| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How do you do 1/2 "A" pedal and get it right?
Richard Keller

Deer Creek, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2011 4:51 pm    

How can you do a 1/2 "A" pedal and get the tone right? Do you have a half-stop in the pedal, or just guess at it?

I am also wondering if it is better to have more travel on the pedals so they push easier, or shorter travel and have the pedals push harder?

I have a hard time getting the pedals pushed all the way down on my MSA.
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2011 5:17 pm    

Richard, I don't claim to know the best way..I only know what I learned from Jeff Newman. He said for us to do it by feel(hearing) on the 1/2 A pedal. Get it close and it is usually good enough since most of the time it is a quick passing chord you are playing.

Of course in those days there were no half stops or lowering 5 string with a lever.

On today's guitars you can get the 5 and 10 string raise a half tone by raising a whole tone as usual with the A ped and then lowering it a half tone with your VKL(for example) But to get the note true you need to have a split tuner at the end of your changer.

You should try to find the best combination between pedal travel and ease of playing. Factory is best.
I remember my 1976 MSA Classic to have nice easy pedals and levers. Your MSA is a 1974. If you haven't already, maybe you should do a good cleaning and re-lubing of all the moving parts, especially the changer.
Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2011 5:41 pm    

Definitely an "ear" thing. On many guitars the "half" pedal sound seems to be more of quarter of the pedal throw, to me.
Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2011 8:01 pm    

yep. definitely a "feel" and "ear" thing. A feel stop should never be on an A pedal. Of course, it helps to have a pedal action with a good "feel" Smile
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2011 9:02 pm    

Depending upon what strings you're hitting, you could also drop back one fret, use your A pedal (full, not half pedal) and raise your E strings 1/2 step with your KL. (If you're using the 6th string too, then raise that 1/2 step too with your B pedal). This will have the same effect as staying put and half-pedaling A (but you'll still need to watch your intonation). Try it with strings 8,6,5,4.
Dave Stewart

Pensacola
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2011 10:32 pm     How to Raise A Pedal 1/2 Tone

Hi Richard,

The way to raise the A pedal 1/2 tone and get the tone right each time is to raise and not lower the pedal. Start with no pedal and then gradually press the A pedal until your ears say ok. Here is my recording of "Danny Boy." At 0:46, 1:37, 2:45, 3:37 in the video I press the A pedal only 1/2 way...

DANNY BOY

At 1:37 in the video, on the 8th fret, I pick strings 4,5,6 and press the A pedal 1/2 tone. This gives me an augmented chord. I hold my foot on pedal A at the halfway position and then slide up 4 frets to fret 12, then 16, and finally the 20th fret. Augmented chords repeat every 4 frets and diminished every 3 frets.

There's some nice tabs for "Londonerry Aire" (same as Danny Boy) tabbed out by Buddy Emmons in Scotty's "Anthology of Pedal Steel Guitar" (book one). On page 93, you'll see that Buddy raises pedal A 1/2 tone. I highly recommend the book for its wealthy of steel guitar tabs, photos, instruction, et cetera. It's "THE" book in my opinion that every new pedal steel guitar player should have. "Bars Of Steel" by Lloyd Green is also tabbed out, and a nice arrangement of "Greensleeves."

Kindest regards,
David
Richard Keller

Deer Creek, Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2011 6:25 pm    

I want to thank everyone for their input.
I'm gonna keep working at it.
Per Berner

Skovde, Sweden
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2011 12:23 am    

I have always set my A pedal a little higher than the B pedal. When the A-pedal gets depressed down to the same height as the B pedal, that's the halfway point. (I keep my foot over both A and B pedals, and if I need to continue to full A pedal only, I just twist my ankle to avoid depressing the B pedal.)

I rely mainly on my ears to get it right, though.
Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2011 5:33 am    

Its easier to raise a half from no pedal. It sounds better than trying to use the vertical instead. Lowering from full to half A is trickier, especially if not down on pedal B too. I use LKV when lowering, thats why its there. Practice by ear. You want the A pedal with no half stop, since this would interfere in its normal use with B. Also, strings 10 and 5 do not raise at exactly the same rate, so you often need to choose one string or the other but not both in the grip when raising A half. This is one advantage to lowering with the LKV since it is tuned more precisely on both strings.

Clete
Josh Yenne

Sonoma California
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2011 5:02 pm    

pray

Laughing
Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2011 10:46 am    

In a word, practice. It's a feel thing and you have to know your guitar.
Bill Moran

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2011 5:19 pm    

I agree Johnny. Some guitars are are easy. The 1/2 pedal is a fun move. I get it about 95% of the time.
The piano player can't get it anytime !
Johnny, Have you given up the truck'in thing ?
I hope so. Your too good of a steel player to be shift'in gears. Hope I can quit someday.

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2011 6:15 pm    

Unless you're trying to play a minor chord, you probably wouldn't need your foot on the B pedal, so It may or may not help to put your foot over the A pedal and your heel solidly on the floor when you attempt this. That's what I do, and it's starting to come together after 39 years.

Incidentally, I learned that there was such an animal as a half pedal years ago from an article in, maybe "Guitar Player Magazine", wherein Buddy mentioned it. News to me at the time.
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville
Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2011 7:15 pm    

Bill, I am not driving for a living due to a health past issue that prevents me from getting a DOT medical certificate. If I could get the medical I would be though. Not that I don't enjoy playing, I just enjoy making three times the money driving other musicians. I am currently playing for Gene Watson and working part time for MSA.