| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nice pic of Jerry Garcia on Steel
Jonathan Shacklock

London, UK
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2008 8:30 am    

I see a photographer is selling prints on eBay of a pic he took of JG on stage with NRPS from 1970. Haven't seen this one before. Just a heads up for Deadheads et al:

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2008 8:38 am     Jerry Garcia......................

It doesn't look like "BLACK MICA"...........
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2008 8:39 am    

Jonathan, thanks for that pic of JG. A player who's been dumped on by many in the steel world but IMHO created a masterpiece with his work on CSN&Y's "Teach Your Children".

It's one of the all time greatest pieces of steel work for it's simplicity and beauty. It's one of those recordings that when you hear it you know immediately what it is. I loved his tone on that piece. There are some steel rides that come to mind such as Emmon's "Nightlife", Dugmore's "Blue Bayou, Brumley's "Together Again" and others. IMO this one ranks right up there with the others!

His lead guitar work is legendary but he's got some other jewels out there on steel guitar. Check out his original work with the New Riders of the Purple Sage. There's a tidbit or two in some of that stuff and some lackluster moments also.......JH in Va.

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2008 9:24 am     Yes, thank you, Jonathan...

Jerry Hayes wrote:

...IMHO created a masterpiece with his work on CSN&Y's "Teach Your Children".

...IMO this one ranks right up there with the others!

.......JH in Va.

Nice comments, Jerry!

If you figure how many aging "Deadheads", "Hippies" and "Boomers" wore out about 50 copies each of Deja Vu, not to mention the number of "Oldie", "Classic Rock", "Smooth Jazz", "MOR", etc, radio stations that have this in the rotation...

This could be the most listened to steel guitar work of all time.

(I might have been a "Deadhead" if I weren't in military service during more than that entire era. Come to think of it, military service came awful close to makin' me a dead head...a couple of times!)

Johnne Lee Whoa!

"In the course of a long life a wise man will be prepared to abandon his baggage several times."
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2008 9:33 am    

Thats him playing his 69 D-10 ZB through a Fender Twin Reverb. Dark brown mahogony. Notice he doesn't have the C6th neck rods hooked up. I believe this guitar only had two knees.
Ken Mizell

Lakeland, Florida, 33809, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2008 8:37 pm    

Ditto's what Jerry said, 100%. I once heard CSN (without Y) do Teach Your Children in concert, with Stills doing 6 string where Jerry's parts were on the record. It just wasn't right, and the lack of PSG left a really huge void in the song. I was into this song long before I knew who played the PSG on the record.

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2008 10:01 pm    

Johnne Lee, No wonder you're into JG--in your avatar you bear an uncanny resemblance! Winking Laughing
Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2008 2:46 am    

Kevin Hatton wrote:
Thats him playing his 69 D-10 ZB through a Fender Twin Reverb. Dark brown mahogony. Notice he doesn't have the C6th neck rods hooked up. I believe this guitar only had two knees.

Kevin
The standard ZB D10 only came with 2 knee levers at that time. I bought one and had to get 2 extra levers made and fitted in the UK.
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2008 4:49 am    

Ken Mizell wrote:
Ditto's what Jerry said, 100%. I once heard CSN (without Y) do Teach Your Children in concert, with Stills doing 6 string where Jerry's parts were on the record. It just wasn't right, and the lack of PSG left a really huge void in the song.

Apparently the recently reformed CSNY agree. They hired the great Dean Parks to play both guitar and steel with them.
Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 28 Sep 2008 5:09 am    

Mike - Thanks. Good news. If they come around this corner of the world, I'll try to go see the concert. With decent venues in Tampa and Orlando, maybe I'll luck out.

Longmont,Co,USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2008 8:55 am    

There's almost a full page of posts here without one snide comment! I'm sure that will end soon.

Garcia also had dome pretty tasty work with Brewer and Shipley during that period. That's him on "One Toke Over The Line" and other tunes on that album. (Giving him even MORE airplay as a steel session man on another big hit) When Garcia had to cut back on his steel sessions Buddy Cage took over that studio slot, he's on one of their albums as well.

JB

"All in all, looking back, I'd have to say the best advice anyone ever gave me was 'Hands Up, Don't Move!"

"Your FIRST mistake was listening to your wife instead of your steel instructor." (H.Steiner)
Johnne Lee Ables

Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2008 9:34 am     Jeez, I hope not...

JB Arnold wrote:

There's almost a full page of posts here without one snide comment! I'm sure that will end soon.

JB

Boy, JB, I really hope not. I hate to see "...snide comments..." about anyone who is willing to publicly expose themselves on a challenging new instrument.

Obviously JG wasn't the great 'steeler' that non-country fans think he was. I know personally that Jerry was embarrassed by the Guitar Player Magazine poll results, and he said so publicly on many occasions.

He was a talented guy, but we'll never know how talented because his creativity (Like so many others.) was blunted by the drugs.

What always amazed me about JG wasn't his ability on the PSG, but how quickly he developed the ability that he had. The PSG is one of the most complicated instruments to learn.

