| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Pedal Guitar Experiment...
Zane King

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 30 May 2011 10:57 am    

CAREFUL READING AND WHEN YOU HIT THE LINKS BE WARNED THIS IS NOT FOR TRADITIONAL STEEL GUITARISTS. Very Happy Very Happy

As many of you know, I am somewhat of creative type. Sometime ago, I shared my pedal guitar concept. At that time, it was simply a fretboard fitted to a steel guitar neck. While that can work I just did not find the desired results at all. Even 25 years ago when I just a teen I had Gene Fields build me a fretboard for my steel. Nothing ever caught on. Now....

My Dad (mostly him) and I have been working on a new prototype Pedal Guitar. I sincerely believe this is going to be a whole new instrument of sorts. My concept is fairly simple. Just take a standard guitar and then place it on a steel guitar body. Sounds easy enough right? Well, as you will see in the videos it can be done. This first model has 8 strings, 4 knee levers and 3 floor pedals. The tuning is a combination of my steel guitar tuning and a standard guitar tuning. I will share more of this later and some close up photos.

I can tell you the key for success will be the tuning concepts. I believe I have successfully designed a copedent that will allow steel guitarist and guitarist to excel quickly at this instrument. However, my primary motivation is to see new students attracted to this Pedal Guitar.

Basically, this is akin to a Pedal Steel Guitar, Standard Electric Guitar, and as you will see it really becomes a Slide Guitar very easily.

These presentations are after only 1 day of having this tuned up. I probably should take the time to practice and learn more but I'm just excited about the potential of this instrument that I couldn't help but share what I'm working on. I believe traditional Country will be great on this plus taking the slide will take it even to another place when played in that genre. Additionally, the Jazz side of this instrument will totally come to life with this 8 string tuning.

I call this "First Ride" because it was recorded on the day we tuned it up completely. I turned the camera on about a hour after working through some thoughts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRG2U05BGYo

This is Day 2. I took time to record this thru Pro Tools so you could see the tonal character of the instrument more. So fun!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz97VV2NQ6o

Enough of the Hard Rock sound....here is a cleaner version....this really shows some nice character...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHXi-reQbQ4

Last edited by Zane King on 1 Jun 2011 4:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Joe Rogers

Lake Charles, LA USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2011 11:53 am    

Zane,

Does the keyhead fold in to go in the case? Smile

Seriously, I really like what you have here.....especially the last video. Very cool tonal textures!!!

Joe Rogers
Zane King

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 30 May 2011 3:21 pm    

Joe - I will assume you are being funny about the keyhead folding! LOL! Oh we are a long ways away from thinking about a case for this thing. Actually, the ultimate design might be best with a keyless version that has fine tuners. You have likely seen those on standard guitars before.

Yes, the tonal character of this is certainly unique. It's not really a guitar, not a steel, not a standard lap/slide.....it's sort of a hybrid I guess.

I have only had about 2 hours now playing it since putting the strings on it. However, the jazzy/swing stuff I'm already finding is very sweet. The tone is just amazing.

ZK
Joe Rogers

Lake Charles, LA USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2011 6:25 pm    

Zane, you assumed correctly. ANYTIME you see a smiley face beside something I write, know to take it with a dose of humor. I rarely take myself seriously. LOL!!!!

I like the way you can fret this thing as well as play with the slide. Again, very cool tonal textures....!!!!
Will be interesting to see the evolution of this idea.

Joe Rogers
Dan Burnham

Greenfield, Tennessee
Post  Posted 30 May 2011 6:54 pm     Congrats

Zane,
Congrats to you and Johnny, an awesome instrument. So much potential and diversity. Keep up the good work,

Dan
Zane King

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 1 Jun 2011 4:32 am    

Thanks Dan! We are having a blast with it. I liken it a bit to the Franklin's experiment with the Pedal Dobro. Whenever you start messing around with a classic people raise their eyebrows just a bit. I recall stories by Zane Beck about how artists didn't want those pedal steel guitars in their band. That's how he came up with the knee lever.

There's a ton of music inside this thing! I can't wait for others to start digging into it. The fact that you can use it as a slide and a guitar to me really makes it useful in most music.

ZK