| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

This forum section is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Ralph Mooney Tribute
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Ralph Mooney Tribute
Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2011 3:48 pm    

Well I wasn't going to post this but after a conversation with an older attendee while waiting for the elevator (imagine that!) His encouragement made me think I would put it up.

So I was most looking forward to the Ralph Mooney set and I was pretty dissapointed.

First of all I think they could have had more info about his life, recordings, etc. between songs.. it was basically just a set of songs he played on. It didn't need to be verbose but a little more info/talking would have helped.

Secondly I dont think there was a single coil on stage and there DEFINITELY wan't a tube amp (I only saw one tube amp the whole weekend actually) If you are doing a Mooney set I think you would try to somewhat harken back to his tone.. none of the players on stage had even remotely a "Mooney-esque" tone... can't someone just bite the bullet and put a Sho-Bud into a tube amp for one set??

Thirdly, no one really tried to play many "Mooney Phrases" everyone just played like they play... If I'm doing a tribute to Humphrey Bogart and am receiting lines I don't use a Alabama accent. No one was really dancing on those pedals... (Jernigan the day before play a good tribute to Mooney btw. one one Mooney tune.)

All the players on stage were great players...dont get me wrong. I was just dissapointed cause that was the part of the show I was looking forward to the most and it was very dissapointing....

I'm sure I'll get ripped apart for this and people will think I'm badmouthing the players...I'm not.
William Beverly

California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Sep 2011 9:24 am    

I appreciated the respect that the five great players were showing, but I too was expecting something a little more 'authentic' or more in the nature of flattery by imitation. For a little of that go to Mike Headrick's website and check out his Moon tribute CD or listen to Shane Worley's
"Mooney's Got His Back".
Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2011 4:12 am    

I don't know if you are missing a point. It was announced as a tribute and thats exactly what was delivered..Think about it there was only one Ralph Mooney..Yes others can almost capture and imitate his sound but it can never be the same or recieved as the same..What was delivered was a tribute,His music,his accomplishments by people who admired him..I'm sure they could have come closer to his sound however these were steelers with their own style and sound, paying tribute to a hero using their own talents..
Dave Alfstad

Indianola, IA USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2011 7:43 am    

Imagine a tribute to Buck Owens and all of the singers sang their own tunes and not a single Buck Owens song. Aside from people simply showing up, I don't see how it's much of a tribute.
Ted Smouse

Austin, Texas USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2011 8:23 am    

Hey Josh,

Check in with Al Brisco, from Canada. He's a big Moon fan and has paid tribute to Ralph both in his recordings and with instructional material. I was surprised that Al was not part of the tribute line-up.

Al Brisco is an excellent player, and a real nice guy.

Ted
Austin, Texas
SteelRadio.org@gmail.com
https://www.steelradio.org

-a 501(c)(3) “Not For Profit” Organization