| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender 400 pedal
Carl McLaughlin

St.Stephen,New Brunswick,Can
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2011 12:59 pm    

Am looking for a fender 400 pedal in good shape and resonable price,,???Anyone???
CARL Smile
I have a Tele plus telecaster, Larrivee acoustic. Also have a Fender resonator guitar with new Quarterman cone and spider, and an Allan tailpiece .Playing through a Fender Super Champ XD, using a little delay on the amp and a Harmonix Holy Grail Echo pedal, set on Hall turned to about 1pm.Just Bought a Yamaha FGX5 Recently and love it. Recently got a Sho-NUFF 6 string pedal steel in open G.Still learning.
Ethan Shaw

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2011 3:12 pm    

Head's up: before you send someone money, make sure it's the right one--the later, black kind, or the earlier silver one.
Carl McLaughlin

Post  Posted 28 Feb 2011 3:55 pm     fender 400

What are the differences??.A friend of mine had one ,i don't know which one but he said carry lots of extra strings as they break a lot unless they have had an upgrade.Any comments??.Thanks for the reply.
Carl Confused
I have a Tele plus telecaster, Larrivee acoustic. Also have a Fender resonator guitar with new Quarterman cone and spider, and an Allan tailpiece .Playing through a Fender Super Champ XD, using a little delay on the amp and a Harmonix Holy Grail Echo pedal, set on Hall turned to about 1pm.Just Bought a Yamaha FGX5 Recently and love it. Recently got a Sho-NUFF 6 string pedal steel in open G.Still learning.
Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2011 4:31 pm    

FYI, there were actually three versions of the early silver pedals -- two stamped, and one cast.

The first version was stamped without the slip of spring steel to retain the pedal rod.
Then came the stamped pedal with the spring steel retainer.
Then came a CAST pedal that looks like the stamped pedal except it has a tread piece screwed onto the toe.

Here is the second stamped version and the third, very rare cast pedal version. The cast pedal is cast aluminum.

Carl McLaughlin

Post  Posted 28 Feb 2011 5:38 pm     fender 400

Thanks for the info guys.What year did the later black models start???
Carl
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2011 7:12 pm    

Carl, are you looking for a guitar or just a pedal?
Jerry
Chris Lucker

Los Angeles, California USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2011 8:58 pm     Re: fender 400

Carl McLaughlin wrote:
Thanks for the info guys.What year did the later black models start???
Carl

I do not know for sure, but I have only seen the cast pedasl I showed above, and the black cast pedals, in the black Fender case Era. Is that 1963 onward?
Ethan Shaw

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2011 6:50 am    

Yes. From what I understand, black pedals started in 1963. Jim Sliff knows for sure.
Ethan Shaw

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2011 6:54 am    

Re-reading this, I see what Jerry was asking-- Are you looking for an actual pedal, or the whole guitar?
Carl McLaughlin

Post  Posted 1 Mar 2011 8:14 am     400

Hey guys, thanks again, i'm looking for the guitar,and want to find one that has been upgraded.As i said my friend sais they were very pron to string breakage.
Carl Smile
Ethan Shaw

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2011 12:05 pm    

the early (silver pedal) ones ARE prone to string breakage (but might sound slightly better, to my taste). (I have both). The later, black pedal ones do not have a breakage problem, and you can get almost the same sound. Basil has posted some good clips of his later, short-scale Fender.
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 1 Mar 2011 2:42 pm    

Carl, the store where I teach has a Fender 400 guitar with the bridge missing. Please let me know if you are still looking. I can check on this one for a price and maybe someone one the forum might have a bridge.
Jerry
Carl McLaughlin

Post  Posted 1 Mar 2011 3:28 pm     400

Which model is the one in your store?and what kind of price??,any other parts missing??
Carl Smile
Tommy Everette

Whitakers, NC
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2011 8:22 am     Ok

THX

Last edited by Tommy Everette on 2 Mar 2011 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Carl McLaughlin

Post  Posted 2 Mar 2011 10:23 am     400

No thanks too big and heavy for me.I prefer a single neck..
Carl
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2011 3:34 pm    

Carl, he told me $600.00. It has chrome pedals. I believe everything is there except the bridge. I have not seen the case. If you are interested I can take some photos for you.
Jerry
Tommy Everette

Whitakers, NC
Post  Posted 14 Mar 2011 3:07 pm    

found one yet?