| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  January Pheonix Show Planning under way in a big way
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2011 9:19 am    

Since announcing a new hotel (the Sheraton Crescent in Phoenix)many things are coming together.

The new Non-pedal section headed up by Chuck Lettes things are coming together. If you are interested in participating in the non-pedal session contact Chuck @ clettes@comcast.net (or (303)-797-1134)

Gretsch has been kind enough to donate 2 lap steels and 2 amps for raffle at the show as well.

The sound and video details are being nailed down starting with a visit last week from our sound man John Hensch.

Since we have a larger hotel and a lot more rooms for vendors plus more room for tables in the show room we are excited to have more vendors to show a lot more related goods.

We are having a board meeting in a couple weeks to do further planning.

Come join us in Phoenix

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
plus Road Cases and other stuff
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2011 10:45 am    

I am taking requests (if I get invited back) since I can't think of a thing to play.
Chuck S. Lettes

Denver, Colorado
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2011 10:57 am    

Hey Doug (Earnest),
I have a request. Could you play a set on the lap steel for the Non-Pedal Session? Hope to see you in Phoenix.
Chuck
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2011 12:24 pm    

Chuck S. Lettes wrote:
Hey Doug (Earnest),
I have a request. Could you play a set on the lap steel for the Non-Pedal Session? Hope to see you in Phoenix.
Chuck

Sure ... oh great. Now I have to think of twice as many things to play.
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2011 3:39 pm     I agree

My request is to play in both places too.

Now you have another one on the non-pedal section Chuck ---- just put him on the schudle

Thanks for volenteering.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Hope everyone is smiling

Oh by the way I will give you a set list after you get set-up on stage.

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
plus Road Cases and other stuff too
Joe Naylor, Avondale, AZ (Phoenix) Announcer/Emcee owner www.steelseat.com *** OFFERING SEATS AND Effects cases with or without legs and other stuff ****** -Desert Rose Guitar S-10, Life Member of the Arizona Carport Pickers Assoc., Southwest Steel Guitar Assoc., Texas Steel Guitar Assoc., GA Steel Guitar Assoc., KS Steel Guitar Assoc. (Asleep at the Steel) tag line willed to me by a close late friend RIP
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2011 5:59 am    

We are lookin for lap steel players!

We want to have a BIG lap steel session

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Bobby Bowman

Cypress, Texas, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2011 7:42 am     Lap???????

Hey Joe,
I know a lap dancer that plays. She might even play steel. lol! Oh Well
Should I bring her along?
BB
Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2011 2:49 pm    

Earnest Bovine wrote:
I am taking requests (if I get invited back) since I can't think of a thing to play.

How about some Bach? Smile

Estrellita.
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2011 4:56 pm     policy

Bobby I checked with the legal department and we do not restrict what you bring but we also have a policy not to pay at the end of each song ----- I just heard that?

Bach is fine it will class things up after Bobby's comment.

But we always do say we want everyone to have fun and enjoy themselves.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

This is gonna be another good un

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2011 9:10 pm    

Bach, Bach, Bach. (Sounds like chicken pickin' to me...)
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2011 10:25 am    

I think it's time to go Bachless. Modern genuises of the pedal steel guitar are reaching so many more people by luxuriating in the complex, rich, ethereal sound itself, achieving powerful, spiritual, organic warmth in a depth of sonic atmosphere. So I think I should just turn up the echo effect, and noodle on an A minor chord for a half hour.
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2011 10:45 am     OK JIM Your are up on this conversation

Jim - I expected that from Arkansas but I guess you did spend time in Missouri so the chicken deal works.

Now --- What "Ernest said" - I will love his set as long as he does not use too many big words - engineering not grammer is my background.

Very Happy Very Happy Devil

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2011 1:56 pm    

Earnest Bovine wrote:
I think it's time to go Bachless. Modern genuises of the pedal steel guitar are reaching so many more people by luxuriating in the complex, rich, ethereal sound itself, achieving powerful, spiritual, organic warmth in a depth of sonic atmosphere. So I think I should just turn up the echo effect, and noodle on an A minor chord for a half hour.

Maybe tune all the strings to A?
Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2011 1:58 pm    

Here's an actual review of my playing on an album: “Dan Tyack's pedal steel is extremely attractive and airily luxuriant, bringing down afternoon skies to settle into a number of compositions,filling them up with a coruscating golden light.”

I think that's what Earnest might be talking about.
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2011 9:28 am    

Doug, please play that wry and witty Jimmy Webb song again, with Rick Schmidt doing the bass and lead vocal. Not only a great song, but at the Phoenix show 2 years ago a great performance by you both!

Thanks.
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2011 9:56 am    

Dan Tyack wrote:
“Dan Tyack's pedal steel is extremely attractive and airily luxuriant, bringing down afternoon skies to settle into a number of compositions,filling them up with a coruscating golden light.”

I think they mis-spelled "excoriating"... Wink

Last edited by Jim Cohen on 12 Sep 2011 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2011 10:02 am    

As you guys know, the 2012 show was inadvertently scheduled the same weekend as the NAMM show. I'm supposed to work the ZT Amp booth at NAMM, demonstrating how the amp is so versatile that it can used for any instrument, even a steel.

