| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Right hand symptoms
Phil Halton

Holyoke, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2011 8:42 am    

Last night I played for a few hours. I hadn't been playing all that regularly for a while, and this morning I woke up with numbness and tingling in the right thumb, and to a lesser degree in the forefinger as well.

Keeping the elbow close in to the ribs and wrist bent in that odd shape we use no doubt is the culpret. I took a few ibuprophin to help take down any inflamation, and I suppose rest is the prescription. I just hope there's no permanent nerve damage. Anybody have experience with this sort of thing.

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2011 9:39 am    

I'd look at guitar height, as many keep their guitars too high, causing a hump at the wrist, causing nerve and tendon binding. I'd also try stretching exercises.
Keith Davidson

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2011 9:53 am    

Phil, I would have to agree with Lane on this one. I've only been playing for about 19 months but only changed the height of my steel within the last 8 months.

Didn't realize what a difference it would make. Basically your right arm should be straight or higher than the pad or your strings.

The biggest thing I noticed was how much easier it was to see the fretboard, I know that sounds a bit weird but by adjusting my seat up a few inches it made it much more comfortable for my arms and wrists and overall posture but also enabled me to see the movements I was going to make much easier.

The other thing may be simply the fact that you hadn't played in a while and then stuck in a few hours practice all of a sudden.

Unused muscles will tell you when they are overworked, especially when you are older - like me.....lol

Maybe breaking up your practice routines to 15 minutes at different times through the day may help.
Phil Halton

Holyoke, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2011 1:22 pm    

[quoteWell, I've got the height thing covered - my arm is level, if not a little higher at the elbow. Besides though, there's only so much height you can add, unless, of course, you don't have any knees.

My posture is good, and the height is right. I think I may have just slept on the arm funny as the bicep muscle is also acting a little weird.

As far as breaking up the practice sessions - I don't know, when I finally get around to sitting down at the steel, the next thing I know, several hours have past - its just too much fun.