| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Listen to this!!! Great vocals and steel.
Duane Becker

Elk,Wa 99009 USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2011 8:00 am    

This is a friend of mine, Joel Johnston and his dad Jerry using power tracks, similar to band in a box. The vocal is Joel and Jerry is playing steel. What do you think? Comments please...

http://picosong.com/4c4
Matthew Warman

here and now
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2011 11:38 am    

Hi Duane- IMHO the overall music , vocals and the steel playing is fine; I think the lyrics are a bit of a cliche, but that's how these type of C&W songs go! thanks for sharing it with us:)

Last edited by Matthew Warman on 17 Feb 2011 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Kelly Hydorn

Spokane
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2011 12:34 pm    

Smile Smile I like it, the song has all you need for a good "Country" song. Maybe just a tad more steel guitar would be nice. Smile Smile
Will Bartell

Medford, Oregon USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2011 8:27 pm    

Hey Duane, one of my biggest regrets about the demise of the short-lived Northwest Steel Guitar Association was not getting to see Joel sing again. I think he is a GREAT singer, and I think his dad's steel work on this song is very tasteful, original, and appropriate for the tune. Thanks for posting!

Farmington, NM, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2011 9:04 pm     Song by Joel & Jerry

Duane, That's about the best version of that song I've ever heard. I've always wished I could have been part of a band that that used dynamicks. I think it is so good. Joel & jerry do a fantastic job. John
David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2011 3:36 am    

Joel was here in dallas not long ago, he came out to my gig and sat in, what a great singer!!!! he spent the night with us, and we played more at the house, I've had the honer of knowing Joel for some years now, a nicer guy you'll never meet,and a GREAT singer!!! I always give him a hard time, but only cause I like him Very Happy

Great Job Joel, and Jerry!!!.and thanks Duane for posting this....
Joel Johnston

Mead, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 19 Feb 2011 9:30 am     Thanks to all

Thanks to Duane for posting the tune and thanks to everyone for their nice comments.
Will - Duane and I were talking about trying to put a mini-jam together again if we could gather enough interest from PacNW players, we will have to stay in touch.
Kelly - I will do a remix and BOOST the steel. I agree - it can never be "up front" enough!
John - This has always been one of my favorite J-Rod songs, but I loved Barbara Fairchild's interpretation and kind of followed her style on this version. I agree with Matthew - "Country Cliche" is where it's at!
And to my Big Bro David - Thanks for your hospitality on my last visit. We'll have to do that again soon. I would travel far and wide to play music with you Brutha!
Joel Very Happy