| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  miniature pedal steel models.
Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2012 12:15 am    

I have been tinkering with the idea of making a miniature pedal steel replica for some time. Just a little project to pass the time when I should be practicing the real thing. But I believe it would be beneficial to learning how the instrument works, or at least the fundementals of rodding and what not.
Im talking like a little cabinet around the size of a carton of smokes, made with nice wood, little tiny bell cranks and some type of wire for pull rods. Tuners would be a problem but something would work out. I've never built a model anything so this sounds like a difficult yet fun project. I want to try to make it as functional as possible. But something tells me that little pedals will not have enough tension for raises and lowers.

Skovde, Sweden
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2012 5:14 am    

Sounds fiddly. Winking
richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2012 11:44 am    

If you're going to go to all the trouble of making a scale model, why not make a fully-functioning full size steel?
That's how I got started on steels, I didn't know anything about them at all, so I designed my own from the ground up.

It was quite a learning curve Very Happy
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2012 11:48 am    

Barry Thomas (Thomas Steel Guitars) built a mini PSG that was playable. It's been a while, but I do remember him showing it to me. He sat on the floor and it had pedals and knee levers that worked. The frets would intonate perfectly(is there such a thing?) as he went up the neck. The body probably wasn't much bigger than you are talking about. Does anyone have any pics or other info about Barry's guitar.

Someone must know how to get in touch with Barry. I haven't talked to him or seen him since he moved to Oklahoma. I would love to get in touch with him again. Please don't post his contact info here for all the world to see.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Sherman Willden

Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2012 3:45 pm    

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=167478&highlight=chelsea
Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2012 5:34 pm    

Haha I just came across that miniature ZB steel yesterday before I posted my idea on the forum. I was just searching to see if anyone had the same idea I did. Think... some people like building model cars. why not a model pedal steel. I was actually thinking of something even progressively smaller. Even down to size of a pack of cigarettes steel.

Also Why I wouldnt build a full size steel is simply the price of materials. I would love to but i just don't have the means.

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2012 8:05 pm    

Hi Jeff,

Is this what you had in mind?

I built this model Emmons pedal steel 27 years ago this month. I was about a week shy of my 18th birthday. God, how time flies...Anyway, as you can see, I had a few details wrong. The most glaring one is that the right endplate indicates that it's a push-pull, even though I've written "LeGrande" on the pedal rack. At the time, I didn't have many resources to use as a guide. I was not playing steel then, either. I had only been playing 6-string about a little over a year and knew very little about steels.

I thought it was interesting that you had an interest in building model steels and I remembered that I had this one.
Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2012 9:09 pm     wow

that is too cool, just what I was thinking. What is the scale? I dont expect you to know exactly but what is it the samr size as? Its awesome! Does it function? Thanks
Jeff

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2012 9:47 pm    

Thanks! I didn't make it to scale. I used a miniature model 6-string guitar that I'd made as a reference for the neck scale length.

I do have the dimensions:

Cabinet from front apron to rear: approx. 1.5"
Height from top of strings to leg tips: 4"
Width from endplate to endplate: 4"

Unfortunately, it doesn't function. The only parts that move are the spring-loaded rear RKL and the rear legs, which can be raised or lowered.
Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2012 10:59 am    

Very cool Fred !

I didn't notice the End Plate until you mentioned it.
The error that caught my eye was the position markers.

I'd like to see a picture with a Quarter (25 cent piece) next to it.
Fred Eddie-Quartey

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jan 2012 2:39 pm    

Thanks, Joey! At the time, I didn't have any literature which showed the fret boards from the top so I had to improvise.

I'll post another pic with a quarter for scale, and I might also include the volume pedal, seat, and Peavey amp I made for the steel as well - if I can find them.
Alfred Ewell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2012 8:37 pm    

Per Berner wrote:
Sounds fiddly. Winking

Fred Eddie-Quartey

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2012 5:25 pm    

Here are a couple more pics, this time with a quarter for scale. I've also included the volume pedal as well:

Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2012 10:42 pm    

This is ridiculous! Your mind must produce some of the same crazy ideas that mine does. I hope we can start a craze!. Think of some of the beautiful lacquer guitars people could make. If you could get one that size to function i would die! Imagine plugging it up to that little nv400 and making a recording. Hell why not make an entire GOOD SOUNDING ALBUM on all 1/100 scale instruments! haha

McHenry, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2012 12:26 pm    

Okay, the mini steel has already been made. How about a GIANT pedal steel? I'm thinking 2 stories high and about 75 feet long. Fully functioning mind you.

Greenwell Springs, Louisiana (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2012 5:09 am    

Fred Glave wrote:
... I'm thinking 2 stories high and about 75 feet long ...

I reckon my ex-wife would be large enough to play a guitar that size if she were a steel player ... Shocked Laughing (Sorry, couldn't resist that; when a Godzilla-like ex-wife makes the Wicked Witch of the West seem attractive, it's hard to resist poking a joke about her!) LOL
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)
Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Greenwell Springs, Louisiana (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2012 5:24 am    

Now that I've recovered from laughing at the idea of my behemoth ex-wive playing a giant steel guitar, I gotta get serious here.

Fred, I love that little Emmons model you made. That is so cool ... very nice job on it! In 1976 I got so enthused about buying my first double neck guitar that I made a miniature model of it out of balsa wood. It was about 4" long and sort of crappy looking, but you could tell it was a steel. I'm not sure what I did with that little guitar (I have a vague recollection of giving it to Maurice Anderson, but I can't remember if I actually did or if I'd just thought about giving it to him ... it's hell being in the late 50s where little details like that escape your memory! Laughing).

Seeing your pics has me fired up to try my hand at making a model of my 1986 Mullen. I may have to try that one day. If I do, I'll post some photos of it. Smile
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)
Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2012 7:17 am    

That is great, Fred! I really like the mini road case with the cords and volume pedal as well. What's the next step to raise the difficulty factor...building one inside a bottle like the ship model guys?
Fred Eddie-Quartey

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2012 1:27 pm    

Thanks for the compliments, guys! I was thinking of making a more accurate model with better materials but just haven't had the time. At the time I made these, I had all the time in the world - to be young again! I'd be interested to see what any of you can come up with!
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2012 2:18 pm    

Jack Harper

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2012 5:33 am    

i see him on the forum, fron time to time, steeler ronnie neighbors of hot springs, arkansas, built a fully functional pedal steel for his way less than teenage daughter about 30 years ago.
after she grew out of it he had it on display at his music store. he is retired now, but still plays steel shows. was once a young texas playboy, for bob.

country.........
John Peay

Cumming, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2012 10:27 am    

Man, what great Christmas tree ornaments these minature steels would make!