| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Deep South Steel, April 2nd
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2005 4:15 am    

Greetings. Hope all are back home safe and sound from that great Dallas show. What an experience that was!! Thanks to TSGA for that bonanza.
Our steel line up for our April 2nd show here in Gulfport, Mississippi is looking pretty good. Headliner will be the imcomparable "Tennessee Waltz" steel king-Roy Ayres. Roy has had a few months under his belt with his new EXCEL by now and is really ready to amaze us all with the sounds of how it really was in the good ole days when he was the feature steel player with Pee Wee King and The Golden West Cowboys. So glad Roy is back with our steel world now and it is a great pleasure to have hime with us.
The player list is still forming so should you desire a spot, just let me know. See you all soon....Thanks.

Bill Stafford
Roy Ayres

Riverview, Florida, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2005 7:16 am    

Hey, Bill.

Boy, you have done it now! By posting such a complimentary write-up you are causing me to have to practice a lot before the show. Hope I can live up to your expectations.

Seriously, though, we are getting anxious to see you, Betty, R.J. and our other friends there in Ole Mississippi -- the state of my birth. Will Hal Higgins be there this time? I hope so because I would like to hear his inspired vocal rendition of The Lord's Prayer again. And how about ole Ben O'Dell to lay down that solid bass backup?

See you in 18 days, so get that 14-stringer (the big sister to my single-10 6+4 Excel Superb) warmed up to give us some of those beautiful big chords.

------------------

Visit my Web Site at RoysFootprints.com
Browse my Photo Album and be sure to sign my Guest Book.

Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2005 8:26 am    

Here is hoping that I will be able to come.
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2005 8:52 am    

HI Roy, Hal should be able to be here this time. He is planning on it in any case. We have plenty of display areas so bring all your CDs, banners, etc and we will set you up just right. Looking forward to the Friday night frolics at R.J.'s restaurant too. He has a great family restaurant, no booze, and lots of good country and gospel and blue grass music during all the various venues the he, R.J. puts on.
Reggie, it will be another special treat for you to be here also. WOW-two players of the A list here with us..Hope you can make it and do not leave you steel at home..Let me know and give me a time frame you would like to have.....aim to please and appreciate you and Roy and all the rest too....All are special to us.

Bill Stafford
Roland Buras

Kiln, MS, 45 miles east of New Orleans off I-10 USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2005 1:27 pm    

Bill , Iam excited about the April 2cd steel show coming up here on the Mississippi Gulf coast. I was thinking if David Doggett could have been here for that it would have been great. Looking forward to hearing Mr Roy Ayers on that new Excel.. and now to read that Reggie Duncan may be there really sets the scene for one great day of steel pickin. That Reggie is amazing and his ole Pushpull ain't that bad either' really it is amazing as well. Looking forward to Hal Higgins on the Lord's Prayer and Hal's Steel playing comes in 2cd to none he is one of the best E9th players i guess i have ever heard, and Mr.Ben O'well i mean Odell on that there Bass Guitar and his tremendous singing is always a treat for the gang after all He is our "PRESIDENT" and doing a great job. Ben if you or free we would like you to come to the fish house Friday night to keep us guy's right. Everyone is welcome to the Lakeside Fish Camp April 1st, Friday night Mr Roy Ayers will be doing quite a production along with Bill Stafford, Hal Higgins, Jerry Jaye, RJ Buras, hopefully Ken Amacker, Howard tate and many others that or more than welcome. Including you Bro Reggie.

Roland
Excel SD12 8x5

[This message was edited by Roland Buras on 15 March 2005 at 01:29 PM.]

Mike Hoover

Franklin, TN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Mar 2005 5:03 pm    

Dang it!!

I got to work that weekend

Mike
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2005 3:18 am    

Dang it too, Mike. You will be missed and I guess ole Ben will have to straighten out on his own this time..(possible??)
David Easley will have the three pm slot on the program.
More later.

