| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  battery powered amps for lapsteel
Jerome Hawkes

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2011 12:38 pm    

i wanted to post this in the non-pedal section cause i know most of us dont venture over in electronics - but before i make the purchase, do any of you have any recommendations on a battery powered amp for lap steel?

went to a lot of festivals this summer where it would have been nice to have one as most of these are acoustic swing jams. the one i see most is the roland cube rx which looks nice, but i've heard clean is not its strong point - mainly for a crunch sound.

any thing else out there in the $200-400 range?

North Las Vegas, NV
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2011 12:46 pm    

Jerome...the Roland Cube Street is a real winner. I've had one for a while, and never been let down. Great sound, VERY portable and the batteries last forever. Great clean sounds!
David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2011 1:43 pm    

The Vox battery amps have very good tone, and reverb if you like that sound.

Argyle,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2011 1:44 pm    

Vox DA-5! I've played a cube and own a Vox. It works well and has an extra input for a mic.
Stephen Baker

Lancashire, UK
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2011 3:43 pm    

I’ve got a Vox mini 3. It cost me about £85 here in the UK and it’s amazing. The clean setting is good , the tweed twin and bassman are great for a little crunch but the “line” setting is loud and ultra clean, I even use it for nylon string guitar. Plus it has all the various distortion settings, delay( with speed & repeat setting), reverb, compression, chorus, flanger, tremolo( if you want them), built in tuner and separate mic input. The other selling point over the Roland etc. for me was the AC input is 12v, the same as most auto batteries. I use a cigarette lighter attachment to a battery booster / jump starter or straight to the car. I can’t recommend them enough. Steve
Steve Hamill

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2011 4:22 pm     Roland Mini Cube

I recently went to a Hawaiian music camp and every
lap steel player in attendance including me was
using the mini cube. They have great tone and a
line out to the PA if you need it. I paid $60 used
on Craigslist.
Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2011 6:38 pm    

The Roland Micro Cube seems to sound good with some guitars, and not so good with others. Nice little amp though.....
Todd Clinesmith

Lone Rock Free State Oregon
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2011 6:47 pm    

I have a Roland Micro Cube. The tone is not ideal, but you get used to it. For what it does .... it is a great unit, and a good bang for the buck. The batteries last for close to 40 hours+ ( 6 AA's) too. The clean tones do go away after volume and gain is 1/2 way up. or so If you are playing with acoustic players you should not need to exceed that.
Geoff Cline

Southwest France
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2011 7:39 am    

The L'il Chuckster. Built like a tank and tone for days...particularly if you like playing blues or stuff with some "attitude."

http://www.chucksteramps.com/
Steve Hamill

California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2011 8:45 am     Lil Chuckster

Looks very interesting. Nothing came up when I clicked on the Buy button. Still making them?
Bryan Daste

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2011 1:39 pm    

I have an audio demo of an Artisan lap steel (not the best, I know) through a Vox DA5 here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCQUV-FmnXY

It was a demo for a package deal I was selling with the amp, steel, picks, bar & cable. It sold fast!
Jeffrey Wewers

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2011 2:09 pm    

I build my own. Easy, fun and they sound good. I get pre-wired amp modules on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Low-Voltage-Audio-Amplifier-Module-Kit-NJM386D-LM386-/250530511493?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3a54c83a85

Then I mount them in old intercom speaker boxes (more Ebay), using the intercom speaker, add a jack, and I'm done. Here's a pic:

The two on the left are finished - I use them regularly. Of these two, the tweed one took a little more work. I made it from an old suitcase I found at a flea market. Same electronics, speaker and grille were more inexpensive online purchases.
Bob Russell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2011 2:35 pm    

Joe Snow wrote:
Vox DA-5! I've played a cube and own a Vox. It works well and has an extra input for a mic.

Another vote for the Vox DA-5. Amazingly good for the money.
Steve Ahola

Concord, California
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2011 2:49 pm    

It's not battery powered but IMO the coolest tiny amp is the Kustom Tube 12. Although sold as a practice amp I have played gigs in small bars with a full band and it kept up with the drummer. For regular guitar I replaced the 8" Celestion with an Eminence Beta 8 (a 225 watt driver for PA's and bass cabs) to fill out the bottom end a bit, although I prefer the stock speaker for lap steel. The "tube" in the name refers to the 12AX7A preamp tube, although the rest of the circuitry is analog solid state.

I keep a "20 ft. 16/3 Cord Reel with 4 Outlets" ($20 from Home Depot) in my car at all times:

I also keep a 12" piggyback plug adaptor on hand so I can plug into a power strip that is already full. This is the closest picture I could find (imagine it terminating in a regular 3 prong female jack rather than an IEC connector):

My favorite one has the cord coming out at a 45 degree angle so it can fit most power strips although I do have all 3 styles.

