| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Jazz Guitarist ...
Thomas Ludwig

Augsburg, Germany
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2010 12:59 pm    

A few weeks ago I visited a friend who is a pro jazz guitarist. I haven't seen him a very long time and I told him about my new love the pedal steel guitar. I tried to explain the pedals on the C6th neck and all the nice chords you can play there. I noticed he counldn't share my enthusiasm about it. Then we watched Bobbe Seymour Jazzy Lesson 1 on youtube.

My friend was quiet for a minute, then he said: how much is a steel guitar ?
Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2010 1:24 pm    

YES!! Smile
Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2010 1:36 pm    

Thomas...send your friend the link to Jim's cool jazz steel site and have him check out the sound clips and vids. If something doesn't grab him at first, tell him to just go on to the next until something does. There's tons of great jazz steel on there! ( Not all C6 either)

http://steelguitarjazz.com/
John Alexander

Post  Posted 15 Dec 2010 3:45 pm    

Funny that this should be posted today. It just happens that I have a jazz guitarist friend coming over tonight to pick up some things. We talked on the phone yesterday, and he said "Oh, by the way, I want you to show me your pedal steel guitar." And, I've been working on some voicings on the Bb6 which he will find interesting.

Rick: BTW, are you going to be performing at the Phoenix show in January?
Richard Damron

Gallatin, Tennessee, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2010 6:38 pm    

Thomas -

I've gotta support Rick Schmidt's suggestion.

Do it and you've got a convert! He'll be hooked!

Respectfully,

Richard
Christopher Woitach

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2010 11:08 pm    

I must say - coming from years of hard core jazz guitar, I have found the pedal steel completely addictive, and I bet most jazz guitarists would have a similar reaction if they thoroughly checked one out...
David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2010 8:17 am    

If you can get their nose outta the fridge & the liquor long enough to concentrate, I always like to turn the jazzers on to the results of the simple YouTube search for "Dave Easley international steel" -

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Dave+Easley+international+steel&aq=f

Very, very, very few "real guitarists" can come close to the melodic development of this guy on his hillbilly cheese slicer.
Darvin Willhoite

Roxton, Tx. USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2010 8:32 am    

I listen to smooth jazz XM radio channel 71 at work all the time, and noticed a song in their rotation a couple of years ago by Tom Grant called "Mambo To The Moon". I thought sure it had pedal steel in it, but upon listening more closely, I could tell it very skillfully done on a 6 string. I researched the recording and found that the guitar part was played by north west coast jazz player, Dan Ballmer.

I contacted him and asked how he was able to get such a convincing steel sound. We emailed back and forth several times, and I found that he was a big fan of Buddy Emmons, and he tried to emulate the pedal steel on this recording by using a volume pedal and a guitar (that was later stolen and never recovered) that had tremendous sustain. He played harmonics and glisses that you would swear were done by a pedal steel. The influences of our instrument go much farther than most of us think.
MSA Millennium, Legend, and Studio Pro, Reese's restored Universal Direction guitar, a restored MSA Classic SS, several amps, new and old, and a Kemper Powerhead that I am really liking. Also a Zum D10, a Mullen RP, and a restored Rose S10, named the "Blue Bird". Also, I have acquired and restored the plexiglass D10 MSA Classic that was built as a demo in the early '70s. I also have a '74 lacquer P/P, with wood necks, and a showroom condition Sho-Bud Super Pro.
Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2010 5:18 pm    

David Mason wrote:
If you can get their nose outta the fridge & the liquor long enough to concentrate, I always like to turn the jazzers on to the results of the simple YouTube search for "Dave Easley international steel" -

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Dave+Easley+international+steel&aq=f

Very, very, very few "real guitarists" can come close to the melodic development of this guy on his hillbilly cheese slicer.

I could be wrong, but I believe that Dave is the only pedal steel player who has ever had a regular chair (recorded multiple albums with and toured extensively with) a major international jazz artist (Brian Blades).