| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Who? - Young steel guitarist, Knoxville 1954'ish...
Ernie Middleton

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2016 7:44 am    

About 1954, when I was 6 years old and living in Maryville, Tennessee, a local 9 or 10 year old boy, got a lot of attention playing steel guitar. As I remember it, he was on television out of Knoxville a number of times, if not regularly. Does anybody know who that might have been?

That was probably my introduction to the steel guitar and many times I have wondered who he was and what became of him.

When I found The Steel Guitar Forum, I realized there was a good chance my curiosity might be satisfied. What a great resource and fascinating place to lurk and learn!
Freddie Wooton

London, ky
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2016 7:58 pm    

Stoney Stonecipher maybe?
Craig Baker

Eatonton, Georgia, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2016 9:40 pm    

Either Stoney or perhaps Herby Wallace.
Welcome to the forum Ernie.

Craig

Knoxville, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2016 10:04 am     television

Hey Guys, television came into being in 1953 here in Knoxville, and I graduated from High School in 1952. From about 54 to 56, there were three different tv shows that had a steel guitar player. I played with all three bands, one time or another, during those years. The other steel players were: Harvey Reynolds, Charlie Fingers or Frank Abbott. Frank didn't stay long with any of them before he moved to California. I followed him to some of the bands .So I was on one show,or the other at least once a week, and some times more. I was the first(and only one to covert to pedals, Harvey and Charlie did many years later). I wasn't 9 or 10, but between 16 and 18-but I was thin and skinny at about 120 pounds back then. So I won't take credit for being the youngster you were talking about, but I will say " IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN ME......
Stoney Stonecipher

Knoxville, TN (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2016 4:32 pm     television

I'd like to add one name to this thread, that I had forgotten , when I put my 1st comment on.. It was Eagle-Eye (Summy Lee)Hendricks. He was very small like a young boy, altho he was older. Don Gibson brought him to Knoxville from Carolina.He would have been in that 16 to 18 time frame also..his idol was Juaquin Murphy, and he was quit good at duplicating some of Murphys licks.