Bill Stafford
Hal Higgins

Denham Springs, LA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2005 7:37 am    

Bill......it's gonna be a real treat to be with Mr. Roy Ayers and his lovely wife Laurie. They're such fine folks. To hear this "steel guitar legend" once again will be just awesome. The "Friday Frolic" out at Lakeside Fish Camp in So. Picayune (RJ's) will be a great time. I guess Ben's just gonna have to play a little more this time without Mike Hoover coming.....We're gonna miss ya Mike.......More later for sure. HAL

------------------
Be Blessed........HAL
'85 Emmons LeGrande D-10,(8 & 6) Hilton Vol. Pedal, BJS Birthstone bar, Rack w/Evans Pre-amp, Lexicon MPX500; (2)1501-4 BW's in custom built cabs by T.A. Gibson, & Sound Tech PL802 Digital Power Amp.

Mike Hoover

Franklin, TN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2005 8:11 pm    

Well I have got 15 month to work, then I will be retarded uh retired, then I can pester you'll more often. I know it will be a great show, and I am sorry that I will miss Roy, I have heard a lot about him (all good)

Mike
Roland Buras

Post  Posted 16 Mar 2005 8:51 pm    

Hey Mike i got it .. Just work 4 10's this week and be with us. We or gonna miss you .

Roland
Howard Tate

Leesville, Louisiana, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2005 5:59 am    

I'm really hoping that I can make it, I always look forward to it. It's worth the trip just to hear Bill Stafford, and I've been hoping to meet and hear Roy Ayres and Reggie Duncan. I should know soon if I can come.

------------------
Howard, 'Les Paul Recording, Zum S12U, Vegas 400, Boss ME-5, Boss DM-3
http://www.Charmedmusic.com

Roy Ayres

Post  Posted 17 Mar 2005 9:48 am    

Hey, Mike and Howard,

Don't come there to hear me -- you may be disappointed. The main reason I go is to hear Bill, Hal. R.J. and Ben. I just play so I can say I shared the stage with those great musicians.

------------------

Hal Higgins

Denham Springs, LA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2005 10:57 am    

Got some bad news.......I'm not going to make the 2nd.......got to be in a certification seminar on that day.....but am gonna try and make the "Friday Frolic" at the Lakeside Fish Camp.

------------------
Be Blessed........HAL
'85 Emmons LeGrande D-10,(8 & 6) Hilton Vol. Pedal, BJS Birthstone bar, Rack w/Evans Pre-amp, Lexicon MPX500; (2)1501-4 BW's in custom built cabs by T.A. Gibson, & Sound Tech PL802 Digital Power Amp.

Mike Hoover

Franklin, TN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2005 7:11 pm    

Roland

That is one of the problems, I work 8 10's. Start on the 1st and work till the 8th, then start the 16th and work till the 24th, kinda throws a kink in every other weekend. Oh well any way gonna miss the fun.

Roy,
From what I have heard, you don't have to share the stage with any one, you can do it by your self, any way down the road I will get to hear for my self.

Mike

[This message was edited by Mike Hoover on 17 March 2005 at 07:17 PM.]

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2005 3:23 am    

Mike, you will be missed and thought about.
HOward, hope you can be here. Let me know as soon as possible so I can get you on the schedule of players.
And YES, Roy Ayres is a major player in our steel guitar world. It is great to have him on our program coming up. Glad he is back in our steel guitar world. Another legend back in the fold so we can hear him again.
Thanks to all for all the interest.
Hal, you will be missed. Glad you have the opportunity with that new job. Hope it all works out for you and your family.
Thanks guys.
PS: Ben O'Dell will have his own show during this upcoming program. Do not know what he has planned, but it will be most entertaining-knowing Ben...

Bill Stafford
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2005 1:05 pm    

Things are looking up for a really good time. Glad to hear that Hal will be coming in a little later during the afternoon. Maybe Ben will just have to have an encore show......??? Hopefully, I will have a mystery guest on the piano if all works out.

