| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  whats it worth?
Chris Erbacher

Sausalito, California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2011 8:55 pm    

how much is the regular going rate for a steel player who can sing lead and backup harmony vocals while playing steel? who is doing this?
Elton Smith

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2011 9:03 pm    

I don't know.If your doing that you tell us.
Fender Telecaster
MSA S10 Classic
ShoBud
Old Peavy Amps
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2011 9:52 pm    

Here in the Bay Area, not much... Seriously.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Ray Walker

Smithfield, NC, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2011 5:31 am    

I do it routinely here on the East Coast and am called upon to actually do the lead singing for a lot of songs with one band. I get the same pay as everyone else in the band.
Bob Blair

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2011 5:49 am    

What people seem to be getting paid for gigging varies so much that I doubt you could find a regular going rate for anything. But being able to sing lead and harmony while playing steel has never, in my experience, attracted a premium rate. Whatever everyone else is getting.
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2011 6:47 am    

I play steel and sing lead and harmony vocals, and over the years have gotten calls from bands to hire me as an add-on member typically for summer weddings and festivals, or fill-in for another player who can't make a gig.
If it's a band that I actually like/want to play with, and a gig that I like (easy travel and load in/out), I do it for an even share of the money.
If it's a call out of the blue I ask what they are paying, and if it's at least $100 bucks I consider it, but I'm hoping it's a wedding that pays like $400/member for a 5-piece.
If I want $100 dollars these days I typically just stop at an ATM, then go h0me and play steel and sing some Merle Haggard songs.
Mama Tried into Sing Me Back Home. Smile
I got a call for a gig last summer, out at the coast (that means "overnight" to me), and they told me it was a $600 one-nighter. I told them I couldn't do it for less than $300.
They paid me $300 and split the other 3 amongst themselves.
I turned it into a family weekend at the coast (I could not have done that for $100 plus $25 for gas).
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 29 Sep 2011 7:17 am    

Did it for years - same pay. Actually, with my singing, it's a wonder they didn't dock me ….
Dan Najvar

McDade, TX
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2011 7:47 am    

Pete I REALLY love your comment about the ATM!! Here in Fort Worth about all a singing steeler can get is the same as a non singing steeler...$100. But there are players that probably get more if they have been associated with a well known singer. More at times if you are a full time member of a band. There have been a few times that it wasn't enough for me to haul out the Session 500 and the Sierra and fill up the tank. Club life can be rough!! lol
Adam Goodale

Pflugerville, TX
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2011 11:09 am    

It all depends where your at and how good you are...

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2011 11:28 am    

five dollars.
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2011 12:07 pm    

Unless you are in some strict union gig where multi-instrumentalists make more that a person who only plays one instrument, you will probably make the same as the rest of the band. I don't know of any of that type of gig around the Bay Area. For the most part, gigs in the Bay Area right now pay between $50 and $100 (4 pc band)each per night. There, of course, are the rare exceptions.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2011 1:58 pm    

I'm getting a 'double' for doing some backing vocals on my current 'Always, Patsy Cline' gig here in Naples. Still, that's only $120 per show (or rehearsal).

This theatre, though, is very particular about paying proper rates anytime they hire musicians; as three of the other players are from the Tampa Symphony (and are familiar with every twist and turn of the AFM rates) they couldn't get away with short-changing anyone.
Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2011 3:39 pm    

My hat's off to all you guys who can sing and play steel at the same time! I never could make that work on steel,although it's a breeze on six-string.Around here (Denver/Front Range/Northern CO)there never has seemed to be much of a buzz about singing steelers,probably because any band who could afford to carry steel had at least a couple of top-drawer singers-that's usually why they could afford steel in the first place.Country bar gigs hereabouts generally pay about a C-note per player,assuming a 4-piece and an equal split.
Rich Peterson

Moorhead, MN
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2011 9:19 am    

It's in teresting that $100/night seems to be typical across the country. And that's what it was 30 years ago. One part of the economy that is not threatened with inflation. Sad