However, they may let me off the hook. Their booth is small and the steel takes up so much room that it might be impractical for them to have me there playing it. As of this moment, this is still up in the air. If I'm not stuck at NAMM, I'll come to Phoenix.
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2011 10:11 am     Meeting on a hill

We just had a Jam Saturday and a great weekend doing some of the final planning for the show. It was a board meeting and jam at Denny & Peggy Jo Beaver's house. He called it Wine in the Pines but I did not have any wine.

Anyway we had a fun weekend with the board there all weekend we hashed out a lot of things. NOW the notification, lining up of players, vendors, etc starts for sure.

We (I should say Chuck Lettes) has the planning for the non pedal section rolling - he has 10 or 11 players and we will be happy to have 3 or 4 times that many if possible. That session will be directly across the hallway / entrence to the main show room. As I am sure everyone knows by now we have a new hotel with lots more room. We have already lined up more vendors than ever before.

As many of you know we were simply out of room at the old hotel but at this one we have room to expand.

Siminars, more vendor rooms (all close to the show rooms)- the non-pedal session is in a large room with vendor rooms on either side of it.

We have lots of players that want to be on the main show and will start earlier on Thursday so plan to be there early.

More players + more vendors + longer time for the show + new facility = BIGGER AND BETTER SHOW (we hope) it takes everyone to make this thing work so we hope we have lots and lots more folks this year. See ya in January - but keep in touch

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Chuck S. Lettes

Denver, Colorado
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2011 12:53 pm    

Joe's right-this is going to be a fun time in a new venue. I'm glad that the SWSGA is hosting a Non-pedal Session. So far, I've been able to put together a partial lineup of players for the SWSGA's Non-pedal Session. I'm planning for a one day celebration of the lap steel, Saturday, Jan. 21. The format will be similar to the Rick Alexander Session at the Dallas show. We won't use drums so we can focus on the beauty of the lap steel sound, plus the lower volume will be a contrast to the grooving music on the Main Stage. Of course, everything can change, but so far the players who have confirmed with me include:
Dan Tyack
Doug Livingston
Ivan Reddington
Margie Mays
Bobby Black
Chris Kennison
Carco Clave
Chuck Lettes
Billy Easton
John D. Carter
Sharon Denny
Scotty

Some of the players who have volunteered to be part of the House Band include:
Ray Harrison-Bass
Ivan Reddington-Guitar
Carco Clave-Guitar and anything with strings!
Jim Stahlhut-guitar
We always can use more bass players and guitarists to back up the artists and to give some of the House Band a break. Of course, we still have room for more non-pedalers to perform. So let me know if you're interested.

I'm planning out my C6th Lap Steel Seminar. It will be a two hour workshop focusing on some lap steel techniques/ songs and exercises, primarily using just four strings of a six string lap steel. The cost of the Seminar will be $30, with $5 of that going back to the Club. Please contact me if you would like to play a set or attend my Lap Steel Seminar.
Chuck

Last edited by Chuck S. Lettes on 18 Sep 2011 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2011 1:01 pm     calling all lap steel players

"CALLING ALL LAP STEEL PLAYERS"
Come play on the show - if we need to work Chuck Lettes and the band 2 days we will do it.

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2011 1:07 pm    

Not to be a wet blanket, but I found the simultaneous pedal/non-pedal shows at the Dallas show really frustrating -- I often had to choose between two simultaneous great shows: do I see Mike Johnson, or Billy Robinson? That sort of rock and a hard place.

Is it going to be the same dilemma at Phoenix now, too?

I'm glad it's happening, honestly, but it sure can make for vexing decisions!

Thanks for spearheading this, Chuck.
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2011 1:15 pm     Oh my

John - we have worked hard on this because we have had lots and lots of folks wanting a non pedal session. One difference in ours and the one in Dallas is that they are close - just walk out the front door - across a big wide hall way and up some stairs and there you are - I was told that a problem with the Dallas on is you go to see a non pedal act you miss 3 - one going - see the act - and one coming back to the BIG room.

You will miss one song tops at ours.

Joe
Joe Naylor

Avondale, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2011 6:11 pm     Mike P.

To Mike P. I forgot to comment about your post.

We did NOT inadvertentaly schedule Phoenix show the same weekend the NAMM show --- we did not move our dates.

The NAMM people inadvertentaly scheduled on our weekend.

It is all a matter of prespective (now please smile this is ment to be a joke) so do not take it too seriously.

Very Happy

Joe Naylor
www.steelseat.com
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2011 6:45 pm    

Joe, I think it was not inadvertent. The folks at NAMM deliberately scheduled their show to conflict with yours, and they did it specifically to keep me stuck here in California, working, while you guys are all having fun. Muttering
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2011 8:03 pm    

Jim Cohen wrote:
Bach, Bach, Bach. (Sounds like chicken pickin' to me...)

So, is Randy Bachmann some sort of classical music super hero whose secret identity is being a rock star?