Bill Stafford
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2005 3:02 am    

Again, as usual, things are looking better all the time. "Big" Will Stewart has just confirmed. If there is anyone on the planet that loves steel guitar more than "Big", I have yet to hear of him, her, or them. This man's determination is a lesson for all of us and his presence is greatly respected and appreciated. Thanks "Big" for this great pleasure. See you soon. Happy Easter to all.

Bill Stafford
Roland Buras

Post  Posted 24 Mar 2005 6:33 pm    

Hi Bill, the house is fillin up, just recieved email from Reggie Duncan that he is planning to be one of our guest Friday and Saturday at the Gulfcoast Steel show. Also recieved info that Gary moore, HerbieStewart and Herman Wainwright from Mobile is going to be there Saturday morning. I Emailed Steve Spitz in New Orleans and invited him to the show and to bring his guitar.
Dr Levi Johnson called me today and confirmed his coming also from Lake Charles La. Get ready gang we or going to have a good'n

Roland Buras
Excel SD12 8x5
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2005 6:45 pm    

Really looking forward to hearing Reggie Duncan along with Roy Ayres and David Easley. Doesn't get any better than that. We will have a full schedule and a grand time this coming Saturday. Thanks to all for their support here in Gulfport, Mississippi. I hear the Ben O'Dell show iw warming up pretty good. The mystery piano player has just been confirmed this evening along with the mystery steel player of Ben's. He won't tell me who they are. Just have to come and find out...I have a photo of the mystery steel player but do not know how to post it on the forum. Guess that is good news. lol

Bill Stafford
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2005 4:35 am    

And the news just keeps getting better. Email this morning from Billy Carr. He will be on stage this Saturday along with Reggie Duncan, Big Will Stewart, Royce Tarver, David Easley, R.J. Buras, our special feature-Roy Ayres and more local steel players. And don't forget the Ben O'Dell show with the mystery steel guitarist. (I understand Ben has a photo of this guy-let us see this mystery, Ben). J.R. Jones will have his show also with another mystery. Full of mysteries and fun here, so come visit.

Bill Stafford
Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2005 8:02 am    

Bill Stafford, Billy Carr, RJ Buras, Hal Higgins, Big Will Stewart, Royce Tarver, David Easley, Roy Ayres, and Ben O'Dell?
My feet are getting very, very cold.
Laurie Ayres

Riverview, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2005 12:57 pm    

Ben & Bill: We are getting packed as we speak! We are so excited about seeing everyone again, seeing the surprises and hear all that wonderful playing! One more day and we leave! Woopie!! Laurie
Ben ODell

Agricola, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2005 5:28 pm    

UH-HUH Bill:
I do have the photo of the mystery steel player and I don't know how to post in in here. Good thing though. I sure ain't a pretty sight. But thank you very much for forwarding it to me.

Sure hate I can't make it over to the fish house this time R.J. Gonna be tied up at the V.A. with little brother all day Friday, and you know this ole boy gotta have his rest before the big deal Saturday.

Ya'll need to know the honest truth about Mike. Mike is the railroad's main man out there in Arkansas. It's a full time job finding all them hill people to stand out there, with them flags, at crossings. He works on the signal crew. Told me the other day, he climbed a 500 foot tower just to wave a lantern, telling a Choo-Choo driver he just got to Arkansas.

Looking forward to seeing all the super talent Bill has lined up. Sounds like a fun day. Course my old friend Ed Clark will take the heat off me.

Ya'll come hungry cause they cook the best steak around. And come prepared to stay all day.

Ben O'Dell

------------------
If it ain't got steel in it, It Ain't
Mike Hoover

Franklin, TN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Mar 2005 7:50 pm    

Bill,
I would be very careful on this one, I have seen the picture. I would say more, but there might be children on here.

In AR we can't afford to install lectrit wirs to them road crossing, so we have to rely on flags in day light and karosen lites at nite

Mike

[This message was edited by Mike Hoover on 30 March 2005 at 07:54 PM.]

Roy Ayres

Post  Posted 31 Mar 2005 9:14 am    

Bill,

We'll be there before dark tomorrow. Tell R.J. to hang the lantern out at the fish camp.

------------------