| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  About PROMAT pedal steel guitars
Mirko Tomic

Serbia
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2011 3:12 pm    

First of all,hello everybody.
Before 22 years when I fell in love with steel guitar,I meet Mr.Dusan Papic from Novi Sad/Serbia/ and first time in my life see and hear /in live situation/ pedal steel guitar.I can*t tell you what kind of feeling was that.I was a "Dobro" player,and next step for me was to buy and learn to play that beautiful instrument.It was Promat D-10.Since that time I play that guitar in various situations/studio,live shows,on the road etc.../and that instrument NEVER let me down.That means /detuning,string breaks/and many other problems that you can expect in that situations.One year ago,I was lucky enough to test Profesional-Economy Promat pedal steel guitar/ in fact that guitar was one month in my home studio / and I have enough time to play that instrument.Only I can tell,is that instrument got beautiful sound,very soft comands and plays like a butter.In other words,excellent instrument for every kind of player,anywhere in the world
Martin Abend

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2011 4:30 am    

Hi Mirko,

You're talking about this guitar, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYuTeJz17-o

It sure sounds great! I'd love to play one soon.
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2011 7:27 am    

Looks and sounds like a very nice guitar. The only problem I see is the price-tag.

1780 Euros = $2440.00 USD which is kinda steep for an economy model PSG (especially if that doesn't include the shipping charges from Europe).

The price point competes w/ many fine professional used guitars (e.g. an Emmons S-10 p/p) and some of the newer US built econo/flight axes.

http://www.steelguitarshopper.com/instruments/
Mirko Tomic

Serbia
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2011 9:35 am     Hi Martin,

Yes,that is the guitar that I am talkin about.As I said,it was in my home studio enoguh days to check it out and try it.
I can say that few years ago I had chance to try Carter steel guitar/not Carter starter/,and also Sho Bud,and that not put some impresion on me.They are
big names,for shure,but I think the Promat economy is much better,in my humble opinion.
Zoran Kosir

Slovenia
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2011 2:38 pm     PROMAT Economy model

Hi Martin,

I own Promat Economy model too and I can say it's really good sounding guitar with nice sustain and what is the most important, tone is really beautiful. Sound of this guitar is amazing - True tone pickup!
So, if you want a really good guitar with a good price include all this things, Promat Economy model is right guitar for you. And not at last, this quality guitar production is in Serbia (made in Europe).
Very Happy
I hope it helps ... Wink

Check it out this link:
http://www.promat-steel-guitars.com/ServicesAndPrice

Regards
Zoran
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2011 3:31 pm    

As above, it seems way over priced for the American market.
Dave Diehl

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2011 4:39 pm    

May seem somewhat high but I have one of the D10 Pro models and it's a great playing and sounding guitar and I can't say enough good things about Mr. Papic. He don't ever forget his customers.
Robert Harper

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2011 8:19 pm     I agree

The price for me is a real issue. I looked at there web page earlier and was turned off. Well that was before the EURO has begun the current slide

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2011 10:46 am    

I would hope the Pro model would play great. It seems to be a direct copy of the Emmons Push Pull. Take the logos off, and you can't tell the difference. That alone would keep me from buying one.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Zoran Kosir

Slovenia
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2011 10:03 am    

Promat guitars are very well made - a lot of hand made. I have Promat PRO and Economy guitars. The sound of Promat is really fantastic, you can choice aluminium or wooden neck, True tone pickup fit superb, it stays in tune ... Great job! I have to say I'm satisfied and it's a good investment guitar.
Mirko Tomic

Serbia
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2011 3:34 pm    

All I can say,that strings last really long.I mean that need so much time to break string.Especially 3 rd string.And if you talking to stay in tune,that*s really something.In live situations,maybe one time I have to fix tuning during the gig.
I think that investment in this instrument is really choice,if you want instrument for long time and instrument which never let you down.
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2011 8:53 pm    

The Promat and the Emmons are superficially identical, however the Promat is metric, and the Emmons is SAE. For some folks, that could be a deal-breaker. You'd need different Allen wrenches. Razz

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 17 Nov 2011 9:53 pm    

SAE will always sound better than metric Devil
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2011 2:19 am    

