| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Thanks To Ken & Brad- Great Info!
Mike Schwartzman

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2011 7:44 pm    

I fortunately bumped into a 1977 Session 400 at a good price last week and I was able to give it a nice cap job thanks to the fine info posted by Ken Fox and Brad Sarno here and other sites on the web as well. I've repaired and rebuilt my share of old point to point wired amps (Fenders, and many others), but I would have been pretty clueless if not for the shared knowledge on the Session 400 from you guys...I sincerely thank you. It sounds great!

One interesting thing that I noticed when checking it out. The reverb tank was hooked up, but lying totally loose in the cab bottom, and on further inspection I noticed that it was the wrong tank for that amp. So I have to order a replacement tank this week.

I had a broken (junked for parts)early 70's Peavey Std. 240 PA head lying around and took the tank from that and put it in the Session 400 just to hear if that tank sounded better than the wrong model Accutronics tank that was in there. It was a short 3 spring "Z configuration" OC Electronics tank that was labeled "Made by beautiful women in Canada". I'll tell ya...it's not too bad...dead quiet and it'll do until I get a proper replacement this coming week. Hopefully I won't smell smoke meanwhile.

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 26 May 2011 8:49 pm    

You shouldn't smell smoke. The reverb tank codes mostly have to do with the reverb time and number of springs. The only thing you want to pay attention to is input impedance of the tank - my guess is it is 8R. Worth double checking.