| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Roland Amp Success Stories Anyone?
Chuck Blake

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2011 10:04 am    

I have read all that has been previously posted on the Roland XL Cube amps and before buying I was hoping for a few more shared success stories. I'm selling my Fender boat anchor and looking very seriously at the Roland and the Peavey Nashville 112 (pricey).

Thanks
Chuck
Clark Doughty

KANSAS
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2011 11:14 am     roland amp

If you find a good used one (NV-112) on the forum for about $400 which is not hard to do you'll pay the going rate for the Roland Cube 80 for about $379 but with the Nashville you'll actually have a real stell guitar amp................cd
Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2011 12:10 pm    

And what model would that boat anchor be Surprised I have the Cube 60. I think the Cube has proven to be the best "success" story for steel players for being portable, with some effects, and light to carry. For small venues or a practice amp at home, I don't think it can be beat for price, features & value.
Theres one for sale by forumite George in "buy & sell"
Chuck Blake

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2011 12:26 pm    

Clark I'm thinking about the 80XL Cube rather than the 60.

Kevin when I started learning the psg I was talked into buying (before I found the Forum) a Fender 212R by a local store, he said it was just what I needed (I think it was just what he needed to sell). It weighs around 50 lbs however I see the Nashville 112 and the Roland are lighter.

Shipping is the real killer when buying an amp. I found a new 80 XL that requires a 30 mile drive. To date I haven't found a 112 within a reasonable drive.
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2011 1:44 pm    

I own the previous model (the Roland Cube 80X) during a clearance sale and am very happy with it. It's light (35 pounds), loud and sounds good to my ears. As with other Cube models, the paint on the hardware can get scratched easily, but I bought a slip cover to help keep it relatively clean.
I agree the Nashville 112 is a great amp - every one I've played, I've liked. However, the Roland Cube 80 was just the best priced amp for my needs.
David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2011 4:28 pm    

I've owned 3 NV-112's. One I bought new, one was used, and one was used with the upgrade chips. The sound was good but nowhere in the same league as my Evans amps tone wise so I sold all.

I recently purchased a used Roland Cube 80X paying about a third the new price of a NV-112 and there is no comparison. The Roland blows the NV-112 out of the water. I've played two gigs with the Roland now and have recieved many compliments on the Roland. It has built in delay and digital reverb as well as amp modeling and other effects so it can be used for other than steel.

It has a clean, crisp, and clear tone. Weighs in at about 30 lbs. and is compact. It's a keeper and costs $250 less than a new NV-112. Just my opinion!
Dave
Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2011 8:26 pm    

From all I've seen, that Roland seems dang good. I believe the PV 112 just about the third best they've done, eclipsed only by the LTD/400 (same electronics, so I regard it as the same amp) in first and the Hernia 500 in second. But no Peavey sounds as sweet, as the FET500.
between a 112 and a Cube 80, I'd choose the cube
Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2011 11:39 am    

I have both, just got my Cube 80 about a month ago and have had the 112 for years. Here is my 2 cents on the amps. I like the Nashville 112 much better just playing at home at a low volume. The Cube 80 sounds too mid-rangy at low level playing and I've tried every setting on there. The 80 does record better than the 112 with the line out into a board.

Now playing out where you can really make the amps honk, the 80 blows the Nashville 112 away. The mids and highs sound awesome and the reverbs in the 80 are top notch. Have also played fiddle and Tele thru the 80 and sounds great on them also. Both are great amps but neither even come close to my old LTD with the Sica-lite speaker. JMHO

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.