| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons push pull vs MCI
Jerry Tillman

Florida
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2011 11:49 am    

I am a die hard PP fan,I won,t bore you with the details.I few years back I had a chance to buy an MCI D-10 loaded.I only bought it because I got such a great deal at a guitar show.I have been playing it off and on for a while now and I really get a great sound from it and it sounds like my PP steels.It has Lawrence 705,s which look to be original.Stays in tune well and I,m starting to play it more and more.It may have cabinet drop but I don,t pay any attention to that.I feel like I,m cheating on my Push Pulls.Any info on the MCI would be helpful and who might be playing one of these really nice steels.When ever I see a video of Mr Emmons it sounds great but he sounds good on anything. Jerry
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2011 1:06 pm    

Jerry
I am in the same position as you. I have a number of pedal steels including a push pull and an MCI that I bought fairly recently for not a lot of money. None of my guitars have bad tone, but I have to say that the MCI is top notch tone wise. Mechanically it is OK, I haven't noticed excessive cabinet drop. My push pull is still my overall favourite out of my herd, but the MCI is not a million miles behind it.

Bobbe Seymour and I recently exchanged views on the MCI guitars via email, and he openly champions this guitar calling them 'steel guitar's best kept secret' and cites them as having 'astounding tone'.

My MCI also has 705's fitted, and it is a great marriage. I think it is a terrific lightweight and compact instrument.

Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2011 5:59 pm    

I'll chime in here, too. I've got 4 steels...all S12 Universals. Which one do I enjoy most? The MCI.

I love the feel and tone. The Emmons is the best tone-wise, and I'd use that if I were doing sessions...because I know it would track great. But the MCI has a special character that really gets to me. It's a ton of fun to play on.

I think the only thing better, for me, would be an EMCI U12...or one of the MCIs with the welded frame. I can only dream of owning one of them, though. Oh Well
Rod Robichaud

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2011 9:01 am    

Hi Jerry,
I do not own a push pull. I do own an Emmons Lashley Legrande and an MCI Range Expander SD-10 with the all welded frame. I bought the MCI new in 1986 and the only change in the guitar was installing a GL E-66 pup. The tone and playability of this guitar is amazing and always stays intune.
My biggest dilema is choosing which guitar to take to my next gig. So one night I will play the Black one and the next night I will play the Burgandy Emmons. Ha Ha! All joking aside, I started playing a Dekley, then a Sho-bud, but when I found this MCI I knew I found a great one. I bought the Emmons 5 years ago and I love this guitar as well.
But the MCI will always be a Keeper. (Although, I have never tried a Push-pull! Hmmm?)
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2011 1:11 pm    

I played a MCI D10 for 20 years, (bought it in 86) this always was an awesome guitar and I regret selling it ... I think I need to get it back since the guy who bought it has never learned to play it !! Whoa! I changed out the original Barcus Berry pickups to GL E66 - C6th and GL10-1 on E9th ....only cos I couldn't get any original BL705's. Note the Carter vertical which I added at a later stage. never experienced any cabinet drop in this guitar of any consequence (welded frame)
Incidentally I have never owned a push-pull so I can't compare them.

Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Last edited by Paddy Long on 16 Nov 2011 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2011 1:26 pm    

Good pic Paddy.

The MCI is just so easy to work on. It isn't the best engineered guitar in my collection - the Zum and Mullen are both miles ahead in that area - but it just has this incredible tone. I would be happy to play it in any circumstances.

Jerry is right, the tone is as great as a push pull, but slightly different. John Birkhead, Bud Carter and Gene Fields all had a hand in the design.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2011 2:29 pm    

Thanks Ken yes it isn't as good as my Zums in the build but it's still pretty good - I had some issues with the top of the fingers getting a bit chewed up from string wear but it was always an awesome sounding guitar - did a lot of sessions with that I am really proud of. I need to get it back hehe !!
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.
Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Nov 2011 2:58 pm    

I love my welded frame EMCI, but it is still a close second to a p/p in tone. I also like the greater string tension of a p/p. I wonder what difference could be made by moving the keyhead back 1/4" and fitting a small piece of aluminum to fill the space between the stock neck and keyhead. Obviously I would need a new fretboard as well. Perhaps an Emmons one would add to the illusion...
Jerry Tillman

Florida
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2011 4:46 am     Thanks for the comments.

I can see by the comments that some of you guys are as crazy as I am about your tone.I guess the Mci steels will take their place in steel guitar history.Some helpful info here.I feel like we need a comment from the great Bobbe Seymour.I would like to add something for young and old,do not sell any thing that sounds good.That includes steels ,guitars,amps,effects,volume pedals or wife.Not sure on the last item.Thanks for all the comments. Jerry
billy tam R.I.P.

baton rouge, louisiana
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2011 5:51 am    

I am fortunate enough to have both. I have had the push/pull for a couple of years(my 5th) and just recently acquired the '89 EMCI. I wanted to semi-retire the Emmons to protect the laquer finish and the EMCI I beleive will be near perfect. I would probably give the Emmons a slight tone edge but the EMCI sounds great also with virtually no cabinet drop and stays in tune.

