| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  2 pickup options?
Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2011 11:06 am    

I had Jerry Blanton build a two pickup steel for me in the late 70's,I am in the process of putting it back together...I like Dan Tyack's sound a lot I was wondering if someone could recommend which pickups to get,the guitar has a volume ,and tone pot that can be rewired,it also has a three way toggle switch that can be used,Thanks Stu

Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Brian McGaughey

Orcas Island, WA USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2011 8:40 pm    

Hey Stu,

I'm no expert but I can render an opinion with the best of 'em!

I think it'd be cool to try a GeorgeLs 10-5. I think this is similar to the Emmons Pentad p/u. It comes with a 5 position switch 5 different settings. It could be wired to run alone or with your "bridge" p/u. I assume it has 2 s/c and 2 h/b positions
Lookie here
I'm working on something like your setup myself. Considering a TrueTone s/c low and a GeorgeLs 10-5 up above.

Maybe Dan'll check in.
Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2011 5:00 pm     2 PUs

Hi Stu....I'm just in the process of mounting a Wallace Truetone and a Hoffnar Tonealigner on my 1982 Green Sho-Bud at the Kauai studio. My old Bill Lawrence 710 has been developing upper register echo-tones so it's got to go!.Also picked up one of Wolfgang's 1/2 stops for it....We're opening for Asleep at the Wheel tomorrow nite..so I'll wait until Thursday to pull it apart...Cya in the spring!.Larry
Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 1 Feb 2011 5:10 pm    

Larry,I'd like to see Wolfgang's 1/2 stop...Tell Ray Benson hi for me.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.
Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 1 Feb 2011 5:11 pm    

Larry,I'd like to see Wolfgang's 1/2 stop...Tell Ray Benson hi for me.
Stu Schulman

Post  Posted 1 Feb 2011 5:12 pm    

Hey Brian,let me know how those pickups work out,hopefully I will have it back together in about a month?keep it touch. Winking
Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2011 5:29 pm     2 PUs

STU....If the 1/2 stops works better that the ones Duane Marrs sent me (that I added heavier springs to) I'll get another for the 83 Sho-Bud in Anchorage....(I was hoping I could drop your name to Ray and the boys..!)..Thanks, Larry