Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2011 2:34 am    

Alien Evil Twisted Whoa! Embarassed Devil Shocked

Last edited by Nick Reed on 14 Dec 2011 1:02 pm; edited 6 times in total
Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2011 5:52 am    

I have never been to the tavern before but I have had a gig from hell. The great news is that it is over and there will be many more opportunities for you. Keep on picking Nick.
Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2011 7:03 am    

Yeah, it happens, Nick. My gig didn't go so well, either.
Bad news and good news
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2011 8:18 am    

We have all had those types of gigs. Just let it pass as a bump along the way. As long as they paid you just "take the money and run".
Hal Higgins

Denham Springs, LA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2011 8:26 am    

Been there and had that, too....but last night was pretty good...and I got paid on top of that.....lol. It probably's not the first nor will it be the last...as has been stated already, Nick...it's behind you.
HAL...Excel D-10 w/ 8 & 5. SteelSeat.com w/back,SteelSeat.com Pedal Board on Legs with Quilter Tone Block 200 amp, Boss GE 7, Boss DD 3, Boss RV 6, Boss RT-20 Hilton Expression Pedal, Evans Cabinet with 4 ohm Eminence 15" speaker. BJS birthstone bar, Powder coated Tone bar by Michael Hillman. Dunlop Coated finger picks and Zookies L30 thumb picks.
Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2011 8:48 am    

This is turning out to be an interesting thread. . .

Last edited by Nick Reed on 5 Dec 2011 3:53 pm; edited 5 times in total
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2011 9:03 am    

Sugar Grove..., it sounds so nice, but oh, it's a bar in Tennessee! How could things go SO wrong?
Why didn't the band send the wives home and let the mgr. jerk know he just lost $$ and future biz? And maybe have let the fuzz in on the bathroom jollies.
Ransom Beers

Post  Posted 4 Dec 2011 11:47 am    

Nick Reed wrote:
Sorry, but I was too MAD to talk about it last night. For starters, they made us pay cover charges to let our Wifes or in my case Girlfriends stay for our gig . . . . .NO EXCEPTIONS! The stage was too small for me to set up, so I had to be on the floor next to the stage with rude and arrogant dancers getting way too close to my Steel. Then the owner/manager turned out to be a real Smart-A$$. It was apparent there were drugs being done in the bathrooms. Male & Female's were going in the BR's together. Needed to say, our Women-Folk weren't too happy with us booking there and neither was I. We did get our money, but I ain't never going there again. Like I said in the title of this post. . . .The Gig From Hell .

No chicken wire around the bandstand???? Couldn't have been that bad,hee,hee,jus' kiddin'.I've had a couple of gigs similar.
Alan Tanner

Near Dayton, Ohio
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2011 12:16 pm    

We worked a restaurant in Lewisburg Ohio for almost two years. Packed it in every time. Then out of nowhere, the owner decided he was gonna do a cover charge. The next week, not much crowd. Second week, NO crowd and he said wives and partners had to pay the cover too. That was our last night there. Now if you go by on our previous play night, there are usually about three cars in the lot. They had a female manager (wont go into HER status) that treated the waitresses like crap, so we had different girls every week. What a shame......
GaryL

Medina, OH USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2011 12:20 pm     Gig from hell

Been there (more times than I want to relate) and done that. Take the money, act like a professional and never return. Picure this: an off-duty state trooper (not in uniform,) female-type, is in a booth with her boyfriend, both drunk on their @$$es. She lets her boyfriend play with her service auto and he shoots a hole in the ceiling. Nice.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2011 12:43 pm    

what does a gig from hell pay these days? my calendar has some open dates.
Ransom Beers

Post  Posted 4 Dec 2011 12:51 pm    

chris ivey wrote:
what does a gig from hell pay these days? my calendar has some open dates.

I think "YOU" pay them,if it's a true "Gig from hell".Otherwise about scale.fish scale.
mike nolan

Forest Hills, NY USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2011 1:42 pm    

Quote:
No chicken wire around the bandstand????

