| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ever seen this before?
Bruce Terrell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2011 5:00 pm    

My recently acquired '59 Gibson Console C-350 split down the middle when the old glue let go. My repair guy took the 2nd picture of some kind of fungus tree growing up through the middle of it that apparently forced the two sides apart. He said the glue they used looked like a water-based glue used on wooden boats back then. The "fungus tree" was evenly matched on both pieces and was solid. Ever seen anything like that?

Russ Wever

Kansas City
Post  Posted 26 May 2011 10:25 pm    

--> Click
Jason Hull

Post  Posted 27 May 2011 2:08 am    

I don't think the fungus "forced" the two sides apart; the glue joint failed. I've seen a fungus "eat" glue, causing the glue joint to fail. In your case the fungus seems to be isolated to the "tree". I would suspect that, either the glue joint wasn't that great to begin with, or it was exposed to moisture (causing both the glue joint failure and the fungus).

It's not difficult to fix, if you know what you are doing. Make sure it gets done right, and the glue joint will last another 50 years.
Bruce Terrell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2011 4:06 am    

Russ Wever wrote:
--> Click

HA! I think I know what song to work up for the band when I get my steel back. Perfect. Thanks.
Bruce Terrell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2011 4:09 am    

Jason Hull wrote:
I don't think the fungus "forced" the two sides apart; the glue joint failed. I've seen a fungus "eat" glue, causing the glue joint to fail. In your case the fungus seems to be isolated to the "tree". I would suspect that, either the glue joint wasn't that great to begin with, or it was exposed to moisture (causing both the glue joint failure and the fungus).

It's not difficult to fix, if you know what you are doing. Make sure it gets done right, and the glue joint will last another 50 years.

Hi Jason. This steel is taking some attention isn't it? I found a guy around the corner that did work for Danny Gatton and Joe Barden and seems to come highly recommended. He scraped it, clamped it w/hide glue and it seems to be in pretty good shape now. Fingers crossed.