| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tight/creaky C pedal-broke 4th string--SOLVED!
Benjamin Jayne

Orange County California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2011 6:59 pm    

I just had a Q. about my C pedal. I've noticed ever since I got my guitar that the C pedal takes significantly more pressure to engage than the B or A pedal, even though I have the travel of the foot pedal loosened to move as far as possible. I tried disconnecting the pedal and engaging the change by pulling the pedal bar, and it was still very 'stiff.' I even hear a slight "creak" sound when pressing the pedal. I applied some lubrication thinking this may be the problem, but the sound remained, and there was no change to the stiffness. Well today, while doing a lick with the BC pedals, I broke my 4th string at the changer for the first time. Just for kicks, I engaged the C pedal with the 4th string missing, and it was much easier to press, which is what I expected, seeing as it had less tension moving only the B string.

I'm just curious if this is typical, and if not, what may be amiss or what could I check or adjust if not.

Thanks everyone

Last edited by Benjamin Jayne on 24 Apr 2011 10:59 am; edited 2 times in total
Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2011 1:00 am    

That more pressure is needed on the C pedal than the other pedals, is normal. That it "creaks" isn't.

Maybe you can put a helper-spring on the 4th string ... take up some of the string tension in the changer so you won't have to push so hard.
Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2011 4:53 am    

On my guitar, the B and C pedals require about the same pressure as the A and B.
As Georg stated, the creak should not be there.

I believe you should start by giving the whole linkage a good clean and lube job - right from the changer, through the bell cranks, ball joints and right down to the pedal pivots. When You are satisfied that everything is moving freely and creak-free and it still acts stiff, then install a raise helper spring.
Benjamin Jayne

Post  Posted 24 Apr 2011 8:19 am    

upon further inspection, the creaking does appear to be coming from the pedal-pedal bar connection and not from the changer. I lubed everything up under the guitar last time, but I didn't take down the pedal bars/pedals and lube those. as for cleaning of those steel parts, are there any recommendations? should I take the pedal and bar off before lubing them?

The helper spring is a good idea Georg. It would be great if giving the pedal and pedal bar a good lube eased up the tension even a little, though.

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2011 10:46 am    

Check visually and clean off what you can get to with a piece of cloth that doesn't give off loose fibers first. If the cloth gets really dirty you may have to loosen rods to get to and clean/lube linkage-points. If the cloth only picks up oil from your latest lubing-attempt, there's usually no need to go further.

As for the pedal/bar connection, I recommend taking the bar off the front legs so you can check for dirt and lube the connection. One-two drops of thin oil where it will penetrate into the connection within an hour or two, should be enough - "overlubing" is not a good idea. Only take the pedal/bar connection itself apart if that's the only way to get oil into it where it creaks.
Benjamin Jayne

Post  Posted 24 Apr 2011 10:48 am    

Well, I gave the pedal bar a clean and it wasn't too dirty, but it's amazing what a little lube can do! I dropped some lube at both pedal pivots (where the pedal meets the bar that holds them) and moved it up and down a few times with the pull bar removed and also placed some lube at the pull bar-pedal joint and voila! No more creaking! I went ahead and applied some lube to all 3 pedals in the same fashion to prevent future wear. Gave it a few min and put the bar back on the legs, and now the C pedal doesn't feel as tight, either. Seems like the gear must have been getting caught up a bit. Kind of glad that 4th string broke yesterday to get my attention on the C pedal-I'm afraid too much use without lube may have damaged it! Good thing it was the C pedal, which for me doesn't get a lot of use Wink

With a new and improved C-pedal, I'm excited to try out some new licks that make use of it. Any suggestions?

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2011 11:19 am    

Benjamin Jayne wrote:
With a new and improved C-pedal, I'm excited to try out some new licks that make use of it. Any suggestions?

Try playing harmony scales using the B and C pedals and strings 4 and 6.

In G this would be 3, 3B&C, 5B&C, 8, 10, 10B&C, 12B&C, 15.

For a variation instead of 12B&C, go to 15B&C, and while holding the B pedal down, release C and kick in the E to Eb knee lever.
Benjamin Jayne

Post  Posted 24 Apr 2011 3:38 pm    

Mike Perlowin wrote:

Try playing harmony scales using the B and C pedals and strings 4 and 6.

In G this would be 3, 3B&C, 5B&C, 8, 10, 10B&C, 12B&C, 15.

For a variation instead of 12B&C, go to 15B&C, and while holding the B pedal down, release C and kick in the E to Eb knee lever.

Nice, ty Mike-I also checked out Paul Sutherland's youtube channel and found the C pedal vids helpful as well.

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2011 5:20 am    

Benjamin...Here is a nice variation using the scale that Mike explained:

At the third fret, strike string 6 then 4,then 6,4,6 while slowly engaging B&C pedals. Next at the fifth fret (pedals still engaged), strike 4,6,4. Strike 6 (fifth fret)and slide up to fret eight while slowly releasing pedals,then play 4&6 (the slide is played as part of the three note pattern). Move to fret ten with pedals released, strike 6,4,then while pedaling B&C, strike 6,4,6. Move to fret twelve, pedals still down, play 4,6,4. Release pedals, move to fret fifteen and strike 4&6 together. Practice playing this pattern in descending order as well....Note: The three note patterns are played more rapidly than the two note patterns, experimenting with the timing should provide satisfactory results.