| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Raising string 9 a semitone? (E9)
Rob Fenton

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2011 12:58 pm    

I've done a couple of searches, but couldn't find anything.

Wondering if anybody out there raises string 9 a semitone on their E's raise lever, to avoid that low-voiced b9 clam potential in the A+F position?

I also raise string 7 a semitone on another lever. Coupled with this, it would allow nice diatonic runs in all positions. If I need to, I can re-lower string 9 with RKR, and that should probably work out reasonably in tune, no?
Are there reasons I shouldn't add this pull?

Thanks for your advice,
Rob.
Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2011 3:14 pm    

I raise 9 a half tone on the lever that raises 1 & 2, and lower six on a separate lever. I like it because it's there if I want to experiment, and it doesn't interfere with anything I'm already doing.

My main reason for not putting it on the F lever would be playability.
Justin Griffith

Taylor, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2011 6:41 am    

You might get in touch with Jim Loessberg. He raises his 4th string a 1/2 tone on his 4th pedal along with the normal C-6th pulls on that pedal.
He may not do this on all of his guitars, but I know for sure one of his Emmons does this.
Ask him. He is a nice guy and will surely be glad to help.

Justin
Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2011 2:32 pm    

Rob.......don't do it!

The coolest and easiest to get diminished chord (actually a dim7)is achieved by raising your E's to F and playing strings 9,8,6, &5. As with all dim chords, you can play the same combination every step and a half up the neck to get the inversions.

FWIW, I do raise string 9 a half step on a zero pedal on my extended E9. It's a fairly useful change on it's own, AND in conjunction with the E-F KL, but NOT at the expense of that diminished chord!
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2011 10:34 pm    

This inability to make the diminished Chord Rick just described is the one thing I regret about having a U-12 without the D string.

I know one player who does raise the 9th strings, so he can get a scale pattern with the A pedal and E-F Raise.

Too bad we all can't have everything.
Rob Fenton

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2011 5:29 am    

Thanks for your responses everyone.

My interest in doing this was mainly to open up scale options in the lower end of the guitar. I figured I had another way to make diminished seventh chords, so it wouldn't be a bad thing to give up one note out of that F lever dim7. I also figured that I won't really need a harmonic tetrachord as much as a major tetrachord in the low end, but I think I'll just leave it for now.

It's just one of those things that occurred to me after practising scale patterns on the bottom 5 strings for a week. Man, would it ever be easier if I was able to raise string 9! Not having an extra lever to try it out on, I got to thinking it might work on the F lever without too many sacrifices, but in the end it's probably not worth it.

In fact, I'd forgotten about it for the last couple of weeks, so I must be doing okay without it...

Thanks again,
Rob.
Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2011 8:05 am    

Rob Fenton wrote:
Thanks for your responses everyone.

My interest in doing this was mainly to open up scale options in the lower end of the guitar. I figured I had another way to make diminished seventh chords, so it wouldn't be a bad thing to give up one note out of that F lever dim7. I also figured that I won't really need a harmonic tetrachord as much as a major tetrachord in the low end, but I think I'll just leave it for now.

It's just one of those things that occurred to me after practising scale patterns on the bottom 5 strings for a week. Man, would it ever be easier if I was able to raise string 9! Not having an extra lever to try it out on, I got to thinking it might work on the F lever without too many sacrifices, but in the end it's probably not worth it.

In fact, I'd forgotten about it for the last couple of weeks, so I must be doing okay without it...

I used to have that change back in the mid-70's on my E-F lever, at the expense of the diminished chord. I considered it a trade-off, like much in the steel guitar world.

I showed it to Stu Schulman back in the day and I think he might still have it on his guitar.

That change somehow got lost in the late 70's and I never found it again. Nowadays I only lower s.9 and not all that often either.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2011 8:40 am    

Herb, when I posted earlier in this thread that I knew a player who raised the 9th string, I was thinking of you. If you recall, we had a discussion about the 9th string in general a few (maybe more than a few) years ago.
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2011 10:24 am    

Rob Fenton wrote:
I figured I had another way to make diminished seventh chords, so it wouldn't be a bad thing to give up one note out of that F lever dim7.

Maybe you could still play the D natural on string 9 while that lever is raising E to F and D to D#, assuming that you have a lever to lower string 9 a half step. It would probably be almost in tune when raised and lowered at the same time.

You might as well put the D to D# change on that lever. If you don't like it you can make it go away in 3 seconds with the nylon tuning nut.
Lonnie Portwood

Jacksonville, fl. USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2011 1:16 pm    

I have a related question. I have a single 10 tuned to standard E9. Would it be practical to lower my 9th str.to C# with my RKL, which lowers my 4 and 8 to E flat?Would that interfere with anything else? Or should it be on another lever/pedal? I'm experimenting with getting as many "B6" moves as possible with S10.

I had Ed Fulawka change (was 12 str) back to 10 because I could'nt get used to string spacing. I kept 8 pedals so as to keep as much potential for B6 tunings as possible on 10 strings. My "A" pedal is the "franklin", and my LKR raises 1st st from F# to A flat, and 2nd st to E.

Herb, this is for you primarily, but anyone is welcome to chime in. If you were starting from scratch with a 10 Str. E9, and you had access to 8 pedals and five Knee levers, how would you set this guitar up? If this is asking too much to share this much of your expertise, I will understand if you'd rather not. Thanks for listening. Lonnie Portwood

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2011 8:29 pm    

Lonnie, I hadn't really ever thought about an 8/5 E9 S-10 before... it's never been a viable option for me. But I imagine there'd be a Franklin pedal in there, and I'd include a pedal that lowers s.10 a whole tone (B-A) and s.9 a half tone (D-C#).

I'm sure others here are more "outside the box" than I with their own personal approaches to the tuning. I'd invite them to chime in as well. I'd be definitely interested in other opinions.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?
Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2011 6:13 pm    

Rick Schmidt wrote:
As with all dim chords, you can play the same combination every step and a half up the neck to get the inversions.

Hey, it works! Like magic! I'm impressed!

Thanks for the tip about dim chords and inversions. Seems like I learn something new every day about this complex instrument.