quite emotional, pretty close to the point of tears, when somebody recognosed him and burst into the conversation, saying "Oh It's Winnie Winston. Winnie, I gotta ask you, what is the purpose of the E to F knee lever?"

My heart went out to him then, as it goes out to him now.
Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 25 Apr 2005 8:35 pm    

Winnie is a wonderful guy, but so are you guys. Makes me realize how great our little world of steel is.
DeWitt Scott

St. Louis, Missouri, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2005 8:41 pm    

You can count me in on all the nice comments that have been made about Winnie in previous posts. I have stocked his book all these years and Winnie will be pleased to know that they are still selling. I agree with Bobbe Seymour-The Steel Guitar Book by Winnie Winston has been like a "Bible" to us all for many years. It was Winnie that compiled and edited the "A Manual Of Style" instruction book for Jimmie Crawford, Terry Bethel, John Hughey and Weldon Myrick. That book is still being sold today. We owe a lot to you Winnie...I hope that you survive this problem and get to feeling better real soon. Scotty
KENNY KRUPNICK

Columbus, Ohio
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2005 9:06 pm    

Thank you Winnie for the book! I bought mine back in 1980.
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2005 10:06 pm    

I can remember in the mid 70's when I was first introduced to the pedal steel guitar a guy said- "Oh- you don't have "The Bible"? Go to the bookstore and ask for Winnie Winston's book" and from that point on my life changed. I read it from cover to cover a number of times and spent hours and hours lying on the floor going over the various setups that were listed in the back trying to figure out why each player did what he did and just what I was going to try to incorporate in the brand spanking new Tobacco Brown lacquer MSA 12 string that I was about to order. Even though it was over 30 years ago it still seems like yesterday. Thanks Winnie- you changed my life forever.
John Davis

Cambridge, U.K.
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2005 10:25 pm    

Best wishes for you Winnie.
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2005 11:08 pm    

i have'nt had the pleasure of meetin Winnie as many of you have
Thanx to Winnie & the Bible, i got to pickin' when i was in the desert
i was lost but since i found
Thank you so very much Winnie for all that you have done to the realm of steelin'
wishin' you & prayin' for the best to ya' Winnie
Ray Minich

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2005 7:51 am    

1977, Omar's Music in Olean, NY, bought a MSA 10 string with 3 & ? (don't remember), and a copy of Winnie's book. A divorce took the MSA away from me for a while, but not Winnie's book. For many, many months I would get the book out, study it, and yearn/pine/long for an ax to study on. (Whilst listening to Tom Cattin' or the Rainbow LP). Some real "cryin' in one's beer" moments.

Later, when I finally got my Dekley, Winnie's book was my initiation.

Winnie, your book got me thru a lot of "trying" times...
Jerry Hendrix

Manistee, Michigan, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2005 8:49 am    

Thank you Winnie for all your past efforts
and what you have done for the Steel Guitar.
I am so glad I got to meet you at Scotty`s
ISGC in 1977. Al Marcus and I both bought
your book right then & there. Winnie, hang
in there & fight this thing tooth & nail.
We know you can beat it, & we all need you.
Thanks again pal for sharing your Knowledge.
Jerry Hendrix.
Tom Bradshaw

Walnut Creek, California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2005 9:09 am    

Winnie and I have been friends for over 40 years. Back when he told me about his plans to write an instruction/information manual, he said he would like some pictures to include in it. I provided him with a bunch. He ended up giving me photo credit, when I wasn't the person who took several of them! I loved all of those credits toward me, never telling him. So Winnie, I hope you never got any flack about that. When the manual was published I had to be a dealer in its sale. I sold hundreds over the next 20 years. It probably saved my mail order business, but I couldn't bring myself to tell him so, because I thought he might never let me forget it! So Winnie, here's a tip of my hat to you.

Winnie's second authoring was "A Manual of Styles", collaborating with Jimmy Crawford. Again, when I listed it in my third catalog, it saved my bacon again. Over the years of reading his writings in the PSGA's Newsletter, I stole scores of his ideas. I guess now is a good time to acknowledge those thefts and provide payback by giving him his due. When I published Steel Guitarist magazine I called on Winnie to write for it, promising him massive pay for each of his informative columns. Winnie, I'm sorry that I lost my checkbook before getting around to sending you your pay.

Winnie has never hesitated in telling me when my head was (or should have been) in a dank place. And, with every conflict I've had with others, he has defended me when people have said, "Tom isn't fit to pick @#$% with the chickens." Winnie has always assured them that I was fit to do that. That is the kind of friend everyone should have. So what can I say other than, "Winnie, you're loved by more people than you'll ever know, and I'm one of them."
John Poston

Albuquerque, NM, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2005 9:46 am    

This post comes at a very interesting time.

I've had a copy of the book and never got around to it because I've been taking lessons for a couple years and didn't have much time to work non-lesson material.

Well, this past weekend I had a couple hours to kill so I worked on some stuff from the book for fun and I ended up using some ideas from it in my Sat. night show and probably played the best solo of my life.

Thanks to Winnie Winston!
David Ziegler

Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2005 10:00 am    

I bought Winnie's book on ebay about a month after I bought my guitar because I didn't know where to even begin. A few days later I got an email from Winnie telling me he saw that I purchased the book and if I had any questions to email him and he would try to help me out! That would ONLY happen in the steel guitar community. It is a tribute to the love Winnie has for the instrument and all of us that play(or try to play) it. Thanks Winnie, that gesture meant more to me than I can ever tell you.
Dave Z.