| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  R.I.P. JACK KONDORA, No man loved the steel more.
Billy Webb

Oroville, Cal. USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2011 3:32 pm    

It is with deep sadness and a heavy heart my best friend, Jack Kondora passed away at 4:00 AM.to day 05-24-2011. in a Fayettville AR. hospital Jack had surgery on Thursday for an aneurysm, I talked to him Fri.evening, and he said every thing went well. he sounded up beat. His son JACK Jr. called me this AM.and told me Jack was gone. What a blow!!!! Gone is another piece of steel guuitar history, Jack was playig pro. on the road when he was 14 yrs old and wasa staff steeler on the GRAND OLE OPRY when he was 17.Jack was a great stteel player, and an alaround true gentleman. Jack and I had some great playing time togather, which I will always treasure. He is the main reason I moved from Cal.too AR.(god speed my friend) "BILLY WEBB" OMAHA AR.
Bruce Wutzke

Marion, Iowa
Post  Posted 24 May 2011 6:12 pm    

I thank you for the phone call this afternoon and letting me know Billy.
This was a shock to me as well. I remember the wonderful times the three of us had playing music together from Arkansas to Texas. He was indeed a great steel player and a great friend.
Sam Lewis

Conway, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 24 May 2011 6:59 pm    

Jack Kondora has gone on but in my heart his memory will live forever. Jack was a very dear friend. We played steel together many, many times and in my mind, Jack was one of the greatest steel players, bar none, that I have ever heard. His knowledge of the steel guitar and music was far beyond any I have ever known. I'll miss Jack more than I can put into words. God speed, my very good friend.

Solon, Iowa, US
Post  Posted 25 May 2011 4:20 am    

This is depressing news.
Jack lived in Cedar Rapids, Iowa for many years. He and John Carter were two of my inspirations when I started playing steel. I'll never forget the time John sat in on guitar with Jack and played Rhodesbud Boogie.
Jack admired Chaulker and emulated much of his style. He will be missed.
Billy, I understand every word. Spelling isn't important. Thankyou for posting. My sympathy goes out to you and all of Jack's friends and relatives.
1976 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics 427 pickup, 1975 Birdseye U-12 MSA with Telonics X-12 pickup, Revelation preamp, Carbon Copy Delay and Hall Of Fame Reverb, Crown XLS 1002, 2- 15" Eminence Wheelhouse speakers, ShoBud Pedal, Effects Pedals. 1949 Epiphone D-8.
Bill Myrick

Pea Ridge, Ar. (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 May 2011 5:44 am    

I met Jack Through our Ozark Steel Guitar Association in Branson. He worked with us in putting out brochures, etc and was always a promoter of steel guitar. Had many nice conversations with him and had the pleasure of him setting in with us once at "Country Your Way" in Springdale. A very close friend of Jacks', Garnet Henderson of Springdale ,had him in his home prior to the last hospitalization. Garnet is a member of our band. We will all miss Jack very much.

Hank Ruf

Little Elm, Texas USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2011 6:18 am    

This is sad news. Jack was a good friend and a special person to me. I know he had some health issues the last few years but I do know he is in a better place now. He will be missed.
Norma Jean Lucas

siloam springs ar
Post  Posted 25 May 2011 8:52 am    

Bill, thanks for putting a face to Jack. I do remember the time he sat in with us at Country Your Way. A very nice guy. He always was going to try to make it to one of our steel meetings. My prayers go out to the family.
Michael McGee

Everton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2011 1:20 pm    

Jack was such a wonderful person. We got acquainted years ago, and from that point forward, we always made a point to have a good visit each time we reunited, usually at steel shows.

Godspeed my friend, and I look forward to our next visit.
Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2011 1:51 pm    

Who cares Nick, you're missing the context Mad
Scott Henderson

Camdenton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 25 May 2011 6:20 pm    

Jack and I first met in Siloam Springs. He always had a great story and a smiling face...I'll miss his emails too..
Such a sweet spirit...I'll miss him..
Frank Turner

Solon, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2011 4:46 am    

HI: will miss Jack, his jokes his music was a good friend. since we were young Frank Turner.
Eddie Lane

Branson, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2011 1:52 pm    

I met Jack back in the early eighties and we have been very close friends since. He was a true gentleman and had a wealth of knowledge about steel guitar. He was a good picker. It was a pleasure to have known him and I will miss him.

Eddie
Michael Breid

Eureka Springs, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jun 2011 10:40 am    

Jack was a good friend, and always encouraged me to keep practicing the pedal steel. I'll miss his warm handshake, and his sparkling smile. Always liked his version of Long Black Limousene. RIP my friend. Liven up the Heavenly band. Gee, Nick, I may have spelled limosene wrong. I hope you'll correct my spelling.
Billy Webb

Oroville, Cal. USA
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2011 7:35 pm     Re: R. I.P. Jack Kondora No man loved the steel more.

Jack requested, that their be no formal services. A celabration of Jacks life will be scheduled for later. I wish to thank every one, for the kind, and caring, response to this thread. (THANK YOU), Bruce & Janett W, Sam L, Dennis D, Bill M, ( Thanks, BIll for the picture) Hank R, Norma Jean L, Michael M, Kevin M, Scott H, Frank T, Eddie L, Michael B, Joe J, Roger O. Thank you folks, GOd Bless each and every one of you.
Sam Lewis

Conway, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2011 5:27 pm    

Bily, I visited with Jack's son and daughter-in-law. Jack, Jr and Ellen, Monday and Tuesday in Austin, TX
and I want to pass along to you, and all who have written such kind and gracious words about our good friend Jack, their sincere thanks. Doc Lee has promised to notify me when the celebration of life will be scheduled. I will be there and play if at all possible.

To Bill M., thanks so much for the pictures.

Oroville, Cal. USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2011 4:29 pm     Jack Kondora Memorial.

Thier is a memorial set for Jack on June 29th at five PM, at the senior center in Harrison AR.Everyone is welcome, please come and help us celibrate Jack's life.!!! Thank you, DOC LEE/ Billy Webb.
Michael Breid

Eureka Springs, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2011 9:01 pm    

Such a fine picture of Jack. Thanks so much Bill.
Bob Reed

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2011 8:42 am    

As promoter of the first Bob Wills Tribute in Mountain View, Arkansas I was in need of an exceptional steel guitarist. In visiting with Bruce Wutzke (Iowa) he told me, "The best steel guitar player in the country lives about an hour from you." I asked Bruce, "Who and where does he live?" Bruce then told me about Jack Kondora and his living in Harrison, Arkansas and gave me Jack's phone number. I called Jack and got him on the show, From the first time I met Jack I knew that he was a kind and gentle man, a man that I would hope to become good friends with, which I did. After I heard him tuning up and making a few runs before the show, I knew that Bruce had pegged Jack right: Jack was very good! I used Jack in some other shows, too. Hank Thompson in south Texas and Hank Thompson at the Jimmy Driftwood Barn in Mountain View, Arkansas. Jack came to see Lucy, my wife, and I, several months ago. A finer man I have never known, a better steel guitar player I will never hear. May God Be With You, Jack. (Bob 'Punjo' Reed & Lucy Jackson.)
Dan Sliter

Dardanelle,Arkansas
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2011 3:34 pm     R.I.P. Dear Friend

Jack and i was the best of friends i sat in his living room many hours playing the steel with him.
He will be missed so very much by lots of people.
R.I.P my Dear Friend