| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Magnatone MOT pickup
Frank James Pracher

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2012 10:36 pm    

I put this over here and not in electronics because I wanted to hear from any Magnatone owners who have delt with this issue.

One of my Maggies (same style as the one in my avatar) had an unusual problem. The output on the bass strings was really weak. This seems odd as this is not a split coil and the magnet is one sort of "u" shaped piece. Can one side of the magnet get weak? Seems Weird. The coil checked fine.

Not wanting to cut into the MOT. I came up with a fix that I wanted to share with you. I took three tiny ( about 3/16 or so, less than 1/8 of an inch thick) magnets and stuck them to the pickup magnet under the strings. Presto! All six are putting out even sound. I wish I knew what was going on. But I am glad I got it working again.

And as far as sound goes I can't hear a difference from my other Maggies of the same era.

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2012 11:45 am    

A cure without surgery is always a blessing.
Frank James Pracher

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2012 12:22 pm     Jason Lollar is the man!!!!

As it turns out I got the problem fixed with a little advise from Mr. Lollar. He is a great guy. I sent an email to him at the same time I posted. He got back with me the next day and told me what some of the options were.
I just happened to have a couple of nice size ( ie finger crushing) rare earth magnets hanging around from a windmill project and I was able to recharge the magnet. Worked like a charm! The strings sound nice and balanced now.
He is a great friend to the steel guitar community and to DIY'ers.

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2012 2:18 pm    

That's some great personal response. If you do a search on this site for Magnatone, you'll find several very informative discussions on the magnet issues.

My Varsity already had the MOT cut out around the p/u when I got it. They commonly have an issue wherein the 50 year old wax that the magnet and coils are sealed in, has dried out and the magnet has become loose. My magnet had pulled out, I think, through the attraction to the strings and the metal hand guard. I took my wife's hair dryer and heated the wax up until it was soft. I then used a bamboo skewer (popsicle stick would work too) to push it around the magnet and when the wax cooled the magnet was secure again and sounded great. (the wax stunk!)

I don't know if you are having that issue since it sounds like your MOT over the p/u is still intact. I would be concerned that if you are laying magnets over the MOT, you may be encouraging your magnet to put free from the wax if it is dried out at all. I had no issue w/my MOT being cut away as it cannot be seen when the hand guard is in place.

At any rate, I encourage you to search out the other discussions and have fun w/your Magnatone. I love mine. It has a very nice vintagey midrange and is a blast to play.
Frank James Pracher

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2012 6:45 pm    

Thanks for the tip. No danger of the small magnets pulling the big magnet up, as it was stuck right to it. The pick up is just under the MOT so it there was just the thin MOT in between.
I was worried that when I recharged the magnet that my big neodynuim magnet would pull up the Maggies but it did not.
The smell of that wax is legendary.
I will check for the old post on recharging the magnets. I looked before but I couldn't find anything.

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2012 7:05 pm    

Sorry to mislead, the posts weren't on magnetizing, just on potting. Sounds like you have things well under control. Very Happy