| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ron Williams "WOW"
Kenny Martin

Chapin, S.C. USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2010 5:21 pm    

Just when you think nobody can sing a real country song somebody sends this to me!
Leona should be proud!

Sounds like a little Merle, Strait, Lefty and a smig of Kenny Hinson!! Pretty awesome!
Don't know who cut the steel on it but it is smooth!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlefq0J6qWw

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2010 5:55 pm    

Excellent traditional country! That steel man is something else. There are several songs of Ron on YT and it sound s like the same steel player on all of them. Thanks Kenny!
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 27 Dec 2010 6:52 pm    

Johnny Cox
Wally Taylor

Hardin, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2010 3:07 am    

I think he listened to a lot of Keith Whitley songs. He has that same style as Keith and it is sure refreshing to hear some real country now and then.
Very nice! Very Happy
Tommy Detamore

Floresville, Texas
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2010 4:43 am    

Ron is a killer! I had the pleasure of working with him regularly when he was in San Antonio. And he's just the nicest guy you could ever meet.

Here is a sample of Ron's version of "Half A Mind" that I was lucky enough to get to record with him. (Sorry I had to put a fadeout on it...Sad )

And Johnny indeed does play so wonderfully on Ron's record! A lot of times our front-of-house engineer would spin this CD right before our show. It would sort of depress me to hear such fine steel playing, right before I was getting ready to go on. Embarassed

www.cherryridgestudio.com
www.steelguitartracksonline.com
Kenny Martin

Chapin, S.C. USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2010 5:22 am    

Hey Tommy!!

Man everything he has is awesome! How do i get the job playing steel behind him? I think i would work free just to play steel for him!!! Cool

Hey Tommy, did you play your steel or were you sneaking around playin somebody else's again? Laughing

sorry brother just had to pick at ya again!!
Took me a long time to get my steel to stop playin those Detamore licks you left on it! thx man! Cool Razz

Pacific Mo. USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2010 7:11 am    

Had the opportunity to work with Ron in Oct. right here in Missouri. Ron is a great guy and very good singer! He walked in the dressing room at the oprey show in full camo, showing us pics of the nice buck he had bagged that morning..I asked him about the steel players on the songs he had sent us, and he indicated that he thought he used a couple different ones, but I do remember Johnny Cox as on several. Ron
Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2010 8:23 pm    

Tommy Detamore wrote:
A lot of times our front-of-house engineer would spin this CD right before our show. It would sort of depress me to hear such fine steel playing, right before I was getting ready to go on. Embarassed

I worked with Ron a couple of times when I was playing fiddle for his mom Leona. Great people to work with, and real country.

Tommy,

I'd feel the same way if they played some of your stuff before I went on. You're much too modest!

Smile
Jerry Lee Newberry

Prim, AR USA
Post  Posted 3 Jan 2011 5:42 am    

Austin has played for Ron 2 or 3 times. He LOVES to play for him, cause he does COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Donna
Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 4 Jan 2011 8:42 am    

Tommy D: Half A Mind has always been a standout song for me ever since ET and BE cut it. I feel certain your work on Ron's cover is as fine as anyone would wish for. The phrasing and expression is very evident of a serious rendition of a now classic melody. I thank you for feeling the same way I do about the song as I heard it in your playing...

Regards, Paul
Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2011 8:37 am    

Tommy, your too kind. I did get to do one CD with Ron titled "Texas Style". It is the one CD Ron did for Heart Of Texas Records. I still don't know how I got called for the session.