| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need help with MSA Semi-Classic
Matt Cordano

Oakdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 20 Jul 2011 9:48 pm    

Hi folks,
My friend has this old MSA Semi-Classic, and asked me if I'd help him figure out what it might be worth. His mom traded a horse for it. She lives up in north east Texas--somewhere around Tyler maybe. Apparently it was owned by a Ken Simmons, as his name is still on the case. The number on the bottom is 1S370-1. It has four pedals and two levers, a set up I'm not quite used to playing. The A pedal on this guitar raises the 4th and fifth strings, kind of like the C pedal on my guitar, and vise-versa--the C pedal on this works like the A on mine, raising the 5th and 10th. The B raises the 3rd and 6th, and it has a fourth pedal that lowers the 5th and 10th. As for the two levers, the RKL lowers the 2nd string and raises one of the others, and the RKR lowers the Es.
Anyway, I'd appreciate any info on what a guitar like this might be worth. I was thinking of buying it myself, but I like my Rains and don't want to get used to a new copedent.
Thanks!
Matt Cordano

Picture file
Picture file
Picture file
Picture file
Picture file
Picture file
Picture file
Picture file
Picture file
Picture file
Picture file
Picture file
Picture file
Picture file
Picture file

Rocking "S" Ranch, Comancheria, Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2011 7:00 am    

sounds like the 'day ' tuning to me. probably could be changed to what you're used to playing....

phred

Think about it!!
Matt Cordano

Oakdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2011 9:05 am    

Is that "Day" as in Jimmy Day? I don't know. Don't know much, I'm afraid. I've been playing PSG for six years and I am still very much a beginner.
Really, I'm most curious about what this guitar might be worth.
Also, is it possible to determine the year based on the serial number?

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2011 9:36 am    

Matt, If Reese Anderson sees this he can tell you the day the guitar was made. YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Oakdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2011 9:40 am    

Thanks Charles! Maybe I'll bump this a couple times over the next few weeks and hope he sees it.

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2011 10:03 am    

Matt, these are great guitars, essentially the same build quality as the 70s MSA pro models, just with fewer bells and whistles.

Doesn't look like too many get sold/bought here on the Forum - I did a quick search of the For Sale section and found these links which may or may not be of help with getting a really rough idea of the value (none are really recent):

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=193557&highlight=msa+semi+classic

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=183726&highlight=msa+semi+classic

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=182761&highlight=msa+semi+classic

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=120466&highlight=msa+semi+classic
Matt Cordano

Oakdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2011 10:26 am    

This is very helpful, Keith. Thanks!

Rocking "S" Ranch, Comancheria, Texas, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2011 7:14 pm    

Matt, correct. The Jimmy Day tuning reversed the a and c pedals from the common emmons tuning. Reece probably can help you if you make special mention to him with the serial number.

phred

Think about it!!
Rick Schacter

Portland, Or.
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2011 8:41 pm     Very reliable guitar

I had an MSA Semi-Classic.
It was a rock solid guitar.
The only reason I sold it was because I only play at home these days and didn't need two pedal steel guitars.

My only complaint was that the guitar was a bit heavy. But it wasn't a problem that a good hand truck couldn't solve. The guitar will definitely not dance around on you when you're trying to play it.

If you don't like the copedant, you can change it on this guitar.

Keith Murrow provided some good information to give you an idea about what to pay for this guitar.

My MSA Semi-Classic was very much like the one pictured in the first link.

Reece is the guy to go to if you want to find out when this guitar was built. He was always very helpful to me with any questions that I might have had.

Rick

p.s.- Reece, if you're reading this, I would still be interested in an MSA t-shirt if you ever decide to make them. Very Happy

Last edited by Rick Schacter on 21 Jul 2011 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brian McGaughey

Orcas Island, WA USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2011 8:44 pm    

Matt,

Mine was the last one sold on the forum in October. I got $800 including shipping. It was clean with no serious issues but was well used. 3 pedals/3 knees when I sold it. I paid $550 for it (I think) and it had 3 pedals/2knees when I got it.

Rough estimate is $600 to $800 for a quick and fair deal. My opinion and I'm no expert. Smile

Good luck to you and your buddy.
Matt Cordano

Oakdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2011 7:21 am    

Thanks everybody. All of these responses are totally helpful.