| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Recording-In A Little Hula Heaven
David Soreff

North Las Vegas, NV
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2011 2:36 pm    

I just picked up the audiophile version of BIAB and thought Iʻd throw something together to test it out. Iʻve always loved this song...made it a little more swing then Hawaiian...but what the heck. Hope you all enjoy.
http://soundcloud.com/eluamusic/in-a-little-hula-heaven
David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2011 7:24 pm    

Top stuff, David! Is that a stock-standard BIAB backing style, or did you create it? It sounds a lot better than anything I have in BIAB 2007.

North Las Vegas, NV
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2011 9:03 pm    

Aloha David,
Mahalo for the kind words. First up, this is the audiophile version of BIAB, so one of the reasons it sounds as good as it does, is that it is using the real instruments. The style is a "real style", so it is stock, but with a little tweaking. Iʻve had the new version for a week or so, and I am really liking it. It has its limitations, but is miles beyond the versions that I used to have.
John Burton

Manassas, Va
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2011 3:51 am    

Great! I love it. Nice phrasing.
Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2011 10:05 am    

Sounds great David, what guitar and tuning are you usin on this song?
David Soreff

North Las Vegas, NV
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2011 11:04 am    

Aloha Andy,
Mahalo for the compliment. The tuning is just a vanilla C6/Am7, and the guitar is a nasty old Supro Jet Airliner 8, which I play as a 6. Not my favorite steel, but the one I have with me right now. (My faves are in storage on the cruise ship where I work)
Jerry Gleason

Eugene, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2011 11:20 am    

Very nice! Good tune, too. You get a great sound out of that old Supro.

I like the BIAB style. I am still using BIAB 2009 with "Real Tracks", but I find them kind of limited. Maybe it's worth upgrading to 2011.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2011 11:29 am    

I like it! Very cool vintage tone and feeling! Cool
Jeffrey Wewers

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2011 12:15 pm    

You've captured the sound I love about Hawaiian steel guitar music. Beautiful tone and phrasing. You've got the "touch".

Jeff
Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2011 8:18 am    

Sounds like you have been practicing, Dave! Very Happy
Good bang up job!
I am anxiously awaiting to hear you in person at one of the Steel Guitar conventions. Cool

Aloha, Smile
Don
David Soreff

North Las Vegas, NV
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2011 11:02 am    

Aloha Don,
Mahalo nui for the compliment. Yes, I have been shedding a little bit. We took the summer off from doing ships, so I have been getting some time "in the seat". I've actually been practicing bass more then steel, but it's all good. As far as conventions go, unfortunately, I am almost always working on the ships when they occur. BUT...looking at the schedule, it seems that the AISGC usually happens in July. I might be able to make that one next year. If the finances allow, I can try to make that it.
Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2011 8:08 pm    

Quote:
BUT...looking at the schedule, it seems that the AISGC usually happens in July. I might be able to make that one next year. If the finances allow, I can try to make that it.

The AISGC convention is a great one with some great Hawaiian Steel guitarists like Herb Hanawahine, Bobby Ingano, Duke Ching who are regular attenders.
It is a small town atmosphere which makes it very informal. I call it the Waimanalo festival at Winchester. Laughing

Start saving your money now. Look for the discount fares to the Dayton, Ohio airport. It is closest to Winchester. Or the Indianapolis Airport. If you coordinate your plans on time and date you could possibly ride with us from Indianapolis airport to Winchester. Keep in touch on that one. We fly to Indianapolis because of SWA Senior fares.

Aloha, Smile
Don
Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2011 9:15 pm    

Very nice, Dave. I'm still working on it. Alan gave me a dozen versions to learn from - Jules Ah See, Billy Hew Lin, Lion Kobayashi, Tom Toma, Bing Crosby, Darlene Ahuna. etx. Latel I've been playing it on my B11 neck -still a lot of work to do no the bridge. Nice tempo for it, too.
David Soreff

North Las Vegas, NV
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2011 11:06 am    

Aloha Jack,
Yeah, I've heard some different versions of it. I took Alan's arrangement and stuck pretty closely to it. (I did come up with the the ending, which if memory serves me right is a quote from Little Brown Jug.)

I'd love to hear it on B11. Funnily enough, I did a number of months with Alan on B11, and I enjoy playing it, but am veering sharply back to C6. I am polishing up on Hilo March, which Alan told me he plays in B11. Different strokes and all that I guess. When you have it ready, I'd love to hear this in B11. Keep me posted.
Jack Aldrich

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2011 5:18 pm    

Will do, Dave. A part is very chordal, bridge is still a mystery for me, so far. - Jack