| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gibson Century 6 Salmon ... worth ?
Mitch Crane

1000 Oaks, CA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2010 6:54 pm    

Hey guys, I recently aquired from a forum member a Gibson Century 6 lap steel... the salmon version w/ P90... got it for an 'OK' price... not a steal, but paid what I thought it was worth.

Then, I went surfing to find comparable specimens and found these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230562798680&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-century-6-1956-bittersweet#

Here's the one I bought:
http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y221/ccrane/GIBSON%20CENTURY%206%20LAP%20STEEL/

It is in great condition and better, sounds fantastic... so my question..

What is the "norm" price that this model in good condition should go for ?
Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2010 7:08 pm    

Was that price $2500 bucks on one of those? Gee whiz, what are those people thinking?
Must be smokin' some bad stuff......
Mitch Crane

1000 Oaks, CA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2010 7:22 pm    

Yeah, the Chicago Music Exchange one is got to be a misprint eh ? For that matter the eBAY one is REALLY beat up IMO...and they want 1K ?.. really ?
Bill Creller

Saginaw, Michigan, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2010 7:44 pm    

Ebay is full of wild prices on old lap steels alright. Hope people do their home work before buying that stuff.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2010 8:24 pm    

Mitch, the asking price is one thing, and the selling price is something else. A lot of dealers post insane high prices and hope that some low-information buyer will come along and pay three times what the guitar is worth.
Mitch Crane

1000 Oaks, CA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2010 8:26 pm    

Thanks guys...so what is a "normal", realistic asking price for this model ? I'm happy with what I got and what I paid, just wondering what the actual market, real world pricing is on this model (understanding that "market" is whatever the market will bear)
Peter Lindelauf

Penticton, BC
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2010 9:20 pm    

You could always list your guitar on eBay with the price you paid as a Reserve and let the "market" tell you, Mitch. Just my opinion, but I think you paid a premium price for that guitar in the condition it appears to be in. I wouldn't have paid half what you did but that's just me skewing the "norm." (If one showed up on the local craigslist, I'd go $250-300 tops...) That doesn't make it worth any less. That other people are asking absurd prices for the same guitar doesn't make yours worth more either, if that's the gist of your question. You don't seem concerned that you paid too much. What it's really worth is the music you make with it, one would hope.

1000 Oaks, CA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2010 9:29 pm    

Thanks Peter. It IS the music one makes that makes it worth what's paid and yes, I'm OK with what I paid. Interesting that your figure is 1/10th of Chicago Music Exchange's asking price though. Not too sure you'd find one for $250 but what do I know Oh Well
Peter Lindelauf

Penticton, BC
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2010 9:54 pm    

Well, I got my Fender lap steel for less than 1/20th of the $7250 one mentioned in another post today. That doesn't mean mine has rocketed in value, in the "real" world or in my own life.

I'm not looking for a Century 6, myself. So, in my case, that's all one would hypothetically be worth to me because I'm not personally interested in flipping guitars for a profit. Every market has its hucksters. My point was--assuming that we're neither suckers nor speculators--is that any guitar is worth what *you* are willing to pay. It's real value is in how well it plays. Maybe I'm mistaken in thinking that we're pretty well all players around here and not collectors or speculators who drive prices above what most players can afford. Or would pay even if it was affordable.

I hope you enjoy your Century 6.

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2010 11:13 pm    

Quote:
...so what is a "normal", realistic asking price for this model ? I'm happy with what I got and what I paid, just wondering what the actual market, real world pricing is on this model (understanding that "market" is whatever the market will bear)

For what it's worth (no pun), the 2011 VintageGuitMag price guide lists the value of a Century 6, in excellent cond, at $650. A Mint condition guitar like yours, Mitch, always sells for more than book value.
Mitch Crane

1000 Oaks, CA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2010 8:33 am    

Thanks Doug ! That's the kind of response I was looking for. Is that an on-line mag / subscription or is it only available in printed hard copy ? I'd love to pick it up somewhere so I have a handy reference on est. value of guitars.
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2010 8:49 am    

click---> http://www.vintageguitar.com/priceguide
John Allison

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2010 9:05 am    

The color alone should make it more collectible as well as being just plain cooler as a player. I use the Fender version of that color - Shell Pink, but I tend to finish it out with some tint in the clear coats to provide an aging effect. It ends up being not so far from the Salmon. It's one of my all time favorite colors, be it on a steel, a tele or a 50's Rambler Cross Country wagon.
www.allisonguitars.com
chas smith R.I.P.

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2010 2:47 pm    

I have an early 50's Century 6 and a Century 10. The knobs are probably worth more than the guitars, and the guitars weren't cheap.