| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  SGF may not be ideal for the Newbie
Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 15 Aug 2011 12:35 am    

Having never uttered the words “I don’t know” the pretentious participate in fallaciousness in total disregard of documentary by the perspicacious.
In this regard perhaps The Steel Guitar Forum may not be the ideal learning experience for the Newbie.
Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2011 1:02 am    

...more than one way to "skin a ... moose". Newbies should learn that ASAP - or even earlier, so as not to become confused by the information-spread.
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2011 6:20 am     Hummm!

Stuart may be correct. The amount of information available on the forum may have unknowingly and even unintended, become part of the weeding out process. It appears that concentrated focus and direction, now can be easily interrupted. When there were only a few well known sources of instruction, it may have been easier to choose and even easier to stick with what was chosen. Few argued that the Winnie Winston book "Pedal Steel Guitar", in the past, was a pretty good jumping off point. It in fact, took many far. Today, even it's volume of information, pales in the light of the amount of information available to a beginning steel player. A beginner could easily be overcome by the shear volume of that information. Get an instructor early, focus and don't believe everything you read, is what I should have done. And, just because a player wants to help, doesn't mean they can or will. Even though most would like to. Choose wisely "Grasshopper"! And of course, my opinion...
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2011 9:43 am    

It's not just the steel guitar world- this information age amazo interweb allows anyone to promote and publish any random idea as "the truth". Just visit any of the tele or recording forums and watch newbies trying to get straight answers on anything...

That being said, there are many buried gems here for the determined miner. I have often wondered if there should be a forum sticky warning new visitors to sift carefully!
Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 15 Aug 2011 9:46 am    

Maybe a panel of the perspicacious aptly named “The Forum Machete” could come to the rescue of the Newbie’s as they try to work their way though an overgrown jungle of information.
"The Forum Machete" would then prove its worth not only able to hack through even the densest brush of hit and miss information but make an effective melee weapon should the need arise.
Jim Hollingsworth

Way out West
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2011 9:50 am     Name change?

Perhaps the name should be The Steel Guitar Opinion Forum?? We could have one section set aside specifically for Steel Guitar Facts & then the remainder could Opinions and Myths.

Actually, I am very appreciative of the wealth of information on here - but the user needs to filter out the good, the bad, and the Ugly!

Jim
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2011 10:31 am    

Stuart, there's only 1 Bill H
pllllllease no clone

SGF FAQ :
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=43131&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 15 Aug 2011 11:57 am    

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
I think the excessive syllable verbiage necessary in this instance expanding the appearance of immoderate rhetoric in opposition to the usual layman's terminology "The Forum sucks for greenhorns"
Wally Taylor

Hardin, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2011 12:15 pm    

Oh, I don't know. I can remember about 5 years ago gettin on the Forum as a newbie and although there were several opinions going around, I found them all interesting. Yeah, you can get clouded with all the information, but as a new guy, you probably did not know the difference anyway. I personally, found the Forum extremely helpful and people were so nice to answer my questions and give support. As for me, if you are a newbie or seasoned vet, this is the place to be!
Very Happy
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2011 12:47 pm    

Where's my Bill Hankey dictionary?
Joseph Barcus

Volga West Virginia
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2011 12:50 pm    

i have been here for years and have always found it very useful. if the newbies are confused then i feel they should walk out and close the door behind then as to not let it hit them in the a!! would be a good way to put it in a language they can all understand

Post  Posted 15 Aug 2011 1:06 pm    

Quote:
"The Forum Machete" would then prove its worth not only able to hack through even the densest brush of hit and miss information but make an effective melee weapon should the need arise.

Maybe the Forum Machete could begin by hacking through the pretentious usage of words like perspicacious. Rolling Eyes
Roy Davis

Denton, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2011 2:23 pm    

As a newbie it's not the things I don't understand that bothers me it's the things I do understand and continue to work on.This forum to me is like milking a cow on a cold morning with warm hands.It's appreciated.It has a wealth of information from some of the best steel players in the world.Just don't try and chew meat until your weaned off the milk.
Christopher Woitach

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2011 2:42 pm    

I should know better than to post to this, but...

The Steel Guitar Forum is a terrific resource, full of useful information about a somewhat arcane instrument. It's also populated by humans, which guarantees a wide range of style, intelligence, and good or bad intentions. In addition to this, it's on the internet, which features the best and worst that people can come up with.

I like to believe that anyone who's intelligent enough to figure out the steel guitar is intelligent enough to take things with a grain of salt while sifting through to find the beautiful gems that generous players like Reece Anderson, Paul Franklin, and other serious musicians share with those of us who are interested in playing the instrument.
Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2011 2:58 pm    

Barry, I'm with you.
Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 15 Aug 2011 3:22 pm    

For those of you who are with Barry.
I in no way utilized sesquipedalianism as a means to segregate and elevate myself over Forum participants.
I will agree verbal construction utilizing less amplification might represent a more naturally efficacious phraseology, as a result.
However it matters little since I could use all two syllable words or Pig Latin and attract the same melee of antagonists.
While the Forum is not Ideal information for the Newbie there is still not anything better out there.
Bob Russell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2011 4:35 pm    

Stuart Legg wrote:
For those of you who are with Barry.
I in no way utilized sesquipedalianism as a means to segregate and elevate myself over Forum participants.
I will agree verbal construction utilizing less amplification might represent a more naturally efficacious phraseology, as a result.
However it matters little since I could use all two syllable words or Pig Latin and attract the same melee of antagonists.
While the Forum is not Ideal information for the Newbie there is still not anything better out there.

If your intent was pastiche, then I found your circumlocution efficacious.
Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 15 Aug 2011 6:43 pm    

In what way?
I adhered strictly to amphilogism in an effort to avoided a melee.
I was counting on Mr Hankey to rescue me before I used up my last big box of word chunks.
I was just trying to add a little fun to an otherwise boring topic.
Wally Taylor

Hardin, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2011 9:31 pm    

Don't worry, Stuart, I know what you were doing and I thought it was very funny. I just wanna know where in the Sam Hill, you and others, found all those 10 dollar words!! Laughing
Papa Joe Pollick

Swanton, Ohio
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2011 6:11 am    

Wally Taylor wrote:
Don't worry, Stuart, I know what you were doing and I thought it was very funny. I just wanna know where in the Sam Hill, you and others, found all those 10 dollar words!! Laughing

in skule
Joseph Barcus

Volga West Virginia
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2011 6:32 am    

This thread sort of reminded me of Merle's fighting side of me. this is by far the best place for steel guitar players to be. Ive been here since 1999

Bradford, Pa. Frozen Tundra
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2011 7:20 am    

These threads certainly help my position in the game of "Scrabble"... Very Happy

Denton, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2011 2:18 pm    

Ray,if your using these words you must be winning hands down. Laughing
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2011 5:53 am    

Mark van Allen wrote:
It's not just the steel guitar world- this information age amazo interweb allows anyone to promote and publish any random idea as "the truth". Just visit any of the tele or recording forums and watch newbies trying to get straight answers on anything...

That being said, there are many buried gems here for the determined miner. I have often wondered if there should be a forum sticky warning new visitors to sift carefully!

And that is the truth well stated ! The internet is fine place, but strange as well. Ask a question, you will get countless responses of which many of those responding may know less than you but may appear to know more than you.

Each of the Music forums ( probably all forums) have the same dilemma, a responder may state that they have been playing an Instrument for 10 years but in actuality they may have repeated the first year 10 times ! But this should not detract from asking any question, just filter the responses...

t

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website