Looking back, some of my all time favorite gigs were behind the backstop....
Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2011 2:32 pm    

I did a gig with Faron in New Orleans at some auditorium downtown and we had to pay to park the bus in their lot. I mean, just to get the bus up to the stage entrance to unload the equipment cost us.
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 4 Dec 2011 2:39 pm    

There is one thing worse than one of those gigs from hell and that was when I was on those sht tours and you had to suffer through 5 more nights.
Bill Moran

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2011 2:41 pm    

Sounds like Papa Joe's in Roanoke, Va. Joe's is long gone now. If you didn't have a knife or gun when checked at the door they gave you one ! Very Happy

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2011 7:19 pm     Gig from hell

Sorry about the GFH! I've played a few of those before! At least they paid!!
Ronnie Boettcher

Brunswick Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2011 8:04 pm    

Hi Gary, i'm nosey. Where was that bar at? Only one I can think of, is the one near Lodi, on Rt.42.

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2011 8:25 pm    

I remember the Little Brown Jug in Owensborro KY. There was a law people couldn't dance. They had Go-Go dancers but the crowd couldn't dance. The people were nice but it was wierd playing to a crowd who didn't dance.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Robert Hooker

Zebulon NC
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2011 11:11 am    

Sorry,we've all been there...this too shall pass and I know for sure you'll have a good laugh about this one day...trust me Hell is not having a gig!I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2011 5:08 pm    

Bill they also had "The Little Brown Jug" in Bowling Green.
Bill Dobkins

Rolla Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2011 9:28 pm    

Robert Hooker wrote:
Sorry,we've all been there...this too shall pass and I know for sure you'll have a good laugh about this one day...trust me Hell is not having a gig!I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy

In total agreement. I sometimes feel like selling out but there's always that chance.
BJS Bars
Z~Legend Pro,Custom Tele
Honor our Vet's.
Now pass the gravy.
Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2011 5:29 am    

Nick, the first mistake you guys made was inviting the wives! Kidding, sort of... Smile

But seriously, it all depends on your perspective. The gig you described is like many I do here in Canada. (There isn't usually a problem with a guest list, though. That's a bit rude of the club owner.) But the dance music in between sets and the tattooed women dirty dancing is pretty standard. And yes, this stuff will irk the wives. But I try to treat my club gigs as a place of work. Therefore, my wife generally doesn't come out very much. She doesn't want to be around this stuff. I'm only out to make a buck and have some fun playing (and this sometimes involves rude club owners/clientele). In my experience, trying to make a social "spouse night" out of a gig never works too well. I don't go to her work and sit on her desk all day either. I'm sure she would cringe if I were to do that. She has her life and I have mine. Therefore, if the club turns out to be sketchy, all I have to deal with is myself and not the added stress of my wife being upset. This usually makes me go from amber to red in such a situation. It is much easier to handle this type of gig on your own.

As we age, our threshold for the clubs lowers anyway. This probably wouldn't have fazed you at 25-30, or even 35. But as you settle down it doesn't fit with your comfort level of life and you slowly back away. The booze and singles dynamic of bars are never good for relationship stability. You have to either keep the whole thing in perspective (and separate from your personal life) or give up playing places that serve alcohol.
Bill Hatcher

Atlanta Ga. USA
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2011 5:58 am     Re: Saturday Night was THE GIG FROM HELL

Nick Reed wrote:
This past saturday night The Broken Road Band played at The Sugar Grove Tavern in Westmoreland TN. Take my word for it, that place absolutely SUCKS! For starters, they made us pay a cover charge for our Wifes/Girlfriends or they couldn't stay for our gig . . . . .NO EXCEPTIONS!
Nick

rule number 1. don't ever take the wives and girlfriends to a job. do you know any one who takes their wives and girl friends with them on their day job? the employer would not go for it, so why would you expect the employer at the club you worked at to go for it? they are just taking up what would be a paying table.
Ransom Beers

Post  Posted 6 Dec 2011 6:06 am    

"As we age, our threshold for the clubs lowers anyway. This probably wouldn't have fazed you at 25-30, or even 35. But as you settle down it doesn't fit with your comfort level of life and you slowly back away. The booze and singles dynamic of bars are never good for relationship stability. You have to either keep the whole thing in perspective (and separate from your personal life) or give up playing places that serve alcohol."

I have given the club scene a wide berth,had my fill of it many yrs. ago.Now at 70 I'm content to sit at home & play along with the guys that upload their you tube videos.At some point I plan to purchase a BIAB or
another program called "One Man Band" similar to the old "Autoorchestra or the "Ketron" sound module & with a midi controller & my computer.Then I'll have no use for you tube or the bars.(jus' kiddin' bout' the you tube,gotta love the guys that do that)Especially my guitar hero Mr. David Hartley!