| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Guitar Gig in NYC
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2005 1:29 pm    

I have just quit the gig I've been doing for two and half years. It's been a real good run. Much fun. Much advancement for me. Much stress from the nature of the gig. I'm moving on.
This is the almost semi-legendary Sunday Night at Hank's Saloon in Brooklyn weekly residency. I will be real happy to answer any questions and fill in any details for anyone who wants to consider either the steady gig or maybe some sort of part time status. Bob Hoffnar is gonna be doing a bunch of shows but I assume that he won't be committing to long term steady work (and if I'm wrong, then I'm way out of line and I'm way sorry!).
The band is getting busy with other gigs and I'm getting out now because I have no interest in this increased schedule and I want to give the band a shot at finding someone more suited to the direction they are heading.
Shoot me an email if you want info, details, dirt, whatever, and I'll give you the contact info if you want it. The gig is a mixed blessing and I won't sugar coat any of it. I'll tell you all you need to know.
For damned sure, I will miss being a part of this. But obviously I wouldn't be leaving if there weren't good reasons to do so.
HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2005 3:35 pm    

Oh no.....Jon say it ain't so! I know I haven't been by lately. I hope that's not the reason you're leaving...

Well, it was a fun run. I always enjoyed my "winter schedule" of Sunday night Gypsy Jazz and then onto Honky Tonk Hank's to see you and shoot the breeze during breaks. Gonna miss those burgers & soul sausages.

It's the end of an era. End times, my friend, end times.....

Do they need a dobro player?
Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2005 1:18 pm    

End times indeed. Cats and dogs of the same sex are living in apartments. John Ratzenberger, Cliff Clavin! is pope (or so it is my understanding--I just skim the newspapers). And I drank the last of Hank's Rebel Yell. Yep, time to move on.
Way, truly sincerely, the pleasure of looking up from my guitar and seeing you there, Howard, was always great.
Of course the only difference is going to be that I won't be there. The thing will go on.

I am real happy to return to saner hours in my life--I was really starting to get run down in the long term--it was taking longer into the week to recover from Sunday night. But I couldn't be more ambivilent about walking away from this trememdous training ground and this bunch of pretty good folks.