| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Al Vescovo and the Academy of Country Music
Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2011 12:05 pm    

The following is a letter from Tim Bruner, musical director of the ACM awards show from 1976 to 1993.

To Whom It May Concern:

I find it a distinct pleasure to write a few thoughts about Al Vescovo, steel guitarist extraordinaire. I have known and worked professionally with Al since 1972, first as a fellow studio guitarist on many TV films, motion pictures, jingles and phonograph records. In 1976, the first year I was made Musical Director of the Academy of Country Music Awards, I hired Al to play steel guitar in my orchestra. The requirements of the music I was to provide to “back up” the many Country Music stars on the show was that it had to sound “exactly” like the phonograph recordings of their hits. I therefore filled my orchestra with the very best and most competent studio musicians in Los Angeles. I had to “write out” the prominent steel guitar fills and solos within my arrangements, as well as describe to Al in the briefest of terms how to interpret the notated parts. Never… NEVER, in the 17 years that Al worked on this show for me, did he fail to play exactly what was written out for him to play (always having to sight read the charts), or to “miss” the style or sound of the steel guitar needed in backing up a particular country artist.

I should point out that because Al played in my orchestra for 17 years on the Academy of Country Music Awards network television shows, he provided the steel guitar backing for hundreds of country music artists. Also, because of the fact that each of these 17 telecasts had an approximate viewing audience of 20 million viewers (which translates into approximately 340 million listeners over the 17 years!), I can confidently say that Al’s steel guitar has been heard by more people than just about any other steel guitar player in the history of the industry! If a steel guitarist is to have been heard by 340 million listeners, I can think of no one as deserving to be that steel guitarist than Al Vescovo!

I am thrilled that Al’s steel guitar contributions to the world of music are being recognized, and if there is any other information, endorsements or history that I can provide after having been a professional associate… and more importantly a friend, of Al’s for the past 38 years, then please feel free to contact me.

Very Sincerely,
Tom Bruner
Musical Director
Academy of Country Music Awards (1976-1993)
Golden Globe Awards (1980-1993)