| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  C6 question
Steven Dingle

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2011 8:07 pm    

Hi all

I'm thinking about trying out C6 and having my friend Fred Justice build me a custom C6 in a SD configuration. As I look at copedents, it would seem to me that I could use knee levers in place of pedals, as every copedent I have seen uses pedals 4 - 8 on a D10 set up. Does anyone have any experience with a single neck C6 and how such a copedent would be set up? Thanks!
Edward Meisse

Santa Rosa, California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2011 4:01 pm    

I have an S10 C6. But it's a 5 and 5. I use an Emmons setup with an extra knee lever added to lower the 5th string to an F. I find that I almost never use pedal one. And I think most people could do very well without the A to Ab lever as well. But I need it for the jazz age music I play.

California/Thailand
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2011 11:37 pm    

The beauty of a single neck C6th (or B6th which I use) is you can comfortably load it up with pedals and knees if you wish without having to share the undercarrage space with another neck full of pedals and knees. And also the fact that if you take a single neck C6th to every gig and jam session for a few years you'll become a C6th player and not just a wishfull thinker. 0% of the audiance members will ever know or care what the tuning is called. They love the sound and that's all they care about. People usally enjoy my playing and nobody has ever said to me, "I sure wish you were playing E9 instead." I have heard people say they have never heard anyone play like that before just because I was using big, bold chords not found on the E9 neck. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting the E9 neck isn't beautiful. I'm just saying the C6 neck is a ton of fun and it boggles my mind to hear people call it the arm rest or whatever. How refriggin'diculous to haul around a D10 and not ever use the C neck. Excuse my little rant. BTW, Why a Single Double and not just Single neck? What do you need all the extra weight and size for? Minimize, my brother
To answer your question, just copy Buddy Emmons' C6th tuning to begin with. Thanks, Don
Bobby Snell

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2011 11:59 pm    

Some folks find the SD more comfortable.

Steven, I'm guessing you are trying to fit the tuning to a 3-pedal, 4 or more knee guitar. Just a matter of understanding how to use the C6 combinations.

The 5- and 6- pedal get used together a lot, so you wouldn't want them on the same knee. Actually, the number of pulls on the 5-pedal would probably suit leaving it a pedal, along with the 8-pedal.

Another question is D or G on top? With the D, it's useful to have a lever raising the C-C# on the third string.

But before all the mental gymnastics, I would think 5 pedals and 4 knees would be a great C6 guitar. As long as its gonna be custom-made...
CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2011 2:56 am    

i helped a steeler here get a C6 SD10 based on the standard C6 set up
which would be Buddy E's set up
the standard pedals 5 6 7 & 8 are required
replacing the funktion of the standard change on P4 is an interesting option
as to the levers, as standards, you'll need
the 3rd string half tone lower : C to B
the 3rd string half tone raise : C to C#
the 4th string (& 8 option)half tone raise : A to Bb

as for options :
half tone lower on 2 & 6 : E to Eb
whole tone lower on 5 : G to F
half tone lower on 4 (& 8 option) : A to Ab
Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 16 Jan 2011 3:08 pm    

I have both pedal 7 & 8 on knee levers. I guess I have pedal 4 on a knee too, but only the 4th string and it half stops at Bb. Also, my C6th pedals are 5-9

Tab:

LKL  LKV   LKR  5   6    7    8    9   RKL   RKR

D                                  D#
E                    D#       F
C         D                                  B     D
A         Bb   Bb/B                                B
G                        F#        F
E                    F        D#        D
C    C#                                 B
A                                       G
F    E                   F#
C    A                   D

This works great for me.
Carter D10 8p/8k, Dekley S10 3p/4k C6 setup,Regal RD40 Dobro, Recording King Professional Dobro, NV400, NV112,Ibanez Gio guitar, Epiphone SG Special (open D slide guitar) . Playing for 54 years and still counting.