| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons P/P changer question? (Strings slipping)
Brandon Bankes

Zanesville, Ohio
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2011 4:42 pm    

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your help on that last topic I had on here. I really appreciated each one of your remarks and valued the time you spent on trying to help me out.

So I just changed strings on my '74 Emmons last night and put the Buddy Emmons signature set on for the first time. Halfway through playing I heard a real strange noise and realized a string had (literally) slipped down into the crevice of the changer itself and was buzzing against my pickup. I'm talking about where the string rests. I've never had this happen before.. and sure enough, 10 minutes later another one did it.

After detuning, I realized this wasn't gonna work. It seems like the changer crevice is eating my string when the tension is adjusted to pitch!

This is the first time I've changed the strings. Am I being an idiot or this unnormal? Has anyone had this happen before?

Last edited by Brandon Bankes on 10 Jan 2011 7:47 am; edited 3 times in total
Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2011 6:33 pm    

Brandon that is where they belong on the solid part of the changer.
Bud Harger

Belton, Texas by way of Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2011 6:41 pm     Maybe I don't understand...

...but what I'm seeing are strings that are not centered with the peg that holds the string to the changer. There is no sideward pressure on the strings to cause the strings "creep" off the changer into the crevice between them, so I'm guessing that the strings were off center from the start.

Check the gauges of your string set. Be sure that you are using the proper gauges. If they are too big, they could simply be loose when tuned to pitch. Square the properly gauged strings on the flat surface of the changer surface, before you tighten the string to pitch.

I play a '66 Emmons Push-Pull and have never even heard of this problem. Please let me know how this works out.

Best of luck,

bUd
Brandon Bankes

Zanesville, Ohio
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2011 6:57 pm     string problem

Hah, yep, that fixed it. This was my first time changing strings and I was having a heck of a time keeping the string on the changer while I was wrapping around the peg.

As I started winding, its very possible a few of the strings got knocked off center somehow.

I should probably slow down next time and not get too excited to get these new Buddy Emmons strings on there. Embarassed
Wallace Smith

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2011 5:30 am    

In order to hold the string ball on the changer as you wrap it, I use a hard rubber wedge to hold it in place. Something like a wedge used to mute the strings on a piano as you tune it.
1970 Emmons PP, Evans 500 LV, Roland Ready Strate, Roland GR 50,Ovation Acoustic Electric, Gibson J200, Peavey reno 400, Digital Performer based home recording studio. Mac Pro 8 core computer.Allen Heath Mixers. Many more gadgets with lot's of knobs to twiddle.
Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2011 10:30 am    

When I change strings, I cut the new string to the desired length. I figure about 3" past the tuning key it is going to go on, maybe a little less on large wound string.
I put the string on the tuning key and get a least one wrap abound the post with the ball end not attached at the changer. Then with it on the tuning key I put it on the pin (or in the slot depending which guitar Im doing) on the changer end. With my left hand I hold the string up in the middle and reach over with my right hand with the string winder and "wind" it on to the post of the tuning key.
When it is wound on with enough tension to let go with my left hand, I check that it is centered on the changer finger and properly seated in the roller at the nut. I always mean to get or make one of those little wedges and get myself a power screwdriver for restringing, but there is a zen like thing that I get from being so connected to the guitar with my hands as I'm doing a restring that I kind of enjoy it more with out them I think!
JE:-)>
MSA Legend SD12 5/5 -06'
Mullen S-12 4/5 - 1986
Nashville 112 x2 W/Knob Guards - Don't leave home with out one!
Walker SS rack system - 12"BW's
Quilter Steelaire Combo