| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sara Jory Concert In Wilson NC
Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2004 7:38 pm    

I was in attendance at the concert last Tues night and I want to say the Sara Jory show was a total unique experience alone not to mention The opening band that later became her band for the concert. The warm up band consisted of Clyde Mattocks on Pedal Steel and 2nd lead guitar for Sara's portion of the show, Bill Lamm on Bass, Larry Villa on Lead Guitar, Drummer and Keyboard player's names are unknown at this writing but they were just as professional and capable as the rest of the band. They did a few toe tappers with some Western Swing thrown in for flavor and for the icing on the cake they did a version of Night Life that was as good as any version I have ever heard other than the Master himself; Ray Price and Buddy Emmons.

Sara opened the show with a pretty lively number and through out the show did some original stuff as well as some of our favs which included City Lights, Oklahoma Stomp, A Way To Survive and The Orange Blossom Special. The Orange Blossom Special was every bit as fast as Doug Jernigan's version if not faster. I didn't think Doug could be outdone for speed picking. She most certainly has a unique right hand technique as good as anybody I have ever heard. She even played acoustic guitar and played some stuff without the band. She even played bottle neck style on her electric lead guitar. To all the players and fans that could not see and hear her perform, you certainly missed a good one.

We had a good house full of steel players from Virgina, NC, Tenn, as well as SC for this event as well as a lot of people that were not players and musicians. I would say the show was a howling success.

I would like to thank Mr Bowie Martin for his promotional efforts that made this show possible. Even though this was not a Mid-Atlantic Steel Guitar Association sanctioned event, I would like to mention that Mr Glen Lanning, MASGA President and Mr Ken Latchum, MASGA Vice Prsident were there and presented Mr Bowie Martin with a special achievment award from the MASGA for his support of the Steel Guitar and bringing Sara here in concert for everyone to enjoy. This event could not have happened with out Mr Martin's efforts to make it happen. I beleive this event opened a few eyes to the world of steel guitar and it's many players and fans as well as a few that don't even know what or how that beautiful noise is made they keep hearing on their rado and tv sets.

Lets see if we can all get together and make this happen again...

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

[This message was edited by Kenny Dail on 02 September 2004 at 08:43 PM.]

Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2004 6:31 pm    

Come on MASGA members and PSG fans, surely someone else must have some comments on this once in a lifetime conert by this great artist. Lets have some input.

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2004 6:58 pm    

I wish I could have been there, Kenny!

I've long thought Sarah to be the very best player Britain has produced. A remarkable talent, and she's worked very hard to achieve the level she's reached.

A top-class steel player in any company!

RR
Ray Walker

Smithfield, NC, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2004 6:09 am    

Kenny I just got back from St Louis or I would have posted long before now. Sarah is an extrordinary player and performer, and anyone who had the opportunity to get out to see this show surely knows that. She is also one of the sweetest kindest people you will ever know. And let's not forget her sidekick Helen. Helen makes sure that Sarah is taken care of at all times and really works hard for Sarah. Now...the local band that backed Sarah was superb and I sicerely mean that. Here was a bunch of local boys who got together and made a great showing. I am as proud of these guys as I am of anyone...they did us locals real proud. Did anyone notice what a great time they were having...especially Clyde. Bill, you son of a gun I love ya brother...you were great. Bowie Martin worked his butt off and spent some bucks to bring this show to Wilson and I want to say...from the bottom of my heart... thanks Bowie. The award you received was a small token for such a big effort from you in giving so very much to the steel guitar community. You are appreciated my friend. With the proper support I know we can do it again. I know for a fact that Sarah had a great time and she would like to do this again. North Carolina made her feel welcomed and she certainly was. She told me that if she knew she was going to have this much fun she would have arrived sooner and said next year she would and would like to bring her whole band for a little fun and entertainment. I look forward to that a great deal. You will be happy to know that she did a great job in St Louis as well.

Ray Walker
Ken Latchum

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2004 6:54 am    

Kenny you are right! The Show was so good that it appears that no one can find the words to express. Sarah did a fantastic performance in all areas of playing the steel,the flat top guitar, and singing. I just hope she will be back again soon.

We don't want to forget Bowie Martin and all the hard work he did in promoting this event. Remember he did this out of the kindness of his heart and his love for the steel guitar. He sure didn't do all this work for MONEY because Bowie Takes $0 dollars for his effort. We want to Thank (Bill) of "Bill's Barbecue" and owner of the "Wilson Convention Center" for making the facilities available for this event.
I would drive another 250 miles round trip to see Sarah Jory perform again.
Thanks Bowie for all your work and effort to bring Sarah Jory to Wilson NC. so we could all enjoy a great show.

Ken Latchum
Vice President MASGA
Leslie Ledford

Gastonia, NC, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2004 5:35 pm    

I would just like to say, "Thanks, Bowie! for a job well done." The band that backed her up did a great job too. Sarah is unreal! I thought the greatest show on earth was with the Ringling Brothers, but I saw it in Wilson last week!
Bowie Martin

Wilson, NC USA 27896
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2004 4:40 pm    

Thanks so much to all of you that supported the show. Wilson (or this area) has never seen anything like it. I might mention this is the first time that Sarah has ever done "her show" without her band of 17 years. The band you are raving about played their first song with her at 10:45 that morning!! About half of material was material that was original or European, and new to them. The great drummer is Ken Dawson (of my Country Roads Band with Nancy and Tammy Dail) and Hog Wild Band; the keyboard player was the fantastic Jay Street of Raleigh, NC, who plays with Hog Wild band - I play with them also), and other fine groups. The band worked their butts off to put it off, but then Sarah worked as hard as anyone I have ever seen; lots of pressure on both, but it came off great. Those in the area are still talking about it!!! No one, but no one, enjoyed the show as much as I did...what great talents we had on the stage that night!