| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New pedal steel video on YouTube
Joe Yednasty

CA
Post  Posted 5 Nov 2011 2:04 pm    

Hello forumites, I decided to dust off the ol' pedal steel today and record a video of some random improv melodies. As always, I value every member's feedback so please do not hold back. Thanks!

Here's the link:

http://youtu.be/mvD6OR9hqUQ
Mike Wheeler

Delaware, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2011 10:39 am    

Nice job, Joe. Intonation sounds very good. You have a good ear and find the tone centers accurately.

May I suggest...shorten your vibrato a bit. Meaning, don't move the bar quite so far during vibrato...or maybe try just rolling it a bit. And slow it down a bit. If it's too fast it sounds more nervous than musical. But this will come with practice as your skills grow.

Your note attack sounds very good...it gives one the feeling that you intended to strike the notes and weren't timid about it. That's how you develop good tone...making the guitar give you it's best sound. Also, you might want to try picking nearer and farther from the pickup as you play. This allows for tonal variations which can help inject some emotion into the passages.

Listen to all kinds of musical styles, whether they are your favorites or not. That will broaden you musical horizon and give you ideas you may have never thought of otherwise.

Overall, I'd say you definitely have a knack for pedal steel. Keep up the good work and you'll be blowing our minds in no time! Whoa! Smile
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2011 11:21 am    

that emmons of yours really has the nasty snarl you want. the more you can control it the better it will sound.
Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2011 11:44 am    

dern chris, Ivey League exposure has yet to infiltrate my yet to develop aptitude. Having said that, I feel a nasty growl as opposed to a nasty snarl could be the operative direction? Nasty is as Nasty does; I'd be curious to learn the evolution of said Nasty.
chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2011 10:42 am    

ah yes...a snarly growl is a snarky nastification in some hands!
Patrick Janka

Post  Posted 10 Nov 2011 10:58 am    

That was great!
Joe Yednasty

CA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2011 10:51 am    

Mike Wheeler - Thanks for the constructive criticsm. This was honestly the first time I played in over a year so it would be an understatement to say that I was unprepared, especially when also serving as the cameraman and the steel player within the same two-minute video. My main purpose was to display a rough idea of who I am as a pedal steel guitar player, not necessarily to display my peak playing ability. (Basically, I wasn't trying that hard in this video and the constructive feedback will motivate me to try harder in the next video). Slowly getting back into the steel guitar mix...

Chris Ivey and Gary Lee Gimble - You can call it a "Nasty Growl" but only for me because of my last name! Nasty is as Nasty does sounds about right, ha.