| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  evans amp
Dave Flanagan

Mt. Vernon,Il.
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2010 7:20 am    

OK can someone tell me about the ah200 5# amp that evans has and what they think about the sound of a steel thought it ( compare to nashville 400 or nashville 112 and/or stero steel Question
baxter vaughan

Lubbock, Texas 79424
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2010 4:40 am    

dave i have the se200; which has the same circuitry. i hove it. it could have less high and more bottom for my taste, but overall a very good rig. for the nash 400 or 112 to compete with it, they would have to have the mods installed. i have the walker stereo steel as well. it combines the best of both peavey and evens. awesome sounding rig.
Ronald Sikes

Corsicana, Tx
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2010 12:13 pm     Ah200

I have a SE200 and the AH200 . I really like the sound of the AH200 and it has plenty of power . I'm runnig it with a Peavey TransTubefex into two Tommy Huff speaker cabs . One's loaded with a JBL D130 and the other with a JBL K130 .
Show Pro #26 & #83,BJS bars,Stereo Steel,Tommy Huff cabs loaded with JBL D130's, Wampler pedals,NV112,NV400, Steelers Choice Seats
Buck Grantham R.I.P.

Denham Springs, LA. USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2010 8:39 pm     Ah200

I am using a AH200 amp with 2 15inch speakers especially built for Evans. It took me a while to find the sound I wanted but I am real pleased with it now. I can get enough lows to rattle the windows. I have had a lot of compliments on the tone with it hooked to my G2 Mullen D10. It sounds great with a telecaster Fender too. I highly recomend it . 200 watts of power,and I can pick it up real easy. Buck Grantham Smile Smile

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2010 2:25 am    

Since the SE200 has the same preamp, I had an SE200 and didn't like it. Even with the highs at 0 it was too much. I sold it and got a Nashville 1000, which was almost twice as heavy but much better, to me, sound.
Lana Carroll

Brooklyn, NY
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2011 10:32 am     difference between the hybrid and the solid state?

Hi All,

I was wondering, with the AH 200, how do the Hybrid and the Solid State versions compare? I am a big fan of Evans amps so I am sure they both sound amazing.

The Hybrid, does it have all the headroom you need? Does it sound tube-y?

thanks,
elana

Dresden, Tennessee, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2011 7:07 pm     AH200 Hybrid

I have the last AH200 Hybrid that was built and I think it's sold I will know tomorrow, but I also have the Last SE200W Hybrid made it's on the shelf ready for delivery, I sell the Evans Amps and Speakers I've got the AH200 Solid State in stock like the one that Buck Grantham has and David Hartley uses it also, which several other Professionals are using.
He did not have a lot of calls for the Tube Amps so he quit making them, all of them now are Solid State and believe me has plenty of power to carry two 8ohms 15" speakers with no problem. Good highs and Lows just have to find the sweet spot like Buck discussed above.
Steven Finley

California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2011 8:43 am    

The Evans amp is the best amp ever
built for steel guitar in my book.
I have had every thing on the market
even a webb,but dollar for dollar
pound for pound and tone and power
hard to top Evans.
Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 15 Feb 2011 12:56 pm    

Like Buck said, it takes some time to dial it in, but when you do, hold on.
Michael Pierce

Madison, CT
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2011 9:49 am    

I have an older (1998) AE200 head (I've been told the AE stands for Archtop Electric), which sounds terrific, especially for jazz guitar. For anyone in the NY area, there's an AH200 currently listed on Craigslist (look under Fairfield County). It's been on and off the list for quite a while, so the owner may be willing to negotiate off the price a bit.
David Hartley

Post  Posted 18 Feb 2011 10:14 pm     Re: evans amp

Dave Flanagan wrote:
OK can someone tell me about the ah200 5# amp that evans has and what they think about the sound of a steel thought it ( compare to nashville 400 or nashville 112 and/or stero steel Question

Dave Flanagan. I will answer your question honestly with my opinions.

