| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Peavey Raptor EPX
Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 17 May 2011 10:49 am    

This first paragraph is for Joey Ace or B0b I have tried to decide over and over where to put this silly little question. It doesn't amount to much but both of you guys know that I wouldn't ever post something in the wrong area on purpose. So guys if this doesn't belong here or doesn't belong any where on this board heck just trash it LOL!

OK here's my big query, has anyone had any experiences with Peavey's beginner line of cheap/inexpensive guitars? They are called "Peavey Raptor EPX" and they look nice on Peavey's web site and seem to have pretty good specs. You can buy one online from Peavey for 149.00 and probably cheaper from other vendors.

I have a 12 year old Nephew that I have kind of been teaching him beginners guitar through the Web mostly using "Face time" on our Macs. He's got a cheap little beginner gut string guitar that is so inappropriate for him to learn on. The neck is about 8 inches wide LOL and he has short little fingers. But even with his 10.00 pawn shop guitar the little cowboy is learning so fast and is so excited about learning and the little dude has some built in God given talent.

He is so into learning to pick that he has asked his Mom and Dad if he can come down here for 2 weeks this summer as soon as school gets out so we can be one on one instead of going to summer camp with all of his buddies.

So I want to surprise him with a good but inexpensive electric guitar because that's all he talks about. I have a nice little amp that is like new but I don't want to give him one of my 500.00 to 1500.00 guitars:-)

So if anyone has ever played one even if it was just at a music store. I'd like to know if the frets were polished and shaved down on the edges so it won't hurt his hands when he plays it. The sound isn't the most important thing right now I just want him to like the way it looks and the way it plays. We've all bought cheaper guitars and sometimes the frets have real sharp fret edges that hurt moving up and down the neck or uneven fret dressings that makes it hard to chord and play. So if anyone has any ideas let me know what you think.

Thanks for reading this long post that probably doesn't mean beans to you but if any of you have ever tried to teach an instrument to a very gifted student you know why I want to get him a decent guitar and get him off to a good start.

Bob Martin

http://www.peavey.com/products/instruments/electricguitars/raptor/index.cfm/item/105558/Raptor%28r%29%20Plus%20EXP%20Black.html

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2011 6:21 pm     Peavey Raptor EXP

I'll be honest with you, entry level guitars are not like they used to be when I started in the early '60's...............hard to fret and sounded crappy. Today's six string electrics are easy to play and sound really good, even in the beginner packs. I don't think that you can go wrong with the Peavey Raptor EXP. Believe me, I started on a Lindell guitar from TG&Y department store back in the '60's.

Mike Brown
Peavey USA
Bob Martin

Madison Tn
Post  Posted 18 May 2011 6:41 pm     Re: Peavey Raptor EXP

Mike Brown wrote:
I'll be honest with you, entry level guitars are not like they used to be when I started in the early '60's...............hard to fret and sounded crappy. Today's six string electrics are easy to play and sound really good, even in the beginner packs. I don't think that you can go wrong with the Peavey Raptor EXP. Believe me, I started on a Lindell guitar from TG&Y department store back in the '60's.

Mike Brown
Peavey USA

Thanks Mike, that's all the info I needed Smile Joey you are more than welcome to close this thread. If Mike Brown says this is a good starter guitar I'm satisfied.

I've always loved Peavey products and I'm sure now that my nephew will love this guitar!

Bob

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 19 May 2011 6:12 am     Raptor

Thanks!
Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 19 May 2011 8:54 am    

Mike is so correct. I wish we had such high-quality, easy-to-play beginner guitars back in the 1960's. The Peavey is good, so are the Squire (Fender) and Epiphone (Gibson) lines...great playing guitars.
Bob Vantine

Freeville, New York, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2011 10:12 pm    

The only thing with the PEAVEY guitars ( and probably anyone elses brand ) is the need to check out several to get *that extra good one* .

I have several of the PEAVEY GENERATION Tele style & have found some to have extremely sharpe fret ends when 1st played at store . I like inexpensive guitars , but still picky too .

The Fender Squiers are really nice also . I just was given a new Squier Tele that plays & sounds great . I can gig with it , then let my 4 & 7 yr old grandsons learn on it . It cost in the $ 150 range.
Peavey Guitars