| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need Help with NV 400 "Reverb?"
Rod Robichaud

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2011 2:50 pm    

Hi , I am a newbie to the Forum and I am not much of a Techy when it comes to amps or any other electronic equipment. My reverb seems to work intermittently . I don't get that Crash noise when
the amp is bumped. I took out the box with the springs and checked them and the wires and all seems fine, no loose wires or broken springs. Is there any other way to check my reverb?
Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Rod
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2011 3:20 pm    

There is a "Molex" connector under the chassis that connects the cables to/from the reverb pan to the chassis. This has been a common problem area and has caused most of the NV400 reverb problems. The contacts can develop poor or no contact. Many times just "reseating" (unpluging and pluging back in) the connector fixes reverb problems. In other cases the connector needs unplugging and both the male and female contacts sprayed with contact cleaner. And finally is some cases the female pins need slight reforming to make them smaller so the make good contact.

This may not be your problem, but with the many problems with this connector, it's a good place to start.
Rod Robichaud

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2011 4:00 pm    

Thanks Jack, I have tried unplugging and re-plugging in the connector and it seemed to work for a while and then stopped again. I will try spraying the connector and see if that works.

Thanks again !
Rod
Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2011 4:20 am    

I'm just going to echo (no pun intended) what Jack said and add a couple observations about it, too.

First, if I remember correctly, Jack used to be an amp repair tech and he knows what he's talking about. And what he says about the white molex connector on the NV400's chassis bottom is spot on. I'd say 90% of the reverb problems with that amp can be traced to that pesky connector and the fact its contacts get dirty and/or loose. I have four of those amps (yeah, I know) and I remember the molex connector for one was so bad it had to be replaced. however, most of the time, like Jack said, a good cleaning will take care of it.

There are a couple of other problems that can also arise. Sometimes the amp will cut in and out. That is often due to either 1) the volume pot needs to be sprayed with contact cleaner and/or 2) any of the jacks are dirty and not making good contact, especially the send and return jacks on the front panel. They, too, need to be sprayed and cleaned.

What to do if the amp cuts in and out on a gig? You can use jumper cables between the send and return panel jacks or those on the rear panel.

Last, don't assume that the above potential problems mean that you should never buy a NV400. The problems mentioned above are really nothing more than nuisances tht show up maybe once a year or less. The amps are great and there's a reason that, although it's often referred to as a "steel guitar amp", there are others who play through them.
Rod Robichaud

New Brunswick, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2011 8:11 am    

Hi Eric, Thanks for the reply and your suggestions.
I agree , these amps are fantastic. I have 2 of them.
I Have cleaned the connectors and jacks, so far it works fine. I will be using it this weekend to give it a solid test.
Thanks ! Rod
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2011 8:37 am    

Quote:
Last, don't assume that the above potential problems mean that you should never buy a NV400. The problems mentioned above are really nothing more than nuisances tht show up maybe once a year or less. The amps are great and there's a reason that, although it's often referred to as a "steel guitar amp", there are others who play through them.

Mine is going on 28 years old and I have never had any of those problems. And mine has been heavily gigged and traveled. Even in the days when smoking was allowed in the clubs. Of course, now that I say this, mine will die at today's gig. Mad
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2011 11:42 am    

Richard, since you have the Fox Mod, that means it's been disassembled to mod and then put back together. One of the things Ken does during the mod is clean and reform as needed the Molex connector pins. Thus yours, is a refurbished amp, not a "28 year old amp".
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2011 1:27 am    

Good point Jack. But I didn't know I was supposed to send in the reverb unit with the chassis, so I missed out on the tweak on the molex.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2011 2:21 am    

Richard, there are several other Molex connectors internally. These cause intermittents, too.