| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  F#s raise vs G#'s lower?
Rick Contino

Brattleboro, Vermont
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2011 10:03 am    

I have an old MSA that does both... G#s lower to G on 0 pedal and F#s raise to G on RKL.

I'm buying a Shobud Professional and want to get my copedent set for when I put on the new knee levers, and I'm torn between:
1. RKL lowering the G#s to G and
2. The same lever raising the F#s to G.

From my research on the forum it looks like most players prefer the latter. Any thoughts or advice for a novice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Eddie Freeman

Natchez Mississippi
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2011 10:46 am     F # to G

Rick, it will probably come down to personal preference. I have that change on LKV, as that gives
me a smooth transition from a pedals down major to a
major 7th, and I don't have to raise my leg off the floor to use my VK. I suggest you experiment till you find what's good for you
By the way, I worked on the Vermont Yankee nuke in your town back in the 7os. Do you know a steeler from Keen, David Lake? Lots of good musicians in your area....
Rick Contino

Brattleboro, Vermont
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2011 11:42 am    

That's a great idea putting the F# lower on the LKV. I mostly use the lever for the 7 with AB down too. James Morehead is going to make me the new knee levers for the professional and I'll have to ask if he makes LKVs. I was assuming I was limited to sideways knees on the original undercarriage, but that may not be the case.

As far as I know I'm the only steel player within an hour's drive from Brattleboro, but I could be wrong. I've only been here 5 years. I suspect there are a lot of steel players hiding out in their basements with their bands in a box around here. Cool It's been a long winter...
Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2011 12:59 pm    

I prefer the whole-step G#=>F# lower, which can be split with the B-pedal to get G#=>G. I think the whole-step lower works better in opposition to the E=>Eb lower - since my E=>Eb is on RKL, I put G#=>F# on LKR, but it would work fine on LKV also. Right now I have B=>Bb on LKV, but I've considered reversing those two changes.

I think it's mostly up to personal preference whether to approach this change via raise or lower, but the lower approach does give this easy split option to get both changes.

To split, you either need to have split tuning screws on the changer end or set up a separate pull to achieve that. If you search for split tuning on the forum or google (site:steelguitarforum.com "split tuning") you should find details on how to do this.

BTW - you're not the only steel player in the vicinity. Doug Beaumier is down in Northampton, MA area, Barry Hyman is just the NY side of Bennington. Tommy Cass is up in Baldwinville, right off Rt 2 between Athol and Gardner, MA. I imagine there are more. I moved away a long time ago, but most of my family is in the general area - Amherst up to Shelburne Falls, MA.
Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2011 1:49 pm    

Dave Mudgett wrote:
I prefer the whole-step G#=>F# lower, which can be split with the B-pedal to get G#=>G....

To split, you either need to have split tuning screws on the changer end or set up a separate pull to achieve that. If you search for split tuning on the forum or google (site:steelguitarforum.com "split tuning") you should find details on how to do this.

You might luck out and have the split just happen to be in tune (I love when that happens!). Another alternative is to install a Sho-Bud style feel stop for the G on the F# lower.
David Ellison

California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2011 12:46 pm    

I'm just curious... what would be the advantage of lowering the G# with a split tuning to get the G (with the pedals down) as opposed to raising the 1st string? Are there certain licks that become easier to play this way?

It would seem like you'd have more options for single string licks if that G note is on the first string... then you'd still have an A note (with the B pedal down) on the third string.
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2011 2:08 pm    

I'm with Dave on the G#-F# lower. One of my most-used changes.