| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rewiring a MIM Players Strat tone pots
Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2011 9:17 pm    

I'm wondering if it's hard to re-wire a MIM Players Strat so that the 2nd tone control will control the bridge pup instead of the one it controls now. Keeping in mind the players strat has the push button switch that can be engaged to use all 3 pup's at a time.

I've been playing Strats most of my life and I have never found any reason to control the tone on the middle pup.

I think my schematics show the 2nd tone control being wired to control the tone of the middle pup. If I read it wrong please correct me Smile

The only other pup that I would ever want control the tone on is the Neck pup which I believe is what the 1st tone control is wired to so I'd want to leave it as is.

I'd appreciate any help on how to switch it over to the way I've explained. thanks

Bob

Post  Posted 29 Sep 2011 9:35 pm    

Alien

Last edited by Jason Hull on 4 May 2012 2:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2011 6:30 am    

I removed the pot closest to the strings and simply have a Master-Volume and Master-Tone on my Strats.
Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2011 6:45 am    

Also you can jump the the conections on the switch to have the tone on both the bridge and mid pups..I've done it a few times.
Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2011 12:39 am    

Thanks guys, I'll weigh my options and see which suggestion will work the best for me. I'm kind of leaning towards just moving the wire from the middle pup to the bridge pup it seems to be the easiest or at least on paper it looks the simplest Smile

Bob

New York, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2011 6:17 am     Strat wiring

If you go to the fender site you can find some interesting wiring "solutions" I just completed wiring a strat to the Eric Johnson diagram , I like it . I was able to find the diagram for a 62 Jazz bass ,& after rounding up the parts ,the pots can be had for $5.50 it,s a winner ,I wonder why they ditched it , some folks like a volume & a tone for each pickup , I'm going to try it on a tele Whoa! . Bill

Concord, California
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2011 11:34 pm    

On another forum I got a tip to move the wire from the middle pickup to the bridge pickup rather than just jumpering them together. That way you get a distinctive sound from the middle pickup by itself, and in the notch positions there is only one tone control in the circuit. All of the time I've played a strat I've hardly ever used the middle pickup by itself...

Steve Ahola

P.S. Having the tone control set to 10 is not the same as running the pickup without a tone control at all.

Recordings on electric guitar:
http://www.box.net/blue-diamonds
http://www.box.net/the-culprits
Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2011 6:31 am    

Thanks William I'll check it out and Steve you are absolutely correct removing the tone pot completely off of the middle pup gives it a much cleaner and smoother sound. I don't believe I've ever played any of my Strats on the mid pup at all other than just messing around. Thanks guys

Bob