| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Finger Sho-bud D10
Thomas Butler

Robbinsdale, MN
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2011 6:43 am    

There is a finger model Sho bud on eBay. I'm a beginner and I love my LDG. I'm thinking that I might like to have a D10 to grow into. Is this a guitar that makes sense for a beginner or would a Professional be a better choice - I'm kicking myself for not jumping on 'The Professional' just sold by Jerry Virden.

This is kind of like buying a guitar on "spec" - I'm ex-spec-ting(sorry) to grow into it.

Any thoughts?

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2011 7:00 am    

Thomas, The Fingertip is a great guitar. It is like any of them, if you want to play one, you will need to learn what makes them tick. Folks that do not like to "tinker" probably won't like to learn how the fingertip works. I love mine, that's all I play. Love the tone and love the mechanics. But I work on shobuds as well as build replacement parts and know how to make any of them stable. My fingertip stays in tune beautiful and perfect. But you will find folks who cuss them, too. If you do not like to "tinker", the fingertip may not be for you. I will help anyone with their guitar, so holler if I can help. Check out the link below:

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=127037
Ray Anderson

Jenkins, Kentucky USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2011 7:52 am     Finger Sho-Bud

Hello James, I've got a question for you, is removing the nylon tuners a major undertaking? I have some loose ones on my Pro111 and it causes some detuning and I would like to try and tighten them a little. Probably need to replace them, do you have these and how much? Thanks Confused Confused
James Morehead

Post  Posted 9 Jul 2011 8:01 am    

Ray, Shoot me an email at shobud"at"windstream.net

It's easy to swap out nylon tuners, and yes I sell them.

That's the cool thing about fingertips--no nylon tuners. Cool
Jerome Hawkes

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2011 8:42 am    

about the eBay fingertip

The good:
its an all original fingertip

the bad:
it's an all original fingertip

might as well have it drop shipped straight to James, that's the only way it will ever be playable. They should have named these "tinkertips".

Post  Posted 9 Jul 2011 9:04 am    

I just checked out that fingertip. It is identical to mine, right down to the 1/4" rope inlay. The 9th floor pedal is broken, and easily replaced. The price has come down quite a bit, and if you shoot the seller a reasonable offer, you may score a great fingertip here. I'd try to score it, and probably should, but I already have one just like it--and it's the finest Shobud I've had to date. I could have my choice, but prefer my 'tip. And I love mine just as it is----original.

I bet you could put a new set of Jagwire nichol strings on that ebay 'tip and play away. Eventually, do a refurb--clean it up. I could add a few knee levers, and you are good to go. Appears to have a lot of cig smoke/bar grunge underneath, but this guitar is an early fingertip, likely about a '63 at the earliest. In my estimation, this would be a great score--they ain't making any more of these, guys!! Some claim there were only about 100 fingertips made. Not sure about that, though.
John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2011 9:30 am    

"likely about a '63 at the earliest."

Yepper James! Offset 5th and 6th tuners, string ball ends for nut rollers, flatback bell cranks. '63. And a beauty!
JB