Johnne Lee

"In the course of a long life a wise man will be prepared to abandon his baggage several times."
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2008 10:01 am     Re: Jeez, I hope not...

Johnne Lee Ables wrote:
JG wasn't the great 'steeler' that non-country fans think he was.

Shut yo mout. Jery Garsia wuz thu gratest stele gitaris in thu wurld. Perlowin sez wee shud lisen tu theze gize Buddy Emmons and Lloyd Green, bd I asck yuu, Ef these gize ar so grate, how com I nevur herd uf thm, an wy dint CSNY uze thm instid uv Jery?
Jonathan Shacklock

London, UK
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2008 11:47 am    

Here's another:

Here's the photographer's eBay store.
Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2008 2:15 pm    

Nice pic of Jerry Garcia on Steel---Oxymoran, Oxymoron. Laughing Laughing

Never met the Dude. Smile

Roger
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2008 2:51 pm     Tie-dyed Amp Speaker Screens

Heh, those amp speaker screens appear to be tie-dyed which would fit the time period! Maybe it also affected the sound Jerry got too . stevet
Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2008 4:38 am    

I'm glad to hear that CSN&Y are using a steel in concert as "Teach Your Children" could never be as impressive without it.  It's one of those tunes which had it all,  great vocals, arrangment, lyrics...just the overall production of that tune, for that matter, the whole Deja Vu album.  I'm also one of those who wore out an LP along with a cassette or two of it.  I think I might even have had an eight track of it at one point.  Ken mentioned seeing the concert where Stills did the steel parts on six string, that'd probably really suck when you're used to hearing the steel work.   I remember in the late eighties I went to a Roseann Cash concert at the Hampton Colliseum when she was still pretty big in country music and to my surprise she didn't have a steel player.  Her opening act (Steve Earle) did have one though.   Roseann had a great lead guitarist with her (Steuart Smith) but when she did "Seven Year Ache" I thought the song almost died without that great steelwork you heard on the record.   I'm basically a lead guitarist who doubles on steel but I'd never presume to think that I could do justice to a classic steel ride with a six string.  It just ain't the same.......JH in Va.

Nebraska
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2008 10:50 pm    

'Teach your children well' was a very beautiful song, jerry did a lovely part on that, very very heartfelt, that song always catches me when i hear that on the radio, steel guitar was mind blowing as were the words,That song always stops me in my tracks!! Lets teach them well [if we can] in honour of Jerry Smile
Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2008 2:16 am    

Brint Hannay wrote:
Johnne Lee, No wonder you're into JG--in your avatar you bear an uncanny resemblance! Winking Laughing

Have you ever seen them together...? Shocked

Nebraska
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2008 8:11 am    

I agree jerry, six string will never be the same Confused
Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 5 Oct 2008 11:53 am    

CSN doing "Teach" without steel during that concert I saw back around 1981-82 (Wasted on the Way and Southern Cross were big at the time), was about the same let down I had when I finally made it to a Buck Owens concert and there was no steel on the stage (during Bucks non-steel period between Jay Dee and Jerry Brightman). One of the first things I thought of when I sat down and looked at the stage was - "How are they going to pull off Teach without a steel?" It just didn't work. The second thing I thought of when I looked at the stage, was - "Will I be able to see the stage through all the 'haze'."
Smile

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2008 1:02 am    

I had the steel guitar parts for "Teach Your Children" down note for note back in the 70s on my Marlen D10 (Lloyd Green's copedent). It was simple to play and it sounded fantastic.

Unfortunately the band I played with didn't do that sort of music (CSNY was not their genre) so for me it was a bit of an exercise in learning to reproduce another style of playing. But I just loved playing it, even if I was only imagining the rest of the band playing along with me!

Jerry's style was distinctive. He "signed his name" on every note.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.
Bo Legg

Post  Posted 13 Oct 2008 1:00 pm    

Jerry always sounded to me like he was trying to play Day licks and just didn't get there. I'm not knocking what he did in "Teach Your Children" but it did not catch on with other groups, so in general I don't think they were that impressed.
I can't help but think the PSG might have caught on better if someone more technically advanced had played on that song.
Unfortunately I can only imagine what John Hughey would have done with that song.
Ken Mizell

Post  Posted 13 Oct 2008 1:57 pm    

I like it just like it is. It worked just right for that song. Actually, I don't think a "Nashville sound" would have worked right. It's hard to speculate anyway. A steel guitarist such as Al Perkins may have been able to lend the type of sound that song needed. I don't think the John Hughey sound would have worked (and I'm a big John Hughey fan too).

Central MA USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2008 2:42 pm    

Ken Mizell wrote:
I like it just like it is. It worked just right for that song. Actually, I don't think a "Nashville sound" would have worked right. It's hard to speculate anyway. A steel guitarist such as Al Perkins may have been able to lend the type of sound that song needed. I don't think the John Hughey sound would have worked (and I'm a big John Hughey fan too).

Agreed.