| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  "Evil Twin" issues
Patrick Wall

Gulf Shores, AL
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2010 5:03 pm    

Hey everyone. My reverb on my Fender Twin Amp is acting up. Most of the time when I turn the amp on, the reverb doesnt work at all, but about half of the time after playing for about 15 minutes, the reverb starts working fairly well. The other half of the time it never comes on. About a year ago I was having a similar problem and my local amp tech fixed the problem but I cant remember what he did. I want to say that all he did was replace a tube but Im not confident in this recollection. Can anybody confirm or disconfirm that reverb malfunction could have to do with a tube? Merry Christmas everyone!
Tim Heidner

Groves, TX
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2010 5:39 pm    

yep, could definitely be a tube. Look at your tube chart and swap it out with one of the others and see what happens.
Tim Marcus

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2010 5:45 pm    

most likely its not a tube.

The accutronics reverb tanks tend to break the little wires coming off the tiny transformers which disables your reverb. If its an original twin, you definitely want to try replacing the tank first.

A good way to test is to put another fender amp with reverb back to back with your twin and switch out the red and white RCA wires - if your amp works with the other reverb tank you've found your problem. If not, you may have something internal in the amp to troubleshoot.

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2010 6:14 pm    

If it goes and comes back, it could likely be the
connecting points where the tank wires plug into the chassis. The connections can oxidize and cause the intermittent problem. Clean the connections.

Gulf Shores, AL
Post  Posted 22 Dec 2010 8:47 pm    

Thanks for the input. I probably wont be able to work on the thing till after christmas, and hopefully ill find resolution!