| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  JBL Recones - Are They Worth It or Are Neos a Better Choice?
Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2011 6:50 am    

I know that sound is subjective, but I want some JBL tone from my Fender Twin. I have been looking for one or two JBL D120F or K120s. There are not a lot of these available from reliable sources, at affordable prices. There are several people who perform JBL reconing. All of the research I have done indicates that while some reconers do quality work, the materials used in aftermarket kits usually differ from those in JBL's factory 12" recone (E120) kit. The result is a noticeable difference from original JBL tone.

Does anyone have experience with JBLs that have been reconed with aftermarket kits? Are they worth considering, or is it best to be patient and stay the course?

Since several players claim that Neos by Weber and Eminence come really close to JBLs, I am also considering those. The weight reduction would be welcome, and theirs cost is lower than going prices for original JBLs and some recones. It is all about the tone, but price still has to be a factor.

-Jim-
Michael Robertson

Ventura, California. USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2011 7:34 am     Weber NeoMag 12”

Jim I have been dealing with the same dilemma for years.
I have had JBL’s rebuilt and the tone was different.
I don’t know if the vintage of the original speaker contributes to the sweet tone or not.
I do know that speakers have to “break-in” and a new rebuilt speaker will most likely sound different than the original cone kit.
I think I have found a very good replacement for my single 12” tube amps.
I run two of them in stereo and now they sound like I wanted. Great!
Weber NeoMag 12”
There are many models to choose from but I went with these and don’t regret it one bit.
For what it’s worth.
Michael

Pittsburgh Pa.
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2011 8:14 am    

I replaced the D series recones(Woodey Wendell)in my Vibroverb and my Deluxe with Jensen Neos and the only thing I miss is the weight.The JBLs sounded great but the weight especially in the Vibroverb was getting to be too much for me.
I also had a twin with the Jensens and was happy with that as well.
Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2011 9:27 am    

Michael - Thanks. I have heard the same about Weber NeoMags from others. Do they carry the highs similar to JBLs? Are your Weber cones doped or undoped?

Rich - Tone is subjective, but can you describe the sound of the JBLs vs. the Jensens? Ken Fox told me that he uses Jensen Neos in his 2 X 12 cabinets and really likes them.

One of my Fender blue labels needs to be replaced. I have been thinking about replacing it with a JBL type speaker and leaving the other blue label in to see if I like that combination. It has been suggested that I replace the second Fender speaker with a second JBL type or something like a Jensen Neo.

Thanks to both of y'all.

Last edited by Jim Cooley on 31 Mar 2011 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Olie Eshleman

Seattle, WA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2011 9:49 am    

from one of my employers who has been a JBL dealer for 30+ years: The D-120 and D-130 speakers have an especially narrow gap around the voice coil which gives them greater secondary harmonic distortion. Secondary harmonic distortion = balls. Although an after market kit will not perhaps sound as good as the original, it will not change the unique design characteristics.
that being said, i use a Jensen neo.........
Rich Gibson

Pittsburgh Pa.
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2011 2:40 pm    

Jim I honestly don't know if I could pass a blindfold test between the two.Tone is so subjective and amps sound different from room to room etc.
I just remember putting the neos in and going okay that sounds good.I'm happy. plus the amps are so much more manageable.2 JBL's in a twin would be more than I could handle.
I guess if I noticed anything is that the neos are a bit more defined...?
Michael Robertson

Ventura, California. USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2011 4:25 pm     No dope

Jim Cooley wrote:
Michael - Thanks. I have heard the same about Weber NeoMags from others. Do they carry the highs similar to JBLs? Are your Weber cones doped or undoped?

Highs are glassy and the lows are very nice as well.
No dope... Guitar set-up

Spokane
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2011 7:51 pm    

I'VE RECONED A JBL D-140 TO D-130 USING AN AFTERMARKET KIT AND AFTER A SHORT TIME OF "BURNING IN" IT SOUNDS AMAZINGLY "SWEET". I'M TOLD IT SOUNDS JUST GREAT. AND IT SURE MAKES MY TWIN REVERB SING.
Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2011 4:01 am    

Probably should mention the Weber California speakers also, which are a JBL D 120F or 130F knockoff of sorts. These are great speakers, but as heavy as the JBL's.
Lefty