| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Country Music Awards tonight, who's watching?
Billy Woo

Los Angeles, CA, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2004 9:24 am    

My former steel teacher and good friend, John Mclung just left for Vegas to see the "Big Show" tonight. Just wondering if any Y'all gonna watch it tonight. Toby Keith, Alan Jackson, Brad Paisley etc. it should be a good show. Please no 'Flames'..

Bronco Billy
Zumsteel U-12
Bill Waskiewicz

Deerfield Beach, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2004 9:39 am    

Billy:
I will give a look tonight at eight.
Thanks for the reminder, Bill W.
Billy Woo

Los Angeles, CA, USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2004 9:42 am    

Wow I can't believe that (2) people watched the CMA last night, personally I thought Alan Jackson was the best, very pleased that Toby Keith finally got recognition long over due and Martina winning the Humanitarian award was a nice Kudo. I tried to see who the steel players were but could'nt make them out let alone what they were playing. Reba looked pretty good although some of her jokes were a bit weird..

Bronco Billy
Blake Hawkins

Florida
Post  Posted 27 May 2004 2:08 pm    

Reba was a class act as always. You could tell that she was uncomfortable with parts of the script.
It's a case of the writers not understanding
the person who is to deliver the lines.
With a Reba's talent in hand they could have done a much better job.

Blake
Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 27 May 2004 5:26 pm    

I watched, really enjoyed Alan Jackson with the nice steel ride in the middle. Also heard some nice steel in Sarah Evan's tune... The Brad Paisley duet with Allison Krause and the dobro was nice too. Wish they had given Ray Price a little more recognition, maybe he wasn't able to walk up onto the stage.
John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2004 7:36 pm    

Here's my report from the live event: it was great!
I was amazed at how fast the stage crew was able to set up and break down bands, and how good everything sounded. I still wonder how much of it was live, I'll have to ask Gary Morse, who played in one of the bands (Sara Evans? Not sure, it all blurs in memory, but it wasn't Dierks Bentley who only presented). It's quite possible the tracks and maybe even the vocals were pre-recorded, believe it or not it's really hard to tell in a venue that large with huge sound systems. Steels weren't featured enough, imho, even the nice Alan Jackson "Remember When" ride only made it on TV halfway through the solo, grrr I hate when that happens.

For my and friend Sherry the best moments were Gretchen Wilson kicking butt on "Redneck Woman", and oddly enough, Tim McGraw doing "Living Like You're Dying," that was a great, touching song, and really done well by Tim. Any of you who've lost your Dad will understand.

In an LA Times report on it, they pointed out something I'd completely not noticed: there were only 11 awards given out, they've merged some awards (just one new artist, not one per gender), and I guess pre-announced lots more awards, in order to have more performance time for TV. While I did enjoy the almost non-stop music by top artists, I always did enjoy seeing producers and songwriters get their public due in past shows. Maybe it was CMA that did that. Anyway, music ruled over acknowledgements. Paul Franklin was steel player of the year, but that was published on the ACM website, not announced at the show. You deserve better, Paul, and all the great pickers who won this year!!!