| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  MXR Envelope Filter Repair or Troubleshooting?
Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2011 1:46 pm    

I didn't use mine for several years, and now it doesn't work. I was going to just buy another one online, but they're going for more than new on eBay these days.

I looked at the Wilson Envelope Phollower, and while the price is good, the position of the jacks would make it awkward to use with a double male jack on the end of my guitar.

I have opened it up, put in a new battery, sprayed some tuner cleaner, and checked for continuity on a few connections, but I don't really know how or what else to check.

I am not totally electronically illiterate, so I would appreciate any suggestions on what I can check and how to do it. I have a digital multimeter and a soldering station, but not much else for test/repair gear.

Do we have any Forumites that knows how to fix these, or can someone recommend a good repair facility?
Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2011 3:43 pm    

Do you get any signal? Is it just that the signal is dry after engaging the switch? I would say if that's the case, the switch may be bad. You may want to try bypassing the switch to check.

Is this a vintage unit or a reproduction? The vintage units were pretty indestructible. Personally, I'm using a Moogerfooger these days and love it, but I do miss my old 70s pedal, which I believe I sold to Bill Elm.

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2011 4:54 pm    

Well, I'm embarrassed to say, it was apparently working all along. Embarassed

I couldn't remember if I got any signal through and couldn't lay my hands on my double male 1/4" plug, so I tried it with a small patch cord and it works fine. Shocked

Apparently the double male plug is what had gone bad. Laughing Witches Brew, here I come! Razz

Thanks Mike, and this can be closed up. Smile