| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  String Buzz!
Steve Wood

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2011 10:37 pm    

Colleagues:

Seems as though I have an unholy buzz coming from my 4th and 5th strings, starting at the 12th fret and lessening as I move higher.

It seems to be independent of the actual notes (eg. I'm making sure I'm muting any harmonic noise at the 12th fret)

I have oiled the roller nut (lightly); rotated the roller nut; changed strings twice; sandpapered the changer where the string comes across; inspected for any foreign bodies in the changer itself; lowered the pickups;

And still there is this buzz. It's driving me nuts.

Thoughts?
Steve Wood

Post  Posted 29 Nov 2011 10:38 pm    

FWIW: Sho Bud ProII Custom D10
Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2011 10:57 pm    

Do they have a buzz/zinging sound when played open?? Or just on the 12th fret??
Those rollers on the Shobud really suck..ha...in that; they rattle/wiggle on the axle. You said you oiled...?? but if they are the culprit....you really want to drop a bead of 3 and 1 oil(or some light clear oil) on each side of the roller(s) and that will dampen the rattle.
ricky
Steve Wood

Post  Posted 30 Nov 2011 10:49 am    

Hey Ricky,
Ya, I did that on either side, light oil, no change. Can I get 'better' rollers somewhere?
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2011 3:40 pm    

Steve, Check your email
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2011 8:59 pm    

Steve, you might already have help on the way but I would suggest you remove the 3rd and 6th strings and move string 4 to changer finger 3 and string 5 to finger 6 and tune them up to pitch and see if they still buzz. Tf they don't that might indicate that the 4 and 5 changer fingers radius's have a flat spot where the strings leave them. You would need to very carefully try to restore curvature in the finger radius.
Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2011 10:38 pm    

Just to easily rule out roller buzz just pick the string and with your fingernail push the roller to either side. Generally if it doesn't go away look to the changer for the problem.
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2011 10:49 pm    

I was told by a popular steel guitar builder that a worn changer axle can cause a buzz but I don't know if I agree with that or not. I suppose it is possible. If that were the case the axle would need rotated 180 degrees. I feel that your problem is in the changer where the string leaves the finger. I work those very carefully with a fine fingernail board or a very small flat piece of wood with fine sandpaper wrapped around it. I try to barely remove a trace of aluminum right where the string leaves the round end of the finger. That is a good idea Jim gave you for checking the roller nuts (?) for buzz.
Jerry
Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2011 5:03 am    

Every guitar I've ever owned has had some string buzz. This includes Emmons, Sho-Bud, Williams and the new MSA. I've been able to minimize it on some by taking the slight groove out of the changer fingers before it gets too deep.

Put on some headphones and listen to a lot of commercial recordings and you will clearly hear some stirng buzzing on the upper strings. I've heard it at steel shows too so it's pretty common. In fact some people I've pointed it out too didn't notice it on their guitar until I told them that they had it.

It's truly annoying! Why can't someone design a changer with replaceable top caps? No more sanding, just pop new caps on it. You could even have a choice of cap material for slight tonal variations.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Steve Wood

Post  Posted 1 Dec 2011 8:43 pm    

Thanks for the insight, fellas. I have a lot of good leads to follow here, as usual!
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2011 8:52 am    

Put a towel or something on the strings and rollers, at the keyhead , and covering the first 5 frets or so. Play at the 12th fret. Still ringing? Changer problem. No ringing? Roller problem, most likely. To polish changer finger tops, I cut a strip of emory cloth slightly narrower that the finger, and a couple inches long.
I cover the changer housing in front and in back of the fingers with blue painter's tape to protect it. Grasp the ends of the emory cloth and, holding them as low as possible, use a back and forth motion to polish the finger. This method follows the contour/radius of the top of the finger, and assures no flat spots will develop. It will also remove any flat spots or grooves. Follow up with Crocus cloth, using the same procedure, then polish.