| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  '' Need a good cheap 3'' Mini Disc Player ''
Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2011 10:32 am    

Smile I don't know if they make a good cheap 3'' mini disc player or not but if they do i'm interested in buying one ! I think i would prefer a rack mount unit . I need to download several cd's with recorded music to sing or play along with . We have started a new '' Southern Gospel Group '' and we sing to tracks ! The name of the group is '' New Covenant Trio '' . At this time i am using my laptop computer to download songs and playback . I know the 3'' mini disc players are the best or at least thats what i'm told ! If anyone has one for sale or has a better idea then i am all ears ! Laughing Or if anyone knows where they sell the mini disc players i would appreciate the info . Thanks in advance . G.P.
Dave Grafe

Hudson River Valley NY
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2011 1:34 pm    

Sony has gotten out of the moving media business but you should be able to find a used table-top unit on ebay or craigslist for not too much money. the rackmount ones will be going for $300 and up.
Brad Bechtel

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2011 8:09 am    

Minidiscs have become an obsolete technology. I would not buy one today.
Instead take a look at something like the Zoom H2N. With this type of device, you can record just about anywhere you'd like and transfer the resulting MP3 or WAV files directly to your computer with a mini-USB cable.
Rick Johnson

Wheelwright, Ky USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2011 4:34 am    

Gary
I saw some guys using an Apple Ipad with
the touch screen. Tracks sounded great and
its not hard to use.

Rick

www.rickjohnsoncabs.com
Adam Sorber

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2011 5:03 am    

I used to use mini discs for live playback quite a few years ago. (1998-1999). While they were great for the time, They are very limited when it comes to arranging playback material and very slow to load songs on to them. I also had problems with Time Code on the discs which would cause them to fail. I use my laptop now with an mp3 player as a backup. Much easier to use than the mini discs.
Fender Super Twin Reverb
Fender Ultra-linear Twin Reverb
Gary Preston

Columbus, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2011 7:38 am    

Oh Well I have my playback music on my laptop but when we use it outside you can't hardly see the screen or curser . It works great but it's hard to find your tracks to play back . I was hoping for a simple solution ! I don't have any problems inside of a building . ''I know stay inside ''!!!
Gary Oatsvall

El Cajon, CA USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2011 11:03 am     Mini Disk Players

I may have what you’re looking for. I have three Mini Disc Players that have just been sitting in a closed cabinet for some time. I used them for all my band back up tracks but finally got talked into putting files in MP’3 and transferring songs to a laptop. I found I had the same problem you’re experiencing with not being able to see when outside which was often. We finally ended up taking two laptops and positing them in different directions to try and override the problem. I always thought the Mini Disc had the better sound as I left them in the original Wave File. It seems like I could almost switch the disks as quick as I could locate the songs on the laptop. After awhile I just knew where things were on the disks and had them sorted by sets.

Here are some pictures of the three units I have. The largest which is 17 W, 10 D, 4 H with feet on. I used to sit it on a tray in my effects case. The next unit is 8 1/2 W, 10 ¾ D, 3 ¼ H. The Walkman Recorder fits in your shirt pocket and has an internal mic, internal power supply plus external attachment with batteries. Also had the 110 power supply. I purchased an additional Sony Electret Condenser Stereo Mic I paid $100 for as I could separate it from the shirt pocket size unit itself. I not to eager to sell the Walkman as it does the best recording ever even outdoing my Boss 8 channel unit I paid $1000 for. The Walkman cost $349 but is small. It has a remote you wear on you shirt, but not as quick for changing disks as are the other two. All have Digital Optical In & Outs and the two regular size also have RCA (in & out)so just about everything is covered. The Walkman has 1/8th out in addition to optical. The half size larger one has a Mic input on the front plus the RCA’s on the back. The largest unit, 17x10x4 has only RCA in and out on the back so you need to use a mixing board to record.

I’d sell the two regular units for $75 each. I’d ask you to pay the mailing. I also have 5 new unopened Mini Discs, and 13 used. I have the Operating Instruction books for all and may have the original boxes stashed in a closet someplace. All units work and are in excellent condition. All are Sony. I can send pictures.