Thanks,
Billy
Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2011 6:51 am    

I have owned six pushpulls and currently have three. I have also owned four MCI guitars.I love them all.
The cabinet drop problem can be addressed by installing a couple of bell cranks and pull rods. I did this on my last MCI and it performed great. Also Jim Palenscar makes replacement bell cranks that are superior in every way. My MCI guitars all had 705 pick ups except, one had Barcus Barry. I much prefer the 705.
I personally never felt the welded frame was a big deal.Buddy told me he used a MCI guitar on most of the Step One Production recordings.I think these were some of his best. Ray Pennington, Ray Price, Faron Young, and Clinton Gregory are a few of the artist on that label. If you listen to the intro and turn around on Christmas in Virginia by Clinton you will hear what I am talking about. The fill in this song is simple and awesome.

Last edited by Willis Vanderberg on 19 Nov 2011 5:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jerry Tillman

Florida
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2011 12:35 pm     I will keep your Emmons safe Billy

Billy,I totally agree with your plan to retire your Emmons and I would be glad to watch it for you.No charge.Thanks Jerry.
billy tam R.I.P.

baton rouge, louisiana
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2011 6:55 pm    

Hi Jerry, You would probably not be surprised at the number of locals who have made the same "generous" offer. I believe I'll leave in a nice closet for awhile and am looking forward to playing the EMCI for awhile starting tommorow night.
Billy
Jerry Tillman

Florida
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2011 4:38 am    

Billy,you are smarter than I thought you were.That is a great looking Emmons.It appears to be almost a burnt orange in the picture.Is that correct or there a color change due to the internet? Willis I listened to the Clinton song about xmas and it was reallygood.How many post are on this forum about the wonderful playing of Mr.Buddy Emmons.This is another.Go to utube and listen to that song and get a free steel guitar and music lesson.The tone of the steel is great.I wonder what amp or what recording technique they used.Thanks Jerry
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2011 5:20 am    

Jerry Tillman wrote:
Billy,you are smarter than I thought you were.That is a great looking Emmons.It appears to be almost a burnt orange in the picture.Is that correct or there a color change due to the internet? Willis I listened to the Clinton song about xmas and it was reallygood.How many post are on this forum about the wonderful playing of Mr.Buddy Emmons.This is another.Go to utube and listen to that song and get a free steel guitar and music lesson.The tone of the steel is great.I wonder what amp or what recording technique they used.Thanks Jerry

Buddy is purported to have used an MCI on his Christmas album. That album always sounds as though it has recorded DI'd to my ears, but I may be wrong.
billy tam R.I.P.

baton rouge, louisiana
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2011 5:39 am    

Jerry, The Emmons is a little darker in person than appears in the photo. It is a beautiful, wonderful sounding guitar.
Thanks,
Billy
Paul E. Brennan

Dublin, Ireland
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2011 5:48 am    

I love my EMCI. It's an 1988 Arlington built model. Here it is in action at the recent Irish Steel Show:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRVy6BSjBtQ
David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2011 6:31 am    

Great MCI tone! Player ain't too bad either Mr. Green
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiXRXE71Rwc
Kenneth Kotsay

Davie/Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2011 1:44 pm    

Since 1976 I have owed the following pedal steels, Sho-Bud D-10 & MSA S12U(sold the both of them years ago).

Currently I own a Emmons D-10 PP, Zum D-10, Franklin D-10 but my #1 steel is a, EMCI D-10 which will be going to the grave with me unless if you are a lucky Lotto winner of $75 million, then you can have it for $100,000.00 US. You see, if you buy it for this price it would like buying it for $75.00 since you won over $75 mil plus bucks(US).

My next pedal steel will be either a, MSA D-10 Legend or a Show-Pro, that's when the US stock market hits 14000 (today it's around 11733.

JERRY - Ask J.D. from West Palm Beach about the EMCI.

Ken
billy tam R.I.P.

baton rouge, louisiana
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2011 11:10 am    

Played my first gig on my new '89 EMCI pictured above last night, outdoor venue and WOW! was I a happy camper. This guitar is a real winner. Great sustain, string separation, stayed in tune even in cooler temeratures. Very happy with my push/pull replacement gig axe.
thanks,
Billy
Jerry Tillman

Florida
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2011 2:22 pm     This just in. I've decided to play my black MCI for a while

I did a gig on my MCI and it went well.I got two groupies right off the bat.
Richard Argus

Perth, Western Australia,
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2011 7:57 pm    

Jerry,
that guitar sure has got nice pick-up(s)!
Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2011 9:04 am    

Yes the MCI is still one of my very favorite guitars, what's not to love?
I have has a few I'm very sorry I sold, but this goes for many things in my life!
Yes, it was an MCI that Buddy used on the Christmas recording. Glad he did, it was wonderful in my opinion.

Bobbe Seymour
Jerry Tillman

Florida
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2011 9:11 am     Thanks Bobbe for your comments.

Thanks so much for your input Bobbe.Always like to get your take on things.What about my two groupies? thanks lakeshrk
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2011 9:48 am    

My MCI has the initials BE underneath the guitar. I didn't know Billy Eckstine played steel guitar. Laughing

I can't see that my guitar was Buddy's at some point. Anyone else with the same initials?