| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender History
Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2011 10:15 am    

...anyone know the manufacturer of the Dual Pro. and early (26") Stringmaster tuning machines.
Surely they would not design them this way today. The soldering is too time consuming.

Many thanks
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2011 1:24 pm    

I always assumed that Fender soldered them in the factory. Yes, those tuners were a pain in the neck. There was no way to remove the tuners from the pan without "unsoldering" them. Oh Well
Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2011 6:46 pm    

Quote:
I always assumed that Fender soldered them in the factory.
Yes Doug, I would assume that the Fender people did solder the tuning machines to the tuner pan.
It would surprise me if they actually made the machines. My guess is that they were outsourced.

The tuner buttons will release with a common soldering iron; but one must get the pan very hot to release and resolder them back to the pan.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2011 7:13 pm    

I guess Leo liked using solder. He even soldered the cables in his pedal steels from 1958 through the 1960s!
Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2011 7:46 pm    

Rick Collins wrote:

The tuner buttons will release with a common soldering iron; but one must get the pan very hot to release and resolder them back to the pan.

So it is possible to repair old Fenders?
Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2011 9:49 pm    

Earnest, too much play in the vertical shaft, on which the worm gear is mounted, causing an improper mesh with the pinion gear is the principal reason these old tuners begin to wear.
Instead of being formed from one piece, with two 90 degree bends (like most tuners) to hold the vertical shaft, these old tuner bodies are made from three pieces.
They have little tabs affixed to the plate that work loose, causing the vertical play.

With a string off, pull up and down on the tuner button. On worn ones, you can detect the vertical movement.

Try to find a mandolin set with the distance from the horizontal shaft to vertical shaft as close to the old tuner as possible. Cut it from the set.
If you must elongate the hole of the vertical shaft in the pan, it wont be noticable.

You probably will have to fit the Fender horizontal shaft (on which you wind the string) to the new pinion gear.

Solder the tuner body you have cut from the mandolin set to the pan __ and use the mandolin gears, of course.

Remove the button from the mandolin set and solder the round Fender button on.

With some grinding and filing they will work, if you find a mandolin set reasonably close to the Fender dimensions.
Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2011 8:22 am    

Jody Carver might know the answer.
...anyone know how to get in touch with him?