It is an excellent, lightweight, easy to set up rig, that, as everyone has said, does take some getting used to, but when you have the sound, it's good. Make a note of the settings exactly as knobs get turned when putting it in and out of the soft bag. If a setting is 8 1/2 make sure you dial in exactly as every 1/2 counts. To continue.... It will save your back from pain. My back has had it, and it is without a doubt the manual work I have done all my life and carting session 500 and steel guitars too that has damaged it. The Evans rig is VERY light and I have been able to continue playing because of this amp and using a shobud pro 1 to play at gigs. Bill Stroud supplied both these items for me. I had to give up a manual job as an engineer and work in an office because of my back. NOW, ...... that's a warning I suppose to steel players, look after your back.
To conclude, and answer your question honestly, the Nashville 400 is a better combo amp. And the Nashville 400 is the best of the peavey amps of the PSG range in my opinion. I won't go into reasons why 112, 500, 1000 dont make the top choice for me personally as they are all good, dedicated PSG amp combos that PV have designed.
I have purposely SOLD my peavey equipment and got it out of the house. The ONLY reason for this is.........if it was still here in my possession, I would be tempted to try and load it in the car when I have gigs as it is better than the Evans. Then I would end up probably hospitalised having back surgery.
Yesterday, I visited Mark Dunn who is the steel mixer man. We discussed amps. It was VERY interesting what information he gave me about amps, steel guitar signals, volume pedals, wattage, speaker sensitivity, and more importantly, the specifications that amp manufacturers quote on their paperwork. I learned a lot.

Final Score . . .

Evans 8/10
Nash 400. 9/10

My opinions only....

David.

PS. Your Nash 400 or session 500 speakers will need checking at some point.
The foam pad deteriorates after many years which is located behind the gauze mesh in the hole on the back of the speaker magnet. This turns into a sort of gluey gunge that clogs up the slot in the magnet that then restricts the black widows speaker cone movement causing loss of sound output and distortion and generally a bad sound. I have had this happen on all of the black widow speakers. It's not too bad to fix and it only has to be done once in a lifetime but don't use metal tools!

I am sure there is information on the forum on how to check and rectify this problem too.

OK. I am getting up now, it's now 6.00am. i have some recording to do and the NEW steel mixer to play with, with the Dobro setting on it now......

See you all in the big D.....

Very Happy
Bill Stroud

Post  Posted 19 Feb 2011 10:41 am     AH200 Evans Amps

I will be bringing a couple of AH200 amps and SES 15" Evans Speakers to the Dallas show also the last SE200 Hybrid tube Amp that he made if someone would like to test it out.
See you all in Dallas.
Ron Epperson

Riverside,Calif. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2011 12:58 pm    

can somone tell me the settings u use for your evans fet500
Fred Rushing

Odin, IL, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2011 2:10 pm     Ah200

Go for it Dave it is your sound.HIGHS THAT CAN CUT THROUGH A HUM VEE!!!!!!!

Man its hot here!
Fred
Gregg Laiben

Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2011 4:08 pm    

I just got the last AH200 Hybrid from Bill this morning and obviously still dialing it in. Have been using an NV112 and the AH200 at first blush doesn't seem to have the low end, although the longer it was turned on the better it sounded. I think I will let it burn in for a couple of days. Got the matching 15 Evans cab too. Just like David remarked - if it's just nearly as good as the Peavey, I am sticking with it - the weight factor is unbelievable. I drive an Audi TTS hatchback that makes loading awkward heavy items difficult. I love it already for that feature alone!

David - can you share your settings for the Evans?

...gregg
David Hartley

Post  Posted 20 Feb 2011 2:23 am     My Setting on the AH200

If you look at this at around 1m 30secs there is a close up of the settings on my amp head. If you need a photo I will get one as soon as I can but I think it's clear enough on the video if you pause it and write the settings down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-8UlcXnrTs

Please note the depth control position and the expand switch position too.
I very rarely alter anything from gig to gig, just volume and reverb. It's the same settings for the Rains and the Shobud too.
Gregg Laiben

Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 20 Feb 2011 2:03 pm    

Thanks - perfect edit on the vid!
Bill Stroud

Post  Posted 22 Feb 2011 10:04 am     Tht

TTT I'kll be bringing a couple of these to Dallas, with the SES200 SPeakers....check them out