BTW I recommend a rig like that even for a battery powered amp to keep from using up the battery power when AC voltage is available. The Vox DA-5 uses 6 C cells which can get a bit pricey. I would try using some of the new high amperage rechargeable NiMH AA cells with the adaptors to allow them to replace C cells. Or you can just keep buying the alkaline batteries from Sally- you know, the Sally who sells C cells down by the seashore... Whoa!

Steve Ahola

P.S. For the Lil Chuckster or the Vox DA-5 I would use a small 12 volt automotive power pack (for jumping your car when the battery is dead). They usually come with 1 or 2 12v sockets so you would need to buy or make a DC power cord.

Recordings on electric guitar:
http://www.box.net/blue-diamonds
http://www.box.net/the-culprits
Joe Snow

Argyle,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2011 3:15 pm     Jeffrey

Your amps are mighty cool.
George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2011 4:15 pm     1 more choice

Check out the Roland KC 110 Keyboard battery amp.

This version is 399.99 at all of the stores. It Has 10 watts per each of the 2 -- 10 inch loudspeakers On Batteries , and 15 watts per side with the AC Adapter.

The big issue with the micro cube type amps is the low watts and quick distortion.

This fellow has the most watts and the most ability to push air with the 10" loudspeakers. Resulting in the loudest clean of the offers.

It also has 3 inputs 2 band EQ the mic in has both 3pin and 1/4 jack.

If the piezo tweeters are too sharp , a simple piece of Gaffers Tape is enuff to dampen them.
YouTube Channel
Steve Ahola

Concord, California
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2011 6:02 pm    

Good point about the lack of clean headroom in many/most of those small portable amps, George.

The KC-110 has a li'l brother that some people have raved about for about 2/3rd the price, the Roland Street Cube, but I don't know how well it would work with steel guitar. It has one channel for a microphone plus one channel for a guitar. Downside in my opinion is that the Street Cube uses digital modeling to recreate the sounds of several vintage amps and effects- I prefer the good old fashioned analog amps whether they might be tube or solid state. No pretending that it is one amp or another- they are a real amp in their own right. (I believe that the KC-110 amp is analog solid state rather than digital- right?)

Steve

Recordings on electric guitar:
http://www.box.net/blue-diamonds
http://www.box.net/the-culprits
Steve Hamill

California, USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2011 6:46 pm     No more Chuckster for now...

Dan Rasp with Lil Chuckster amps emailed me and said he is no longer making the amps as they were too labor intensive.
David Matzenik

Cairns, on the Coral Sea
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2011 7:09 pm    

Jeffrey, If your amps sound as good as they look, they must be 'way cool! What size speaker will that unit run? PS Is that a Bronson bakelite?

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2011 6:17 am    

I've run a 6" speaker with that amp module. Yes, that's Bronson(Rick in disguise).
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2011 1:19 pm    

That's how to do it, Jeffery, nice stuff!
Steve Green

Gulfport, MS, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2011 1:48 pm    

Jeffrey Wewers wrote:
I build my own. Easy, fun and they sound good. I get pre-wired amp modules on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Low-Voltage-Audio-Amplifier-Module-Kit-NJM386D-LM386-/250530511493?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3a54c83a85

Then I mount them in old intercom speaker boxes (more Ebay), using the intercom speaker, add a jack, and I'm done. . .

Jeffery,
On these units you link to on ebay: Do you simply wire CN1 to a 9v battery, CN2 to an input jack, and CN3 to a 6" speaker?

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2011 4:28 am    

George P.,

The Roland KC 110 has 6.5" speakers.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=1057

Still looks good, though.

I'm pretty happy with my Vox DA-5, prefer it over the Roland Micro Cube.

Best,

Bob
George Piburn

The Land of Enchantment New Mexico
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2011 6:08 am     Eyes getting bad in my old age !!

Dear Bob -- Good catch,

I love my mini cube too. They (mini- and Vox ) do tend to run out of clean volume when in a playing condition with other amplified instruments.

So far as getting the maximum clean volume from one of these battery amps , the KC 110 is for certain the best one ,2 separate amps@ 10X the power = a full double in volume without distortion from the amp portion. The 6.5 sized loud speakers X 2 will also double the output volume naturally by pushing a lot more air + a much more distinct Tone range of Lows and Highs.

The other features like the 3 pin , 3 channels - hi low EQ - metal thingy to lean it back - all add to a superior item for the original request of this thread.

Roland also makes one of these for Acoustic instruments , Gerald Ross loves his , and the power is basically the same as the KC110 - this would be a really good choice if the player doubles on Ukulele or guitar.

I am pretty sure the Street model still has the 1 watt amps, not the 10 watt ones. The additional power makes a huge difference for the better over all performance.
YouTube Channel
Jeffrey Wewers

New Jersey, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2011 6:43 am    

Steve, that's it exactly.

Jeff

On these units you link to on ebay: Do you simply wire CN1 to a 9v battery, CN2 to an input jack, and CN3 to a 6" speaker?