Without a doubt, Promat must build quality steels
unfortunately, i must agree that it is overpriced when it comes to the American market
one must add shipping costs & import duties to the initial price
of course this does'nt mean that a US steeler would not buy one
When you get down to it, there are so many great psgs made in the USA, readily available new or used
as to us Europeans we have to pay shipping from the good Ol' & then get hit w: 25 to 35% import fees

as to Metric versus SAE, just how do you think we are when we get a US built steel ?
i brought this up before on the forum : i bought a spankin' new SD10 from a well known builder for a steeler here & not 1 allen or tuning wrench was included w: it
spending 3000 & more $ & not have 15 $ worth of tools to adjust things seems odd would'nt you think ?
now Bruce Z, includes all the wrenches & tools needed w: his steels
so PLEASE, when you sell a psg to foreign buyers, Do include them wrenches !
Thanx.. Winking

Last edited by CrowBear Schmitt on 18 Nov 2011 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2011 3:02 am    

Mad Mad Mad Mad

DELETED because it wasn't very nice. Let's just say I have strong feelings against Promat.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.

Last edited by Richard Sinkler on 18 Nov 2011 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Todd Brown

W. Columbia , South Carolina
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2011 8:47 am    

Come on now Richard, that's not nice! Winking
Billy McCombs

Bakersfield California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2011 10:20 am    

Would Emmons build a new PP today and if so what would it cost compared to a Promat?
78 Emmons PP,Great tone.82 Emmons SKH #56
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2011 11:15 am    

the ONLY differences between Promat Pro and Economy models are some fancy add ons and high gloss polished aluminum, everything else is the same, mechanicaly and material used. Economy Promat guitar has a tone like any other Pro model Promat.

Quote:
sems to be a direct copy of the Emmons Push Pull. Take the logos off, and you can't tell the difference

Richard, I'm sure Mr.Papic will take that as a compliment...

as far as the price goes, yes, it is not a cheap guitar and it was never intended to be cheap, I have 3 D-10 Promat guitars and I'm very happy with all 3 of them.I paid a lots of cash for those guitars but I think I got what I paid for. Promat, as any other guitar, is not for everyone, if a player has na issue with a Promat brand he/she, can always go for another brand, there is many different brands on the market today, the only problem is that none of them makes Push Pull... you can try to talk to Mullen,Zum or maybe Anapeg and ask if they decide to make a push pull, how much would it cost.You think push pull Mullen would be priced less than $2500 new..? good luck with that...

Db

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2011 11:33 am    

It looks like Emmons does now offer the "reissue" push-pull, for $3900. Look at the back half of their catalog on the web site:
http://www.emmonsguitar.net/Emmons-Catalog-2011.pdf
Zoran Kosir

Slovenia
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2011 11:41 am    

Hi there.
My Promat spare parts include:
- tuning wrenches 2 pcs
- shock amortising springs 2 pcs
- screw rod collar 2 pcs
- raise rod hock 2 pcs
- crossover return springs 2 pcs
- compensations springs 2 pcs
- screw for changer M4 2 pcs

It's good to have spare parts - just in keys and for free (didn't ask for it - TNX to Promat).
Any info about other manufacturers?

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2011 12:26 pm    

This is a new push/pull I got from Emmoms a couple of years ago.

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2011 12:59 pm    

Erv, that is a beautiful guitar... I checked the Emmons catalog but I don't see D-10...? are they offering all other models but D-10? thats weird...

Db

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2011 1:52 pm    

Damir,
A while back on Emmons website, they showed an SD-10 p/p for sale. I contacted Ron about a D-10 and he said, yes, they had some 30 year old cabinets that Ron Sr. had made so he made me up a couple of new p/p's, the one shown and a sunburst. They have never been played! Whoa!
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2011 2:57 pm    

yeap, you can't beat 30 year old aged maple, I bet they sound amazing...good for you, I never had a bad sounding Emmons guitar, push pull or not...

Db

Slovenia
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2011 2:07 am     String Breaks

Hi

I agree with mr. Tomic. I also didn`t have problems like string breaks and detuning.

Right now, I have 3 Promat guitars at my home.
A D10 with aluminium neck and with age more than 25 years. Then a D10 with wooden neck just about the same age as first one as well as my new S10. All of them are just fantastic,...
For now, no string breaks.
Even If I have a bit rusty strings with to much playing hours,...